Options

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - V1.1 is out. New Cars! New Achievements!

• Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hate to be the jaded hammer in the drawer. But for a game that has it's roots in the original NFS:HP, and other awesome NFS titles like Most wanted, I find the city chasing to be wayyy too wide open, I'm really missing all the dirty city shortcuts and (in city) freeway chases. It just doesn't have the same magic. Something about it feels detached. I dunno.

Also, for a game published by the burnout folks, why are there only... 2 different crash animations, none of which have any of the satisfying physics and no really gnarly looking bent up cars or crashes. (is this because of them using licensed cars?) ..either way the shunt, crash, repeat game got boring after about 1000 times in BO: Paradise, it's still boring now.

Police weapons seem thrown in for good measure, but the Spike strips, EMP and Helicopter attacks are ALL THE EXACT SAME THING. what up with that? The helicopter..... drops more spike strips!??! what the hell.

Also the stage select map looking exactly like Burnout 3/Paradise/Revenge really hurts their presentation score for me, actually the presentation is pretty obnoxious all around... Ugly menus, completely unnecessary flash showcasing of EVERY CAR you unlock (is there a skip unlock reward scene button on the PC, because yeesh I have not found it.) And yeah, the driving locations just leave a lot to be desired, absolutely nothing memorable or idyllic about these speedways.

I really really do want to enjoy this game, but I'm finding it stretched a little thin for fun. Being pretty in motion is not enough (in defense it is a very very good looking game, NFS always is.) :?

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is my first game in the NFS franchise, so that may be part of why I'm able to enjoy it so much. I was a bit let down by the lack of destructibility as well, but I assumed that just came part-and-parcel with having licensed cars in the game. I don't have any issue with the presentation, and am completely of the opposite mind with regards to there being nothing memorable or idyllic about the roads. On the other hand, I'm pretty damn shallow when it comes to games.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nalouto wrote: »
    I hate to be the jaded hammer in the drawer. But for a game that has it's roots in the original NFS:HP, and other awesome NFS titles like Most wanted, I find the city chasing to be wayyy too wide open, I'm really missing all the dirty city shortcuts and (in city) freeway chases. It just doesn't have the same magic. Something about it feels detached. I dunno.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. There's almost no part of the map that's within a city limits. It's all freeways, winding mountain roads, etc.
    Also, for a game published by the burnout folks, why are there only... 2 different crash animations, none of which have any of the satisfying physics and no really gnarly looking bent up cars or crashes. (is this because of them using licensed cars?) ..either way the shunt, crash, repeat game got boring after about 1000 times in BO: Paradise, it's still boring now.

I'm pretty sure this game is not designed for people who didn't like Burnout Paradise and anybody who didn't think it would be a lot like Burnout Paradise is kind of a silly goose.
    Police weapons seem thrown in for good measure, but the Spike strips, EMP and Helicopter attacks are ALL THE EXACT SAME THING.

No they aren't.
    what up with that? The helicopter..... drops more spike strips!??!

It drops them in front of the target. The helicopter can't be outrun, so it's a viable option to slow a target down, whereas ordinary spike strips require you to pass. What do you want the helicopter to do, launch Hellfire missiles at the racer?

EMP is another tail chase weapon and requires good timing and awareness of the road ahead to be effective.
    Also the stage select map looking exactly like Burnout 3/Paradise/Revenge really hurts their presentation score for me, actually the presentation is pretty obnoxious all around... Ugly menus, completely unnecessary flash showcasing of EVERY CAR you unlock (is there a skip unlock reward scene button on the PC, because yeesh I have not found it.)

Now you're just picking nits. The car unlock showcases take like 4 seconds.
    And yeah, the driving locations just leave a lot to be desired, absolutely nothing memorable or idyllic about these speedways.

Um, sure thing, needs more generic urban jungle city environments with courses made up entirely of 90 degree corners. Desert vistas, towering evergreen forests, snow-capped mountains and sunny oceanfront, no interesting or memorable scenery there.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I find EMPs pretty lame, though. They barely seem to do anything. They really only seem useful if you hit them right before a turn, and how the hell are you supposed to time that since it takes like 10 seconds to go off. Maybe the higher level ones are better.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I find EMPs pretty lame, though. They barely seem to do anything. They really only seem useful if you hit them right before a turn, and how the hell are you supposed to time that since it takes like 10 seconds to go off. Maybe the higher level ones are better.

In fairness I agree that the EMP is hard to use effectively (though I'm making allowances that I'm just not good at it yet), but to say it's the same thing as all the other weapons is just silly.

All the weapons are the same you guys, all they do is try to slow down and crash the other cars, amirite? It's so lame.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I find EMPs are best for putting a severe dent in their speed so you can catch up, or for dealing the finishing blow, they're like the red shells of this game.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I find EMPs are best for putting a severe dent in their speed so you can catch up, or for dealing the finishing blow, they're like the red shells of this game.

Yeah, I pretty much use them if they have one bar left and I'm not catching up very quickly. I've found they don't seem to slow down all that much, but I'll have to use them more.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    what even happens when you get hit by an EMP in singleplayer?
    I hit other cars and they exploooode, cartwheeling off the road with sparks everywhere and my subwoofer trembling. I get hit by one and my tail-lights go out. Then I just boost away.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    I get hit by one and my tail-lights go out. Then I just boost away.

Pretty much that, but that's about all I see happen to the AI when I use it on them. Supposedly hitting them when their forward momentum will carry them into something, like when they're about to hit a curve or are angled away from the center of the road, is the opportune time. I haven't had much luck with it yet, though.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My only issue as a cop is that when racers come to a complete stop from crashing into a wall I have to twiddle my thumbs waiting for them to get back in the race.

Uh, SCPD, I... I could probably just book him without sending him flying upside down across the pavement, just saying.

That being said, I love the tounge-in-cheek comments after you send someone flying off the road and you hear 'Gave him a ticket, that's my 50th'.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My only issue as a cop is that when racers come to a complete stop from crashing into a wall I have to twiddle my thumbs waiting for them to get back in the race.

Uh, SCPD, I... I could probably just book him without sending him flying upside down across the pavement, just saying.

That's pretty much my only major gripe with playing as a cop too; I've brought two guys to a standstill at the same time because they hit traffic whilst trying to get into a position to fire EMPs, so why the hell do I have to let them teleport halfway down the road, speeding off at 100mph faster than my at-a-standstill car, rather than arrest them there and then?

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    Crazy RobotCrazy Robot Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I have to agree with this, though they are a lot harder to use than red shells, but we ain't playing Mario Kart either.

I'm still trying to figure them out. The timing's tricky, coupled with having to keep yourself steady, it's easy to lose the target. But I've already run into racer online who use it extremely well. Saving it until the last moment when they can't catch up to a racer who's got 1 bar left. Or using it just like the game says, before a turn.

I've been taken out by EMPs on turns twice in the last hour. Boom, lights go out, you hit the guardrail taking a lot of damage.

Crazy Robot on
    3DS Friend Code: 1478-4479-7610
    PSN: Alien-Six
    Steam: Alien Six
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So when does the 3D patch come out, have they announced a date for it yet?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Strangely, this game seems to perform a lot better if I turn off the turbo mode on my PC and let the processor chug along at only 2.26Ghz.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How stupid of EA/Criterion to not use Steam for this game. Such a waste.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Holy crap, is it just me or is the Audi TT completely outclassed against the Porsche in the "Complete Control" duel race?

I was driving clean and the Porsche was just pulling away effortlessly, made the Audi look like a complete dog. Maxed out at 12 seconds ahead before the rubber band AI reeled it in some, and even then I could never close in enough to even make the guy look in his rear view.

Going to try it again in the TT and then once more driving the Porsche, although I suspect that the AI will suddenly make the Audi competitive in the latter case.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Holy crap, is it just me or is the Audi TT completely outclassed against the Porsche in the "Complete Control" duel race?

I was driving clean and the Porsche was just pulling away effortlessly, made the Audi look like a complete dog. Maxed out at 12 seconds ahead before the rubber band AI reeled it in some, and even then I could never close in enough to even make the guy look in his rear view.

Going to try it again in the TT and then once more driving the Porsche, although I suspect that the AI will suddenly make the Audi competitive in the latter case.

If that's the race I think it is, the Audi really is that much slower. I definitely recall one of the duels being like that.

Didn't stop me picking it and winning though, although I think that was mainly due to not having unlocked the Porsche.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I have to agree with this, though they are a lot harder to use than red shells, but we ain't playing Mario Kart either.

I'm still trying to figure them out. The timing's tricky, coupled with having to keep yourself steady, it's easy to lose the target. But I've already run into racer online who use it extremely well. Saving it until the last moment when they can't catch up to a racer who's got 1 bar left. Or using it just like the game says, before a turn.

I've been taken out by EMPs on turns twice in the last hour. Boom, lights go out, you hit the guardrail taking a lot of damage.

Oh yeah, when I said red shells, I meant balanced red shells.

I find once you get the distance and positioning right, you have to be mindful of spike strips, as I've nearly been tripped up by the rather impressive AI taking advantage of the fact I have to tail behind them.

Also, I've only been hit once by a racer EMP, braking/spike stripping always seems to do the trick.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As much as I hate stupid cop partners, I love the badk-stabbiness that comes into play when 2 racers are out in front with a couple of cops closing the gap. For one glorious second you think "We're going to make it man, we're going to beat this" and then you drop a spike strip that just nails Mr 2nd Place, so that everyone piles into his wreck giving you an extra 4 seconds to get away.

Great freaking moments those are.

Shutdown on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How exactly does the EMP choose who to lock? I've EMPed another cop way too many times when there was a racer right there perfectly lined up.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I find once you get the distance and positioning right, you have to be mindful of spike strips, as I've nearly been tripped up by the rather impressive AI taking advantage of the fact I have to tail behind them.

Yeah, I've seen the AI pull some scary shit. There was one guy last night that kept doing things that seemed way more than coincidence. Like he'd slow down to let me hit him right as it would cause me to bounce off of him and into an oncoming car or a guard rail. They also tend to drop spike strips at places where it's impossible to dodge. The bastards.

I do find the use of force hilarious, though, just seeing these dudes go flying off of cliffs and stuff.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Yeah, I've seen the AI pull some scary shit. There was one guy last night that kept doing things that seemed way more than coincidence. Like he'd slow down to let me hit him right as it would cause me to bounce off of him and into an oncoming car or a guard rail. They also tend to drop spike strips at places where it's impossible to dodge. The bastards.

I do find the use of force hilarious, though, just seeing these dudes go flying off of cliffs and stuff.

It's great because it's exactly the kind of stuff I would expect a dangerous racer to pull off.

I agree about the use of force, at one point your limited equipment is justified due to "the SCPD recieving cutbacks" and I'm like "No, really?"

Also, are you playing this on 360? I need some challengers, none of my friends appear to have this game yet. GT is my PA handle.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nope, PC. It runs absolutely gorgeously on my machine at max settings, too. I'm constantly impressed by this thing.

I doubt anyone wants to compare against me, anyway, because I'm a dirty cheater using infinite nitrous (but I don't play online).

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Does this game have split-screen multiplayer?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No split-screen.

Crazy Robot on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So lame. I had so much fun with the original HP doing that.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So now that the game seems to have smoothed out for me, at least for the moment, is there anybody here on PC who could be my "friend" who isn't a lousy cheating scumbag?

When the game tells me I "remain first on the speedwall" now it sort of feels like I'm being mocked.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I need some competition on 360, who else is playing on it?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've asked a couple of times and not gotten any replies, so I'll try again. Is there any consensus on which version is better? I have a PS3 and a 360, I'm leaning towards PS3 right now though so I can play it in 3D when the patch comes out that they promised.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    And to round out the trifecta, need more PS3 players on my autolog. PSN chrisfom

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    On Metacritic the PS3 version has 89 and the 360 88, so there doesn't appear to be any major difference at first glance.

Early impressions seem to be that Criterion have done a good job all round on multiple platforms.

Well, except on the Wii, which only has two reviews, both negative.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyone looking for 360 players can add me. =D

No guarantees I'll join on invite but I like the concept of the scoreboards.

Edit:
    doh, xbox gamertag: sym007

symbolsor on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Even though it's in my sig, my PSN is Alien-Six

Add me if you need some competition!

Crazy Robot on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So the lowest scored review I've seen for this game mentions that it has "bland and stale routes" yet a video review that I saw said it had some of the most gorgeous racing game tracks ever seen. They were fucking gorgeous, hmm who to believe? ;)

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't see a contradiction. You can have some pretty scenery and still be boring to drive/race on.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So the point of playing as a cop online is to impede and wreck the other cops, right?

Oh, it's not?

Can we circulate this memo, please? Some people appear to be fuzzy on this concept.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So the point of playing as a cop online is to impede and wreck the other cops, right?

Oh, it's not?

Can we circulate this memo, please? Some people appear to be fuzzy on this concept.

Imagine me typing this with a complete lack of surprise, good ol' G.I.F.T.

Also, new plan - role play as Sgt Cross from Most Wanted during the cop career.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    35 bucks at Target for Black Friday. I'll be camping out for a TV anyway, so I shall pick this up too for PS3. But I won't be opening it till that 3D patch comes out.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    35 bucks at Target for Black Friday. I'll be camping out for a TV anyway, so I shall pick this up too for PS3. But I won't be opening it till that 3D patch comes out.

Is the 3D that important to you?

Crazy Robot on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Is the 3D that important to you?

I have plenty of other games to play, and I just got a 3D kit for my TV, so yes any games that I could enjoy 3D with I'd rather play in 3D.

The_Spaniard on