As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PSP2 Confirmed, "Very Powerful" Says Netherrealm Studios

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The real killer for the PSP and forum respect were those two and a half years that came from the period of about July '05 to about the start of '08 where the PSP got approximately one or two games a year that weren't shitty PS2 ports.

It was a very strange inversion that the DS and PSP had that summer of '05. The PSP launched with amazing titles (Wipeout Pure! Hot Shots Golf! Lumines!) and then went barren for years; the DS launched barren (Mario 64 DS! Feel the Magic! The Metroid Prime Hunters demo!) and then went supernova with Canvas Curse, Meteos, Nintendogs and Advance Wars DS. I served my tour of duty in the handheld campaign of the Console Wars, but ever since I stopped playing sides and bought a used PSP, I've been much happier.

I still don't know what the fuck Sony is going to do with the PSP2, though. Good luck with all that!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Where's that image of the DS eating a wallet?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I buy more PSP games then I do PS3 or 360 games despite not having a working PSP right now.

They are just soo cheap. When you can get the best PSP offers new for $15 or less six months or less after they launch just about every single time. PSP bargain bins are just that, a bargain.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    After recently purchasing and using the iPhone, I decided that there is one absolutely necessary feature that the PSP2 (and the 3DS) need to have.

24/7 auto saving.

No matter where you are in the game, if you shut the game off, or go to menu, or even shut off the entire handheld abruptly, the games will ALWAYS be automatically saved, and immediately boot up where you left off once you turn it back on.

This, I believe, is crucial.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Go basically has that.

It's much less essential on a handheld then it is on a phone though.

you see, access to a phone could be a life or death scenario, so conserving battery life is a must.

For the DS though most games have suspend saves or save anywhere so its really not a big deal.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, if you shut the DS, it goes into sleep mode and you can just open it back up and go on from where you left off. I would be utterly shocked (and extremely upset - that would make me reconsider a purchase) if that was removed. It's a wonderful and absolutely necessary feature for a portable gaming device.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know how it works with Go, but suspend save on the DS isn't an ideal solution either.

It takes at least a minute to set the save up, and you can't do it if you're in a cutscene or something. Also, once you resume it, you lose your previous auto-save data, which means you can either forget to make a new one, or forget to make a proper save.

The idea of a portable handheld is to play it anywhere, right? If you're out in public and there are distractions or reasons that you have to absolutely put down the handheld, then you won't have time to make that suspend save.

Instant save for instant shutdown. I want it.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I once had a DS in sleep mode for 15 days.

I think the longest my PSP 1000 lasted was about 4. I know a 2000 with a good battery in it can go around a week.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Um, close the screen. The DS goes into sleep mode and can last damn near a week like that.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't know how it works with Go, but suspend save on the DS isn't an ideal solution either.

It takes at least a minute to set the save up, and you can't do it if you're in a cutscene or something. Also, once you resume it, you lose your previous auto-save data, which means you can either forget to make a new one, or forget to make a proper save.

The idea of a portable handheld is to play it anywhere, right? If you're out in public and there are distractions or reasons that you have to absolutely put down the handheld, then you won't have time to make that suspend save.

Instant save for instant shutdown. I want it.

Go save works like the Wii's Virtual Console. It gives you one suspend save.

If you can't bother to real save after that, then I have no sympathy.

Also there isn't a single DS game whose suspend save takes more than ten seconds to work.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    as long as I can play monster hunter without crabclaw, I'll be happy with it

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    While the PSP2 may not be able to compete with the 3DS, I doubt it would be as game-less (outside of Japan) as the PSP has been.

The big concern is that a LOT of Japanese developers are pee-your-pants excited for the 3DS. They're falling all over themselves to try to come up with games and demos for the thing. Unless the PSP2 can manage a feature that gets people that excited, most of the energy is going to go to Nintendo.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    driver01zdriver01z Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd be all for a PSP2 if: it has a Trophy system; two thumbsticks; at least 10 games that I want to play; and really, if Sony wants market appeal, it needs to be a cell phone too.

driver01z on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    driver01z wrote: »
    I'd be all for a PSP2 if: it has a Trophy system; two thumbsticks; at least 10 games that I want to play; and really, if Sony wants market appeal, it needs to be a cell phone too.

Given that the smartphone market has become increasingly competitive to the point that the market can't really support the platforms that are already out there, much less an additional one, I'd say making it a cell phone would be suicide.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah I have an iPhone, I don't need my PSP2 to be a phone

if I get one

which is unlikely

Rent on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In all likelihood, they'll try to make it as much like an iPhone as possible, which bodes badly for us all.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    In all likelihood, they'll try to make it as much like an iPhone as possible, which bodes badly for us all.

Hell, the entire reason the PSP Go exists is to be as much like the iPhone as possible. And the current PSP ads are all about attacking phones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IOt19iOED0

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, I'll give it to Sony - in terms of bad marketing, they have it in spades.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's not a bad idea, just badly executed.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arde wrote: »
    Well, I'll give it to Sony - in terms of bad marketing, they have it in spades.

215556028_gneLb-L-2.jpg

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know, I love how all we know about the PSP2 is that it's in development, but already it sucks compared to the 3DS.

It's amazing how Sony not only lost the handheld war this generation, but it somehow has salted the very ground for generations of handheld consoles to come. The PSP2 could be beyond the PS3 in power for all we know, but it sucks compared to 3DS (which maybe 1% have actually played).

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know, I love how all we know about the PSP2 is that it's in development, but already it sucks compared to the 3DS.

It's amazing how Sony not only lost the handheld war this generation, but it somehow has salted the very ground for generations of handheld consoles to come. The PSP2 could be beyond the PS3 in power for all we know, but it sucks compared to 3DS (which maybe 1% have actually played).

That would be awful if it's beyond the PS3 in power. I sincerely hope it is not.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Expectations for sales =/= expectations for general system quality.

Also, as Sporky said, a PS3-powered PSP2 would cost an arm and a leg, not to mention the most powerful system has NEVER won its generation. Sony needs to find something else to wow the market, which is the problem.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No, my main problem is the half hour battery life.

Handhelds are a huge balancing act, you can't just pump them with steroids and assume they'll fill their role effectively.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Uh, guys?

Wouldn't a dev kit for an unreleased, undisclosed portable system be kind of, um, conceptual at best? How much of the system would have to be standardized or figured before Sony could conceivably start placing PSP2 dev kits into third party hands?

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PSP2, I hear it has TWO sticks.

It damn well better...

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Go save works like the Wii's Virtual Console. It gives you one suspend save.

Or basically any emulator. It basically just creates an image of the systems RAM and saves it into storage.

Anyway, uh I'd hardly consider even a reliable source actual confirmation f the system. The PSP2's confirmed when Sony announce it, until then it's still just speculation.

I do hope however that Sony have pulled their fingers out of their asses this time around. SCEA and SCEE in particular need to not treat it like the ginger, left handed step-child of the family. Don't just give it console leftovers and spinoffs, establish handheld-specific studios that develop games specifically to suit the bloody handheld.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A couple of months ago, some other developer was saying they had a PSP 2 to develop on as well. They said it's architecture is similar to the PS3 - it's cell based, with 4 SPUs instead of 7. They didn't comment on the actual speed of the SPUs or CPU though.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    All I want is for them to not release a new version of the thing every six fucking months after release and to make sure there's some good backwards compatability with the first. I still haven't gotten around to getting a PSP because of all the different versions that fuck one thing or another up, and I ain't gonna' give the 2 a chance either if there's a good chance this whole clusterfuck's just going to start over again.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I do hope however that Sony have pulled their fingers out of their asses this time around. SCEA and SCEE in particular need to not treat it like the ginger, left handed step-child of the family. Don't just give it console leftovers and spinoffs, establish handheld-specific studios that develop games specifically to suit the bloody handheld.

You mean like LocoRoco, Patapon, and Patchwork Heroes?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »
    All I want is for them to not release a new version of the thing every six fucking months after release and to make sure there's some good backwards compatability with the first. I still haven't gotten around to getting a PSP because of all the different versions that fuck one thing or another up, and I ain't gonna' give the 2 a chance either if there's a good chance this whole clusterfuck's just going to start over again.

Um... PSP's only improved from 1000-3000. I mean, you might consider the 3000 a downgrade because of the scan line thing, but that's really overblown. The only PSP model that was a downgrade was the Go. And still not really if you don't mind not buying UMDs.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If it has two analog sticks, I may just buy it. If it doesn't then well god damn it. I mean, I liked my PSP, despite most of the games for it being either ports or are ported to something else I own. But playing some things on it hurt. A lot.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    JaspaJonesJaspaJones Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If it has two analog sticks, I may just buy it. If it doesn't then well god damn it. I mean, I liked my PSP, despite most of the games for it being either ports or are ported to something else I own. But playing some things on it hurt. A lot.

What he said. Two thumbsticks and comparable graphics to the PS3 and i'll buy that shit.

JaspaJones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    JaspaJones wrote: »

What he said. Two thumbsticks and comparable graphics to the PS3 and i'll buy that shit.

So you won't buy it?

Expecting a portable system to do that is ridiculous.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The PSP already pulls off some impressive PS2-level graphics.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    PSP is decidedly below PS2 in graphics.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If they go dual-analogs they'll have to add another row in the back buttons. L1/L2/R1/R2 probably. If not then you've only got two buttons that are reachable while you are using the two sticks. I have a feeling this thing is going to be fat.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think PSP2 needs another analog stick, and fully functional PSN support. I think it should work exactly like it does on PS3. You turn it on and you have your same friends list there. They can see you on and what you're playing, and you can go online and play against them whenever (obviously when you're on wifi). Somehow I doubt the 3DS will really push the online stuff, since it's Nintendo, so I think if Sony can really make people want to socialize and compete with each other on the device they can really make something of it.

I mean right now in Japan the PSP is gaining a lot of sales because of what? Monster Hunter. But over there it's fine and dandy to have to be near people. They're a smaller country. Here it isn't. We need online play. I shouldn't have to use ad hoc or x link or whatever. It should just work.

What'd also be interesting going in hand with that is if they partnered with a phone company to offer users the option of paying for 3g (or 4g by the time that's out) support. That could possibly be part of another higher tier of Playstation Plus. Not too sure how well gaming would work on 3g or 4g or whatever, but I'm sure some types of games could work, and it's an option.

urahonky wrote: »
    If they go dual-analogs they'll have to add another row in the back buttons. L1/L2/R1/R2 probably. If not then you've only got two buttons that are reachable while you are using the two sticks. I have a feeling this thing is going to be fat.

I think they could fit. They'd just have to not be as freakishly huge as the L and R buttons on the PSP are now.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I worry that Sony might decide not to include a second analog stick, assuming that the touch screen makes it unnecessary. Hope not, though.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    urahonky wrote: »

Why would they need that? Slap a second stick on the right side of the thing and call it a day.

Transdimensional Whale on