Options

Do you go back and pay for groceries that the clerk missed?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Are we really arguing that it's at least imprudent to put merchandise you haven't paid for in your pockets?

Is this really a thing that is happening?

We were talking about whether or not using your pockets to carrying things to the register is a problem or not until Evander had his usual flipout, yes.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Treating your customers like thieves is a wonderful idea. On a side note what about something like a gas station that doesn't have baskets?

How large is this gas station that there is a ton of shit there that you need to buy, and it is tyoo big for you to make multiple trips to the check out counter to put shit down (you say "I'll be right back, I'm grabbing more stuff")

The problem with allowing customers to put merchandise in their pockets is that requiring customers to perform pocket checks before leavign would not go over very well, but if you ALLOW customers to put things in their pockets, and DON'T require pocket checks, a whole LOT of people are going to take advantage of this by stealing things. If you feel you are being treated as a criminal, don't blame it on the stores, blame it on the criminals who will do things like sneak out palates of bottled water.

Evander on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Michael H wrote: »
    When I go into a store I always at least pick up a carrying-basket.

Then I don't have to put things in my pockets.

Clearly I am some kind of savant for doing this

You make it sound like those of us who don't always pick up a basket are retards.

I'm making it sound like it's not that hard to pick up a basket.

As someone pointed out before, the logic of "I am in a store, I will put stuff in my pockets" just does not compute with my brain in any way, shape, or form. It is simply beyond my comprehension, one could even say that it's incomprehensible.

I'm not too worried about what others do; I don't work in loss prevention any more. But when I did, that pissed me off. That's all.

Michael H on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    Treating your customers like thieves is a wonderful idea. On a side note what about something like a gas station that doesn't have baskets?

How large is this gas station that there is a ton of shit there that you need to buy, and it is tyoo big for you to make multiple trips to the check out counter to put shit down (you say "I'll be right back, I'm grabbing more stuff")

Do you know how annoying that is to do? Especially when there are lines and counter space isn't really available anyways. It becomes especially difficult when you're buying multiple bottled drinks.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I ROUTINELY forgo any sort of basket in grocery stores. I have big hands and generally purchase few things. When I find I can't carry any more, though, I walk right back, and grab a basket. If a security guard is staring at me, I smile at him.

It is really THAT simple.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Do you know how annoying that is to do? Especially when there are lines and counter space isn't really available anyways. It becomes especially difficult when you're buying multiple bottled drinks.

Why are you stocking up at the gas station?

Also, is that annoyance more or less than a pocket-check?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I live in a small town where grocery stores are sometimes a premium. Having some friends over that night, stop by the gas station down the street and load up on snacks. Grocery store you drive 20 miles each way.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I live in a small town where grocery stores are sometimes a premium. Having some friends over that night, stop by the gas station down the street and load up on snacks. Grocery store you drive 20 miles each way.

Then you're trading conveniences.

Why not bitch about how the store won't just deliver to you, or about how the store insists that you pay them for things. Surely the other way around on those would both be easier for you, no?

Still no answer on pocket-checks. Yea or nay? If stores are allowing things to be stuffed in pockets, they need to have SOME kind of security measure.

Evander on
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can't put things on or near the counter while you go get more stuff?

Lucid on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait, is some one actually arguing IN FAVOR of putting stuff that they haven't purchased in to their pockets?

WHAT THE FUCK?!

If I saw a dude doing that in my store he would be kicked out immediately, and his name sent out to the other stores in my area, on a watch list.

Your pockets are for carrying things that you ALREADY own. Carryign things that you INTEND to own in your pockets is called shoplifting.

This is utterly ridiculous. You are being ridiculous.

japan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Why not bitch about how the store won't just deliver to you, or about how the store insists that you pay them for things. Surely the other way around on those would both be easier for you, no?

I'm not complaining about going to the gas station. I'm pointing out there are flaws in your just use a basket logic.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lucid wrote: »
    You can't put things on or near the counter while you go get more stuff?

As pointed out earlier. Counters tend to only have room for one person to put their items on while checking out. So no that's not an option.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No, there's flaws in your use of a gas station to counter the basket logic, because pocketing items is uneccesary in a place as small as a gas station.

I don't now what counters you've been at but I haven't found tiny counters to be a very common thing. Alternatively, you could just wait.

Lucid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I'm not complaining about going to the gas station. I'm pointing out there are flaws in your just use a basket logic.

I never said "just a use a basket". Some one said "what if I forgot to get a basket" and I said "go back for one, then".

Your complaint was about making multiple trips to the counter, which is incredibly silly, because no gas station is so large as to make that untenible. Any place that large *gasp* offers baskets.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No, there's flaws in your use of a gas station to counter the basket logic, because pocketing items is uneccesary in a place as asmall as a gas station.

I don't now what counters you've been at but I haven't found tiny counters to be a very common thing.

Except you can't hold anything and baskets don't exist. Not all of us live in places where we can go down the stairs of our apartment to the corner grocery store.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is probably the fucking dumbest debate I've read in a while. Everyone in this thread is completely unreasonable.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I never said "just a use a basket". Some one said "what if I forgot to get a basket" and I said "go back for one, then".

Your complaint was about making multiple trips to the counter, which is incredibly silly, because no gas station is so large as to make that untenible. Any place that large *gasp* offers baskets.

No sorry you're wrong. Go out into some rural areas sometime. You are completely and totally wrong.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Tell you what, if you are in a place that has no baskets AND tiny counters, then what you should do is go up to the clerk and say "hey, I'm gonna put these in my pockets, just because I can't carry everything at once. Is that alright?"

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Don't hold it? Just wait until the other customer leaves, pick up what you want, then go to the counter.

You're just being extremely situational here.
    This is probably the fucking stupidest debate I've read in a while. Everyone in this thread is completely unreasonable.
    Oh, come on. Don't be such a downer. I love a good pointless argument every so often.

Lucid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Don't hold it? Just wait until the other customer leaves, pick up what you want, then go to the counter.

Situations I run into often isn't extremely situational. Your point comes from a narrow view of experience that doesn't work for everyone else. Also there are reasons stores don't treat you like you're a thief until after you've purposely walked out without paying for items. Ignoring the fact that the shop lifting charge wouldn't hold, its bad business.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Demerdar wrote: »
    This is probably the fucking dumbest debate I've read in a while. Everyone in this thread is completely unreasonable.

Welcome to the internet, we are glad to have you

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Situations I run into often isn't extremely situational. Your point comes from a narrow view of experience that doesn't work for everyone else. Also there are reasons stores don't treat you like you're a thief until after you've purposely walked out without paying for items. Ignoring the fact that the shop lifting charge wouldn't hold, its bad business.
    It's situational to the argument at hand. Seeing as most people don't encounter these rare tiny counter stores. I've been in plenty or rural areas, and they've all had ample counter space in their gas stations.

Lucid on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What if I only have one arm and I'm allergic to the plastic the baskets are made out of, and I'm a deaf mute so I can't go explain things to anyone, and the store doesn't have counters? WHAT THEN, POCKET NAYSAYERS? DO YOU THINK STORES SHOULD TREAT DISABLED PEOPLE LIKE THIEVES!?!?!

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited September 2010

It's bad business to allow folks to stuff things in their pockets.

And who said that charges would be brought against anyone stuffing things in their pockets. Being kicked out of a store is FAR different from criminal charges.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ego wrote: »
    What if I only have one arm and I'm allergic to the plastic the baskets are made out of, and I'm a deaf mute so I can't go explain things to anyone, and the store doesn't have counters? WHAT THEN, POCKET NAYSAYERS? DO YOU THINK STORES SHOULD TREAT DISABLED PEOPLE LIKE THIEVES!?!?!

That is where your seeing-eye pony comes into play

some people, honestly

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

And who said that charges would be brought against anyone stuffing things in their pockets. Being kicked out of a store is FAR different from criminal charges.

Do you know what happens when you kick out paying customers and treat them like criminals? They tell everyone not to shop there. Then you stop getting paid.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes, that certainly happens a lot. One customer influencing the entire customer base.

Lucid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes, that certainly happens a lot. One customer influencing the entire customer base.

There's something you're taught management school. Every happy customer will tell 3 of their friends. Every angry one will tell 10 of their friends. Its foolish to purposely piss off paying customers considering you're going to accidentally anger plenty of them.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Can we at least all agree that in most situations (but not every situation), putting stuff in your pockets while in a store can lead to complications?

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Can we at least all agree that in most situations (but not every situation), putting stuff in your pockets while in a store can lead to complications?

No as stated earlier LP departments don't stop people for it for a reason. Can we agree that someone isn't a criminal until they walk out of the store with said items, and its probably a bad idea to treat them as such?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Sure which are easily recitfied by saying "No worries, just on my way to the register."

Unless you're at Evander's store apparently because he will issue a war cry, tackle you and forcibly throw you into the street and possibly declare a fatwa on you and your family :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Sure which are easily recitfied by saying "No worries, just on my way to the register."

Unless you're at Evander's store apparently because he will issue a war cry, tackle you and forcibly throw you into the street and possibly declare a fatwa on you and your family :P

Which is ok since his store won't stay in business with that sort of management. ;-)

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

No as stated earlier LP departments don't stop people for it for a reason. Can we agree that someone isn't a criminal until they walk out of the store with said items, and its probably a bad idea to treat them as such?

I think it's reasonable to keep an eye on someone putting stuff in their pockets. Certainly in the context of a supermarket.

If we're talking about, say, someone going into a petrol station and picking up a loaf of bread, pack of bacon, pack of eggs, then sticking a bottle of milk in their pocket because they've run out of hands, then accusing them of theivery and kicking them out is just the teensiest bit of an overreaction.

japan on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You two are countering each other's points and saying the same thing. It's like you're failing to agree just to perpetuate this ridiculous argument.

No, you shouldn't be treated like a criminal for not doing anything illegal. But yes, putting items in your pockets is a red flag that you may be potentially shop-lifting, so you are held under suspicion. Nobody is accusing you of ACTUALLY shoplifting, but they are saying you have no right to get mad if people are suspicious of your behavior while you're in the store.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I always stuff things in my pockets at the grocery store. It's also fun to glance furtively at security cameras and act all shifty in front of loss prevention staff. And sometimes when they ask if I'm going to pay for things, for a joke I answer "No."

I'm not really welcome in many places any more.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Do you know what happens when you kick out paying customers and treat them like criminals? They tell everyone not to shop there. Then you stop getting paid.

Do you know what happens when you stuff merchanidse in your pockets?

You get kicked out of stores, and denied service int he future there and at aother stores that they have told about you.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

You two are countering each other's points and saying the same thing. It's like you're failing to agree just to perpetuate this ridiculous argument.

No, you shouldn't be treated like a criminal for not doing anything illegal. But yes, putting items in your pockets is a red flag that you may be potentially shop-lifting, so you are held under suspicion. Nobody is accusing you of ACTUALLY shoplifting, but they are saying you have no right to get mad if people are suspicious of your behavior while you're in the store.

Certainly. Even as Japan stated watch the person. Evander is stating they should be removed from the store the second they stick something in their pockets. Some of us are saying that is the wrong reaction.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dangerous wrote: »
    I always stuff things in my pockets at the grocery store. It's also fun to glance furtively at security cameras and act all shifty in front of loss prevention staff. And sometimes when they ask if I'm going to pay for things, for a joke I answer "No."

I'm not really welcome in many places any more.

:lol:

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Do you know what happens when you stuff merchanidse in your pockets?

You get kicked out of stores, and denied service int he future there and at aother stores that they have told about you.

No sorry you're incorrect.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "Do you go back and pay for groceries that the clerk missed?"

Fuck no.

Al_wat on