As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy]: Yuna Dominates The Awkward Laughter Tier

1555657585961»

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Matthew wrote: »
    Isn't it official that Jenova's will was overtaken by Sephiroth's own, and, in fact, SHE was HIS tool?

I just find that funny. I remember back when 7 first came out, and I saw all these fics and essays about how Sephy was just being used by Jenova, and was innocent of all crimes.

I'm conflicted about this.

On one hand, the notion that a millennia-old alien being that can shape shift, is nearly indestructible, murdered an entire species on her own, turn a habitable world into a spacecraft, and capable of behaving on a cellular level is manipulated by some poorly adjusted ward of the state-turned-commando is really disappointing and kind of depressing. Like finding out God is afraid to leave his house without calling his mother and his lawyer first, or that Darth Vader was actually just a whiny bitch.

On the other hand, I'm generally in favor of things that make Sephiroth seem less sympathetic post-crazy-streak (before he goes crazy, I'm fine with), and more like the asshole I'm accustomed to. Especially anything that might be considered "redeeming" him for his assholish behavior.

I think I'm generally unhappy with this. I still find Jenova to be quite memorable, in her presentation--a corpse shuffled between various parts of the Shinra Corporation, hidden behind her weird "doll" statue, but still manipulating events.

I'm far too in love with the notion that Sephiroth was simply given the choice to obtain great power, and he went right for it, no questions asked. To go from renowned hero to enemy of the world in the span of a couple of days shows what a wicked bastard he really is.

Granted Hojo was the one who laid all that info on his lap for him to discover, but it's not like he commanded him to start murdering entire villages, pretty girls and their fathers.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Isn't it official that Jenova's will was overtaken by Sephiroth's own, and, in fact, SHE was HIS tool?

I just find that funny. I remember back when 7 first came out, and I saw all these fics and essays about how Sephy was just being used by Jenova, and was innocent of all crimes.

On one hand, the notion that a millennia-old alien being that can shape shift, is nearly indestructible, murdered an entire species on her own, turn a habitable world into a spacecraft, and capable of behaving on a cellular level is manipulated by some poorly adjusted ward of the state-turned-commando is really disappointing and kind of depressing. Like finding out God is afraid to leave his house without calling his mother and his lawyer first, or that Darth Vader was actually just a whiny bitch.

On the other hand, I'm generally in favor of things that make Sephiroth seem less sympathetic post-crazy-streak (before he goes crazy, I'm fine with), and more like the asshole I'm accustomed to. Especially anything that might be considered "redeeming" him for his assholish behavior.

I think I'm generally unhappy with this. I still find Jenova to be quite memorable, in her presentation--a corpse shuffled between various parts of the Shinra Corporation, hidden behind her weird "doll" statue, but still manipulating events.

I'm far too in love with the notion that Sephiroth was simply given the choice to obtain great power, and he went right for it, no questions asked. To go from renowned hero to enemy of the world in the span of a couple of days shows what a wicked bastard he really is.

Granted Hojo was the one who laid all that info on his lap for him to discover, but it's not like he commanded him to start murdering entire villages, pretty girls and their fathers.

Hojo has been made more twisted with time, but in the end, I like to think that he's simply a follower of the "watchmaker" approach--he sets the circumstances, with a good idea of what it'll cause (misery and suffering and death) and sits back to play scientist. If Sephiroth didn't end up murdering a whole town, and, down the road, countless people around the world and probably a battalion of Shinra's soldiers, he'd probably be a little disappointed, but he wouldn't intervene to try and change that.

Likewise, I'd agree with the notion of Sephiroth simply being very comfortable with the idea that he wasn't just superior to other humans, but a form of existence above that, and their deaths would be inconsequential in the greater (misunderstood) scheme of things.

Jenova herself (or itself) being "overpowered" by Sephiroth's will kind of flies in the face of the notion that he was delusional and, even before he was crazy, not that clever outside the area of fighting and killing people. Jenova is a being thousands, potentially millions of years old, who mastered the ability to immerse herself in multiple alien (to her) species just long enough to drive them insane and destroy them before they could retaliate. She's done it multiple times. It seems like a being who would understand how the human mind (particularly Sephiroth's) work would have a strong enough "will" not to be overpowered. I suppose the explanation could be given that she'd been buried in the ground for a few thousand years and had her head chopped off could affect her ability to exert control (though apparently not enough loose control of herself on a cellular level). And, of course, Sephiroth's goals were in line with her own. Just seems kind of odd that she'd hand Sephiroth the keys and just kick around for the ride.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    Or they could do something totally awesome and make Lightning the new commander of an elite squad of mercenaries.

Yeah, but how would they fit walking down a straight hallway with no sidepaths for 10 hours into that scenario?

Maybe they could make the squad spread out alongside a long, straight building, and require you walk back and forth a lot.

Haven't you played modern shooters?

Walking down a long unchanging corridor is the in thing for the modern elite military unit.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    Or they could do something totally awesome and make Lightning the new commander of an elite squad of mercenaries.

Yeah, but how would they fit walking down a straight hallway with no sidepaths for 10 hours into that scenario?

Maybe they could make the squad spread out alongside a long, straight building, and require you walk back and forth a lot.

Haven't you played modern shooters?

Walking down a long unchanging corridor is the in thing for the modern elite military unit.

...What shooters do you play?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Hojo has been made more twisted with time, but in the end, I like to think that he's simply a follower of the "watchmaker" approach--he sets the circumstances, with a good idea of what it'll cause (misery and suffering and death) and sits back to play scientist. If Sephiroth didn't end up murdering a whole town, and, down the road, countless people around the world and probably a battalion of Shinra's soldiers, he'd probably be a little disappointed, but he wouldn't intervene to try and change that.

See, that's what makes him especially heinous: in the end, Sephiroth was just another experiment, whether he chose to murder everyone or not. Human life has absolutely no bearing with Hojo, they're just pawns for an experiment. Even things like not looking Zack directly in the eye when doing his sidequests just shows what a monster he is.

By all accounts I could call him the most evil person in the history of the FF series.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Most intentionally evil, perhaps.

Also Barthandelus has a pretty apocalyptic plan for humans...

Cefca did a pretty good job being crazy and evil.

EDIT: Oh also my longshot for 13-2 is that everyone but Fang and Vanille are long, LONG gone and we're in a different time period altogether.

Xagar on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's not hard for Hojo to be the most evil person in FF, because before long everyone especially evil becomes an angel or a robot space pope.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I submit Kuja for most gender-confused villain.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    I submit Kuja for most gender-confused villain.

He is wearing a thong. That's hard to one-up.

Synthesis on
This discussion has been closed.