As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Win 7 Upgrade not working

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I reformatted my student purchased Win 7 about a month ago. I used the upgrade disc to do a clean install, and everything went well but I'm lazy and didn't dig up the key till it started pestering me to activate. It had worked FINE before my format, with this same key.

But NOW it won't ACCEPT my key! It keeps saying the key is invalid for this version of windows, which can't be true, since damnit, it worked before! I tried all of these things: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/10/27/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-and-product-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/ and have no idea what the hell is the problem. I even tried doing the upgrade over it and putting it in, same error code.

Help! How do I fix this stupid bullshit? "upgrade" media versus full media is the stupidest shit ever by the way.

SniperGuy on

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    you cant do a clean reformat with the upgrade disk, you have to have an existing install in place to do it
    Open up the activaiton window and use the automated phone service, that works and its pretty painless.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's weird that the stuff on the website you linked didn't work, but if you don't want to do the phone thing (but you really should probably just do the phone thing) you can install your copy of Windows 7 over your copy of Windows 7 from within your copy of Windows 7 and that should do it.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's weird that the stuff on the website you linked didn't work, but if you don't want to do the phone thing (but you really should probably just do the phone thing) you can install your copy of Windows 7 over your copy of Windows 7 from within your copy of Windows 7 and that should do it.

The phone thing is less hassle and has a 100% chance of success.

It only takes like 8 minutes.

I've never had the double install trick work for me, either.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, double install trick didn't work. I didn't realize I could call, thought there was some actual issue with the code and my version. I'll try that! Thanks.

edit: er, what's the number? I can't find it. I don't have a number on my disc or anything, and it's not showing up in the activation window. It just says "Activate Online now" or "ask me later"

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Yeah, double install trick didn't work. I didn't realize I could call, thought there was some actual issue with the code and my version. I'll try that! Thanks.

edit: er, what's the number? I can't find it. I don't have a number on my disc or anything, and it's not showing up in the activation window. It just says "Activate Online now" or "ask me later"

activate online, when it fails it should give you the number to call.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Did you by chance buy this copy from digital river? If so, they gave me a link to download a full install .iso when I had the same problem. I can dig it up and see if it still works, if not you can call them and tell them you need the iso file link.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    you cant do a clean reformat with the upgrade disk, you have to have an existing install in place to do it

For the record this is false. I have a Win 7 Home Premium Upgrade package that I've done three clean installs off of.

(Not in the illegal way, formatted my machine twice and tried to clean format a friend's bloatware loaded store bought machine once and use their key. Possibly worth noting for others mine works fine but I couldn't use the upgrade media and the full version key off their machine. Had to restore their machine and then manually uninstall bloatware. Meh.)

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Seriously, I've been calling them at least once a year since XP. They just ask how many machines it's installed on, you say 1, and they go, okie dokey and give you a working code. Less then 10 minutes.

blakfeld on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    blakfeld wrote: »

Seriously, I've been calling them at least once a year since XP. They just ask how many machines it's installed on, you say 1, and they go, okie dokey and give you a working code. Less then 10 minutes.

you give them a series of numbers which is probably some hash code for your key or something.

they give you a series of numbers back, viola activation

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    JamesDM wrote: »
    Did you by chance buy this copy from digital river? If so, they gave me a link to download a full install .iso when I had the same problem. I can dig it up and see if it still works, if not you can call them and tell them you need the iso file link.

I believe so. I burnt it to a disc, the thing they sent me. Will the full .iso not have the same problem this is having though? ANd yeah, it's not giving me a number.

The EXACT error message it gives me after trying to activate my key is "The product key you have entered will not work with this edition of Windows 7. You must either run Windows 7 Setup or enter a Windows 7 Home Premium product key."
    No phone number at all. I know what you guys are talking about though, I used to do it for XP, but I'm seeing no option for a number here.

Is there a way to check my key, maybe it's for a different version or something? But it worked before, so I have no idea why it wouldn't now.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

• Options
    edited September 2010
    No, that's not the error message I'm getting. What am I supposed to be doing with that .ISO I can't do with my own burnt Win 7 CD from digital river?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My MSDN copy of Win7 also wouldn't work with the key my school provided. I would get a "This key cannot be used to activate this product"

When you try to activate, go to the option that says "Activate by phone" or something like that, it will ask for your location and give you the phone number you need to call.

Call, follow instructions, get W7 activated in less than 10 minutes. I used the digital river iso as well.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Again, activate by phone is not a selectible option for me.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Again, activate by phone is not a selectible option for me.

I had to figure this out when installing Win 7 on my mom's computer just last week.

There are instructions on how to do some registry magic here: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_use_your_windows_7_upgrade_disk_fresh_pc?page=0,1 (There are a few different registry editing methods, so search something like "clean win7 install with upgrade disc")

Note, that didn't work for me, but it did reset the installation and password "status" so that when I did plug in the key and it failed, it gave me the option to activate by phone, which is the only method that worked.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also, I called (866) 234-6020 (Microsoft Support number listed for activation problems of Win7) and explained my situation to them and they walked me through what to do. If you are having problems activating that is the number to call.

JamesDM on

• Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Open up the activaiton window and use the automated phone service, that works and its pretty painless.

I installed a Win 7 upgrade on a clean harddrive just fine. It wasn't the first time I've used the key though so I had to give MS a call and go through their automated service.

OP: Are you sure you installed the right version of Windows (i.e. you installed Ultimate instead of Home Premium by accident)?

tofu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    tofu wrote: »

I installed a Win 7 upgrade on a clean harddrive just fine. It wasn't the first time I've used the key though so I had to give MS a call and go through their automated service.

OP: Are you sure you installed the right version of Windows (i.e. you installed Ultimate instead of Home Premium by accident)?

what i should have said you can't do a clean install with an upgrade disk and do an online activation.

You have to use the phone activation.

Buttcleft on