As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How to maintain hair highlights

SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I got a Groupon for a haircut and partial highlights from a salon in my area. However this is the first time I've ever done any sort of highlighting or dyeing of my hair.

So my questions are:
-How long before my appointment should I avoid washing my hair? I've heard it's a good idea not to shampoo for at least a day in advance.
-Should I avoid showering right after my appointment? My appointment is currently just a few hours before I have flag football, where I will get extremely sweaty. Should I use dry shampoo or is it not a problem right after? Is it a problem that I'm planning to get sweaty?
-What's the best way to maintain my highlights so they last a long time?

I have fine, medium-length dirty-blonde hair. I already have some natural light blonde highlights in my hair, and the underside of my hair is a mousy brown color. My hair tends to be pretty normal - not too greasy, not too dry - and generally I shampoo and condition it once a day.

Spacemilk on

• VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    - Talk to your stylist. Mine has told me that it's pretty much an old wives tale that you shouldn't wash your hair before dying it. She said you wouldn't want to dye literally just washed (because it could cause scalp irritation) but otherwise all it does if anything is make it harder for the dye to work.

- If you're worried about showering right after wear a shower cap to protect your hair. Your stylist can tell you how long you should wait before washing.

- Get colour treated hair shampoo and conditioner. I rather liked Sheer Blond (added: natural blond but it's supposed to work for dyed blond as well) but I'm sure there are better ones out there.

VisionOfClarity on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I worked in salons for two years and I've NEVER heard of "not washing before coloring".

Also, your stylist is going to give you the best advice tailored to you. We have no idea what sort of hair you have or what you should put in it. Ask them.

Esh on