As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hiphopapotamus his [CHAT]ing is bottomless

• Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Ha! I just made an update about this--of course it's good! It's written by Aaron Sorkin and directed by David Fincher!

But in the end, it's still just a movie about Facebook.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I didn't think the trailer looked nearly as ridiculous as you guys made it out to be

But I didn't say anything because I wanted to look cool.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm still not interested in seeing Facebook the Movie.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nnnnngnggnnnng

Going to see Godspeed You! Black Emperor in March! I'm so excited :whistle:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuck you.

I am so jealous.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mustang wrote: »

I think I'm going to just stop badmouthing movies that haven't been released yet, it always backfires on me.

No. Keep badmouthing movies and more good movies will be released! Don't you see how you can twist the system here?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    I still don't care and still think the entire thing sounds ridiculous. If Hollywood wants to get me excited about a film revolving around computer bullshit, they should make a sequel to Sneakers.

Sidenote from looking through those reviews: Does anyone else get really suspicious about the quality of a movie when a reviewer/line on the box/poster describes a movie as "sexy"? It always makes me think of the tons of schlock that came out around the whole Fatal Attraction/Basic Instinct period of time when my local video store had a whole section of "thrillers" all with covers with women in slinky dresses and "moody" lighting and maybe some venetian blind shadows and maybe a butcher's knife or a gun thrown in and ALWAYS had a review quote on the front that contained the word "sexy" in it somewhere.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I wanna buy the offline Minecraft client but I don't feel like paying 10 euros for it. =\

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Bacon, have you seen a David Fincher movie? or anything Aaron Sorkin has done?

That alone is reason enough to be excited.

Well, unless the Fincher movie you saw was Panic Room.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    or Alien 3.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Alien 3 is an exception- its not really Fincher's movie. But instead the studio and the producers.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Certainly, but if it's a person's only exposure to him they could easily draw the wrong conclusion about him as a director.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah yeah yeah, I liked Fight Club and The Game. Never saw Se7en or Alien 3 in their entirety. I know he's a good director, I just still really can't get myself to give a crap.

I haven't seen anything Aaron Sorkin's done beyond about 5 minutes of Sports Night, which didn't really make me go like HOLY SHIT DUDE.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The West Wing and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip are HOLY SHIT DUDE worthy.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Man, why is the new Karate Kid movie taking so long to come out??? I couldn't find anyone to see it with me at the movies... now it's nowhere to be found!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ladies and gentlemen... AARON SORKIN!

*THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n-bXFRQtqE

Paradise on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    I quite liked Panic Room. Forrest Whittaker was pretty good in it.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I couldn't really tell you my opinion of it.... i lost interest 15 min into it. I just know that, in general, people hold it as fincher's worst movie (which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I mean, even Alien 3 is pretty decent when the scenes the studio made him cut are put back into it)

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey Napp, are you at all into chiptunes music?

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I haven't heard more than like... 2 songs of it maybe? link me some good stuff and i'll let you know :)

Nappuccino on

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    aren't the effects of psilocybin different though?

Yeah, but if I were to choose one hallucinogenic again, I would choose the mushroom variety. Felt... more natural?

did you feel colors and become one with the Universe?

Er yes :oops:

Its impossible to describe the way I felt but here are some things I saw/etc:

- On onset, patterns and walls shift in seemingly impossible ways. Also there seems to be an almost holographic depth to surfaces.

- Trees alternated between looking like fractals and dancers

- Went into a 'mode' where everything looked like giant stain glass windows showing my place between heaven and hell. Sort of Heironymous Bosch esque ... and a little scary :P

- I didn't want to draw, I just wanted to look at a lot of art. Good art felt like it 'snapped' into a pattern.

And because mushrooms made me feel very introspective - lots of more personal, less tame stuff I don't feel like sharing :P

I realize the page has passed but it's time to talk more about Ecuador.
    I did shrooms in the rainforest. And it was sort of like HOLY SHIT.

1. Faces. Faces EVERYWHERE. It was at night in the rain forest and every shadow and leaf and combination of shadows and leaves were different faces. It was beautiful and not creepy. In fact, the way I knew it had kicked in (after an hour or so), was that I was thirsty so I went out to the water jug, and it had a face.

2. It started raining and the tactile sensation of the streaming water kind of turned into a visual sensation. Especially when I closed my eyes, because then when I felt the water stream down my face, as it went it kind of turned my face into a different face as the water passed down. Also the raindrops that were still in the air were sometimes momentarily beautiful little dancers made out of color.

3. The people I was living with were the Shuar, and I saw a Shuar man in his traditional clothing and everything (who wasn't real) standing and looking at me, kind of holding out his hand. I told my friend so she led me over to him (even though she couldn't see him, obviously). I looked at him for a long time and then it kind of started changing into different people. It's difficult to describe.

I had a really good time in all, but I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't already been having a good time and really happy. I have a VERY vivid and active imagination and that counts for the bad things too (lots of insane night terrors that often spread to hallucinations right when I wake up). I do not want to unleash that shit into the real world, so I would NEVER try this unless I was already happy.
    Weed is really nice for me too though. But I get the giggles something fierce.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, that's the thing about psychotropic drugs: You've gotta be in a good place in life overall before jumping into that stuff.

And having a sober mate to chaperon your experience is a must.

EDIT: Also, that sounds incredible rad, Lyrium.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Eh.... I'll take reality and music over whatever drugs can give me.

Maybe a dash of booze to help me open up at parties but that's all I need.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Drugs have their time & place. Like anything, it needs to be done in moderation. When you're waking up each morning and eating a bowl of drugs to start your day, you're an addict.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've yet to try any sort of drug, although I know plenty of people who have. I'd be willing to give some a try, but I'm staying bloody well away from that lab shit. And I've yet to be drunk. God I can be really lame. :(

Although if all my friends are planning on getting plastered I generally prefer to be the sober one, mainly so I can keep an eye out for people. It's diverted a potential disaster more than once, and at least I can be sure everyone's safe at the end of the night.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I am the official spokesperson for the "Drugs are bad" campaign, so I could never do them if I am to be telling kids that they are no good. I somewhat agree with Mars, that in moderation they are not bad (I would still not do them), but I've seen that some people lack control or use it as an escape, so because of them I cannot sponsor their use, even in moderation.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Actually, after seeing this video, I'm actually somewhat for drug legalization, if it has potential to reduce problem drug usage.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I haven't heard more than like... 2 songs of it maybe? link me some good stuff and i'll let you know :)

There's lots of good stuff out there, but Anamanaguchi makes the only chiptune music I listen to regularly. You can hear their whole first album here, and they release a free single every few weeks over here.

I was just listening to Beck's "Girl", and now I'm wondering if there's cool music that combines chiptunes and non-electronic music. Like even in "Girl", the only chiptune part is the little intro. Where's the (8-bit) beef?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm2n8fkBZVM

Chiptunes sound cool sometimes, but it would be great to hear acoustic or electric music that has just a little bit of an 8-bit motif.

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Drugs have their time & place. Like anything, it needs to be done in moderation. When you're waking up each morning and eating a bowl of drugs to start your day, you're an addict.

Of course- and I'm not one to look down on someone else for doing drugs responsibly either. I just have no interest in them at all.

which is weird because everyone who doesn't know me well things i'm a pothead.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    I also have no interest in drugs or drinking, but I realize I'm unusually straight-arrow about these sort of things.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is probably going to get bottom-paged, but I'm just posting to remind you all that next Saturday, the 2nd of October, is 24-Hour Comic Day 2010.

24-Hour Comic Day is an international thing where artists try to make a 24-page comic in just 24 hours, from coming up with the idea to drawing it. It's a great little exercise and it always leads to rad results.

I'm doing it again, like last year and the year before that and the year before that, and so should you. Because it's awesome.

Oh hey! TOTP! How convenient!

Seriously. Be there or be square. There's places where lots of people get together to do their comics, or you could do it from the privacy of your own home. Check out the website for more info.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm on the fence about doing 24HCD. On one hand I feel the most confident about being able to tackle it this year, but on the other, I just can't take the hit on my system that staying up all night would inflict.

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's okay, dude. You can admit that you're a big girl. No-one will think any less of you.

Well. Not much less, anyway.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    which is weird because everyone who doesn't know me well things i'm a pothead.

Yeah, that happens to me all the time. My "IRL" sense of humor is pretty off-the-wall.

A strong anti-drugs argument is that their epigenetic effects are largely unknown. People who do drugs (and drink) are probably increasing the risk that their children (and their children's children) will develop detrimental epigenetic mutations. In other words, drugs might hurt your children before they're even conceived.

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    It's okay, dude. You can admit that you're a big girl. No-one will think any less of you.

Well. Not much less, anyway.

No, it's true, I'm a total wuss about it. My regular workload wears me right the fuck out as-is, I'm hesitant to add an all nighter to the mix.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hey spex

instead of doing that

how about doing the sentry duty art you owe me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Paradise wrote: »
    A strong anti-drugs argument is that their epigenetic effects are largely unknown. People who do drugs (and drink) are probably increasing the risk that their children (and their children's children) will develop detrimental epigenetic mutations. In other words, drugs might hurt your children before they're even conceived.

From my (brief) research it seems that a hell of a lot of things affects epigenetics. I saw the study that hallucinogenics affected it, but so does diet. Neither said that either were detrimental though. :?

Seems just like another buzzword that people can throw at 'big bad drugs'. THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah sorry drugs rock and my kids are probably gonna do them too so whatever
    i'm already passing them a shit ton of awful genes that will lead to mental and physical illness

RubberAC on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Now, I don't necessarily agree with Rubber

I don't think drugs are good, but I don't think they are bad either. Its not for everyone, and I'm not going to jump on someone for not having done anything like that. I don't think the substances made me a better person, but varied experiences over all have I think.

One thing I dislike is the amount of stigma and unnecessary fear of a lot of these drugs. People seem to think substances like weed and shrooms (which I think are safer than alcohol if used properly) are in the same boat as something like meth.

Another thing that bothers me is the idea that because you have done these things that you are 'tainted' or a 'druggy'. Coffee and the occasional beer are the only 'active' things Ive done in 6-7 years. Not because I'm anti anything but its just not really something Im interested in anymore.

Anyway, thats enough of that from me and there are better things to talk about.

Like good music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXY7gtkhpP0

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Paradise wrote: »

From my (brief) research it seems that a hell of a lot of things affects epigenetics. I saw the study that hallucinogenics affected it, but so does diet. Neither said that either were detrimental though. :?

Seems just like another buzzword that people can throw at 'big bad drugs'. THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

:?
    Don't pooh-pooh epigenetics.

Anything that affects your physiology can conceivably alter your epigenome. Throwing your body out of homeostasis via any means (some examples being: improper diet; chronic stress; drug use; exposure to environmental toxins) increases the probability that your epigenome will undergo more drastic changes than it normally would at homeostasis. It is known that epigenetic changes can contribute to the development of many diseases, and it is also known that epigenetic information (including increased risk for certain diseases) is heritable.

Epigenetics is not a buzzword. In cases like this, "buzzword" is a buzzword.

Also Wasser, that song is fucking awesome.

Paradise on
This discussion has been closed.