As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flux Magazine

SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zubRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Graphic Violence
Anyone remember this mid-90s gem? I was a new immigrant to the States and money was short, but somehow I cajoled my mom into buying me this thing every time we went to get groceries at the Stop & Shop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux_Magazine_(US)

Anyone else read it? I can't find any web info on it other than the wiki link above, seems it was just a bit before the rise of the web.

The were somewhat of a crossover between EGM/Wizard/Rolling Stones/Toy Faire with a liberal application of the "rule of cool". I am not sure, but I think what ultimately got them canned is parent complaints about the "don't ever do this" section that was a very subversive "do this because it's hillarious and naughty" accompanied with visuals representing the activity. I.e. Don't ever spray someneone with a watergun filled with pomegranite juice because it's super sticky and insects love it. When visiting a rival school for some sports function, don't pee on their radiators because when it dries up it smells real bad. etc...

steam_sig.png
Smrtnik on

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Notable recurring departments included "Don't Ever Do This," which offered explicit instructions for pranks and antisocial behavior, and "Babewatch," which was merely photos of attractive females from TV shows, movies, and comic books.

i can't imagine why it only lasted 7 issues...

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah, I had a few issues of flux unfortunately.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Really, you guys didn't like it?

I thought it was a great way to get all the entertainment info (comics, movies, video games, tv, music, etc...) for price of one magazine.

Also, I never took the "dont ever do this" section as serious "go ahead and do this" but more of a fun "what if" scenario.

/shrug

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png