As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, i'd been making a giant batcave deep underground and vernes joined me and we decided to hollow out the earth from the top to the bottom to the batcave...

Here's our current progress (this doesn't show our tower of awesome or the batcave which goes further than the draw distance)

ZRTWS.jpg

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    MonoplexbobMonoplexbob Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    o hi!

Monoplexbob on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Monoplexbob's Project on Gent's server.
    javaw2010-09-2519-24-04-41.jpg

javaw2010-09-2519-23-39-35.jpg

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just had the game create me the most wonderful world I could imagine, had to save it immediately for it's pure awesome.:^:

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've had this game for a couple of days now, but each and every time I load up a new world I'm blown away by the beauty of some new "natural" formation. The area I'm developing now is a series of sheer and snowy mountains, each riddled with caves and cascading streams. I ducked into a fracture at the base of one such mountain to escape a pair of skeletons, and followed it to a huge subterranean waterfall. After swimming upwards for about three minutes, planting torches as I went, I broke out of a small lake that was cupped in a crater just below the mountain's peak. The view... Holy shit, the view.

One of the most sublime moments in my gaming career - made sweeter because I know the experience is entirely unique to me and my little world.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Falstaff wrote: »
    I've had this game for a couple of days now, but each and every time I load up a new world I'm blown away by the beauty of some new "natural" formation. The area I'm developing now is a series of sheer and snowy mountains, each riddled with caves and cascading streams. I ducked into a fracture at the base of one such mountain to escape a pair of skeletons, and followed it to a huge subterranean waterfall. After swimming upwards for about three minutes, planting torches as I went, I broke out of a small lake that was cupped in a crater just below the mountain's peak. The view... Holy shit, the view.

One of the most sublime moments in my gaming career - made sweeter because I know the experience is entirely unique to me and my little world.

That begs fora screenshot.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SoulGate wrote: »
    Falstaff wrote: »

That begs fora screenshot.
    Yes, please.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Notch should add a watch you can craft so you don't have to peek outside to see the time.

It should, of course, be a gold watch.

Echo on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Notch needs to add an airplane.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Is there a way to actually connect mine carts together?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No problems finding my way home. My tree house is the second highest point visible that I've seen so far, and the highest point is the hill my home is in.

Not to mention the treehouse having lots of lights on top and being lit up from within.

treehouse-lights.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Guys... GUYS D:

I've not even bought the game, and I'm already trying to recreate Moria.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I use a lot of lights on my fort as well. It's not nearly as tall, though. But whenever I go out I make sure to leave a path of torches, so I can follow them home if I ever get lost.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So hey, is finding a hole that leads vertically straight down to the centre of the earth normal in this game?

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    So hey, is finding a hole that leads vertically straight down to the centre of the earth normal in this game?

I have one world like that, with a waterfall going straight down the hole and branching out into rivers at the bottom into the massive cave system. Shit be epic.

Echo on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    Guys... GUYS D:

I've not even bought the game, and I'm already trying to recreate Moria.

That's pretty funny. I'm progressing nicely on recreating hobbiton.

edit: In hindsight, I guess I should have posted a link to get an invite? Here: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970867596

Could someone send me an invite to the Steam group?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I feel like I need to take a video of this thing. It took me like at least five or six minutes just to climb down.

It really does remind me of the Cave of Swallows.

edit: And the bottom is just... oceans of lava.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am not sure if this game would benefit or suffer from some sort of RPG leveling system that effects your speed at doing things and survivability

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    god FUCKING dammit

another great mine found, with redstone and diamonds and everything, and i get jumped by a zombie from ABOVE

am i really going to have to turn enemies off before i get anything done on this go-round

Rust on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bought the game for fun times. Hasn't yet updated my status so I gotta wait to play it :(

edit: Or maybe not!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    god FUCKING dammit

another great mine found, with redstone and diamonds and everything, and i get jumped by a zombie from ABOVE

am i really going to have to turn enemies off before i get anything done on this go-round

i was considering playing on hard because the game seemed so easy

then i tried plundering some caverns.

fucking creepers and fucking skeletons

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Buying the game blind wasn't such a good idea. How the hell do i do anything other than break stuff and place stuff? Like the whole crafting aspect?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Buying the game blind wasn't such a good idea. How the hell do i do anything other than break stuff and place stuff? Like the whole crafting aspect?

http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

Couscous on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VWnQHS-ffs

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I've been thinking about maybe setting up a public 'mirror' server of what we're doing on the PA build server right now, so we could have a general public IP and let people admire. I could disable building on it, and update it every 24 hours or so.

Just a thought.

Ein on
  • Options
    vernesvernes Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    UnderDark server seems down, got disconnected.
    Connection times out now.
    I was baking 3364 units of glass.
    Hope there won't be a roleback, we dug a HUGE hole today.
    We filled up 4 or 5 LARGE chests with stone.

Edit: Urgh, 3 in the morning, perhaps I SHOULD go sleep.

vernes on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    woah shit. You guys. How awesome are you? Very.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    vernesvernes Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    So I've been thinking about maybe setting up a public 'mirror' server of what we're doing on the PA build server right now, so we could have a general public IP and let people admire. I could disable building on it, and update it every 24 hours or so.

Just a thought.

I like.

vernes on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    vernes wrote: »
    UnderDark server seems down, got disconnected.
    Connection times out now.
    I was baking 3364 units of glass.
    Hope there won't be a roleback, we dug a HUGE hole today.
    We filled up 4 or 5 LARGE chests with stone.

I just started my journey. D:

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    vernes wrote: »

...yeah. I was just about to start tearing down an 8-10 blocks high hill (maybe 20x30 big) so I could use the land for farming. No, that'll have to wait.

Echo on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am not sure if this game would benefit or suffer from some sort of RPG leveling system that effects your speed at doing things and survivability

Well the mining/crafting system is a leveling system in a way. You level up your tools, your armor, and your survivability (food and light). I've always thought that the golden apple should be used to raise your max health, not just restore you to full (considering how obscenely expensive and hard it is to obtain). There just needs to be more steps between starting out and becoming king of all you survey with a full set of diamond armor and tools.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Pagoda?
    javaw2010-09-2521-02-39-67.jpg

Pagoda.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shiiiit underdark is down just as I was going to show someone how epic it was.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm gonna zen the shit out of that pagoda, just you watch.

It'll blow your fucking mind.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    I'm gonna zen the shit out of that pagoda, just you watch.

It'll blow your fucking mind.

When I walk in I want to go into a coma I'm so relaxed.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TarpoTarpo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Been playing alot today and have a thought or 2. Outside of Cosmetic. Is there any crafting use for brick? I was hoping I could use it to make a more efficient forge but it just seems to be pretty at this point.

When you explore.. How do you go about getting home (without a compass) I have been keeping a stack or 2 of sand and periodically building a 2 stack tower. Sticking a torch on top, then digging down the other one. Anyone else have any method they use? I also made a giant beacon at my start house to help me find it again. I'm starting to travel to my outer towers now and building huts with craft tables and chests to store and resupply.

I hate creepers. They are bastards and its never fun to see a little green penis hopping at the little window in the hovel you dug out to pass the night knowing when daylight comes.. They are still going to be right there.

Tarpo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Alright, nearly ten hours on and two things:

1. I still haven't run into a single fucking spider. Wut? Some help here?

2. I was exploring a bunch of caves and came across a room that was all covered in green, and there was a fire in a cage, and it was spawning (endless?) zombies. What is this, how do I deal with it, how do I stop it?

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright, nearly ten hours on and two things:

2. I was exploring a bunch of caves and came across a room that was all covered in green, and there was a fire in a cage, and it was spawning (endless?) zombies. What is this, how do I deal with it, how do I stop it?

1. You're a lucky man

2. That's a dungeon, the blocks are mossy cobblestone and at the moment mining those is the only way to obtain it (without cheating). The flaming cage is a monster generator and you can either surround it with torches to stop it from spawning monsters until you decide otherwise, or you can just bash it to destroy it. Also, there should be some chests nearby with some random loot in them.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just realized you can show your skin through the site:

http://minecraft.net/skin/skin.jsp?user=UEAKCrash

Hehe.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Darmak wrote: »

1. You're a lucky man

Man, how am I supposed to obtain string!?

Recoil42 on
This discussion has been closed.