As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [strike]Why isn't my furnace having a fire under it? It's real cold looking. I have this ore and coal and flint but no steel, and it seems to make iron ingots I need the fire first? Any help?[/strike]

Fuck its gravel.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    If it doesn't work for him, then yes, he should seek a refund. It's not his fault, or the creator's, at this point in time. He shouldn't be out money until it works for him. When it works, he can repurchase it. In the meantime, what's the point of having spent the money for nothing in return? This isn't really a pre-order program.

No, it's paying for an alpha. These things should be expected.

Also, if you haven't tried a reformat, you aren't sure if it's just your computer yet.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Highfire wrote: »
    I have a problem...

So I downloaded the game a few days ago, and it wouldn't load up. I went to the Minecraft forum, and I looked up the problem I was having and the answer for it.
    I can't see Minecraft/ Something graphical /black or white screen
    Common Problem: Pixel Format Not Accelerated
    • This is a visual or graphical problem, half of the time this is a Driver Issue. Go and update your video cards drivers. (Control Panel> Run> Dxdiag> Display tab. Locate the 'Name' and then look up the name + Drivers on Google. ) Still don't work? Check for anything that might conflict (Like Visual Themes, or another visual program like Object Dock or such.) On some occassions, vista can cause compatibality issues. Check your drivers for Vista only or compatible.

I did what it told me to try and do to fix it, but nothing worked. I use 7, I have a Gforce 8800GT(fully up dated) and I even switched my visual theme to basic. But I still get the same thing, every time I try to run it. Should I just get my money back? I think so.

Have you also tried completely uninstalling java, restarting, redownloading the latest version and reinstalling?
    http://www.java.com/en/download/chrome.jsp

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    If it doesn't work for him, then yes, he should seek a refund. It's not his fault, or the creator's, at this point in time. He shouldn't be out money until it works for him. When it works, he can repurchase it. In the meantime, what's the point of having spent the money for nothing in return? This isn't really a pre-order program.

No, it's paying for an alpha. These things should be expected.

Also, if you haven't tried a reformat, you aren't sure if it's just your computer yet.

An alpha he expected to be able to play. If, after exhausting all options (drivers, etc) he still cannot play, there's nothing wrong with requesting a refund. I don't care how much money a person has, you don't pay for something expecting to be able to use it, then just accept the fact that it doesn't work and forget about the money.

Obviously, check all your settings and whatnot. Update Java, graphic drivers, etc etc... but don't feel bad about wanting a refund until the game works for you.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    If you're playing right now, don't quit! MC.net is down. Again.
    I just tried to get on to find this out. :(

Maybe I'll play some Reach. It probably feels lonely ever since I discovered Minecraft.

edit: Wait, I got on. :D

The most perfect display of utter sadness followed by pure joy.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The most brute-force safety layout known to man:
    shot2tt.jpg

Actually it's the foundation for the gigantic 3D maze I'm considering.

Is there a way to backup a save file in case I want to make a different maze layout later? I'd like to back it up once I get the foundation all finished.

P.S. Steam invite? http://steamcommunity.com/id/mobiled

Mobile-D on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    69713-1.jpg

javaw2010-09-2921-44-40-49.jpg

Teeth are hard!

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mobile-D wrote: »
    shot2tt.jpg

Looks more like a cemetery.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    proyebat wrote: »
    Mobile-D wrote: »
    shot2tt.jpg

Looks more like a cemetery.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

Actually, yeah. Kinda does.

Say, that gives me an idea . . .

Mobile-D on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've finished the prototypes of the new defenses of Columbia. Soon to be gracing sky platforms near you!

Guns.jpg

We chose the gold one.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I bought the game this morning, but won't be able to play it for a month and a half. Sucks, but I'm really looking forward to it!

Flay on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm not on the PA server, but I started the day out diggnig a big hole and tunnels/etc to go with it, then some jackass TNT'd a huge hole within my hole, but we foudn a sweet waterfall and lavafall that actually looks really badass, so I opened up a bigass skylight with TNT and now I have a waterfall from the top of the skylight all of the way down into the lava/water fall area and I think I can build some pretty awesome stuff around it.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Flay wrote: »
    I bought the game this morning, but won't be able to play it for a month and a half. Sucks, but I'm really looking forward to it!

?! How in the hell can you not play it for that long?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Arthil wrote: »

He's got to wait for the new 386 he bought to get shipped to him.

Mobile-D on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I need to take some screenshots of Snow Mountain and my 'viking' longhouse atop it.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So yesterday I started building a floating bar somewhere on the ocean on Colapture.

Stupid stair-chairs don't want to face the right way... might have to settle for benches. :(

And there's some bug or something that makes it impossible to destroy them. I broke them like 5 times and they just pop back.

Falx on
  • Options
    PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've finished the prototypes of the new defenses of Columbia. Soon to be gracing sky platforms near you!

Guns.jpg

We chose the gold one.

Best 'capped quote so far too :-)

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Falx wrote: »
    So yesterday I started building a floating bar somewhere on the ocean on Colapture.

Stupid stair-chairs don't want to face the right way... might have to settle for benches. :(

And there's some bug or something that makes it impossible to destroy them. I broke them like 5 times and they just pop back.

Stairs are rehtards at the mo, there'll be a way but it'll be tiresome.
    Also that'll just be lag.

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Falx wrote: »

Put another block on top of them. The stairs will turn into a regular block and you can destroy them.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Skelly B wrote: »
    I made myself a little lumberjack skin.

Does that look like a goatee/beard or just some weird thing floating by his face?

http://minecraft.net/skin/skin.jsp?user=Skelly_B

Hi5, Fellow lumberjack. (Mine, though I didn't make it. Just altered it slightly.) The floating beard looks a little odd, but I love the floating eyebrows.

Speaking of lumber, some screens of the tree farm I spent a good chunk of the day working on in ein's server. The tall supercluster of trees was already there when I started this afternoon so I started planting next to it. (Who was it that planted that? There was a sign saying "[name] went a little crazy with trees, please take some", but I accidentally smooshed it when adding some extra rows underneath it. I think it said "Flit", but I'm not sure)
    TreeFarm1.jpg

TreeFarm2.jpg

TreeFarm3.jpg
    Sadly, I don't think the trees are growing fast enough to satisfy the server's lust for wood.

Edit: I think I have a borderline unhealthy obsession with planting trees and chopping wood.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Highfire wrote: »
    I have a problem...

I have a solution for you but you may not like it...

Your going to want to install a dual boot setup on your machine (or run a live build of linux). Then change the Minecraft.exe to Minecraft.jar and play it while booted in Linux.

If your not very tech savvy take the minecraft.exe / renamed to minecraft.jar and put it on the thumbdrive, then download and burn [the iso] Knoppix (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=knoppix or http://www.knoppix.com/) Then boot from that CD with the thumbdrive inserted...knoppix will do its bootup deal and then once its going fire up minecraft and your good to go. Once your done eject the knoppix CD and restart your machine and your back in business. Its a PITA to do just to play minecraft, but its free and it gets the job done.

It even runs smoother in linux.

Theres a graphic card issue with some Gforce cards, I had the same deal only with a fail to load with an error telling me about my graphics card.

iRevert on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just want to point out that PoultryGeist's sig is a whale that he crafted block-by-block, currently living on Ein's server.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    500 Servlet Exception

[show] java.lang.RuntimeException: No free DB connections!

noooooooooooooooooo! Quit hogging all the blocks you guys!

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just wanted to chime in and say that I've got the game running on an 8800GT without issue. :\

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Seeks wrote: »
    I just want to point out that PoultryGeist's sig is a whale that he crafted block-by-block, currently living on Ein's server.

Haha thanks :-) I'm surprised at the amount of attention he's getting :-D

Edit: Saying that. I've now realised that I mention him at least once a day. Usually a few more than once...

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arthil wrote: »

I know this game is going to be a massive distraction, so I'm avoiding it until the uni break comes around.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Just wanted to chime in and say that I've got the game running on an 8800GT without issue. :\

Certain people have different issues with it, running Linux has been the only fix all alternative that I've found so far.

iRevert on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    iRevert wrote: »

Certain people have different issues with it, running Linux has been the only fix all alternative that I've found so far.

A boot disk isn't really that big of a hassle either. Download the .iso, burn it to disk and you are ready to go. It's a really handy item to have around too. Here's an example, I used an Ubuntu boot disk just last week to rescue data from my HDD after my Motherboard went on the fritz and I had to rebuild my machine. Once I got my new build put together, I just popped the disk in the tray, booted into Linux and then copied what I wanted over to an external USB HDD all inside a comfy Gnome desktop.

I think Minecraft is totally worth the reboot into Linux if that's the only way you can get it going.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Sadly, I don't think the trees are growing fast enough to satisfy the server's lust for wood.

Edit: I think I have a borderline unhealthy obsession with planting trees and chopping wood.

I'm going to plant a super farm of tree's way up north to create a forest canopy that blots out the sky. You can drop a block of dirt on another tree's boughs or leaves and plant a sapling on it. Going to see if i can get all the trees to be four or five stories tall. Long term project haha.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah, fuck. I logged out to reset my client, and MC.net is down again. Jesus Christ.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    iRevert wrote: »

A boot disk isn't really that big of a hassle either. Download the .iso, burn it to disk and you are ready to go. It's a really handy item to have around too. Here's an example, I used an Ubuntu boot disk just last week to rescue data from my HDD after my Motherboard went on the fritz and I had to rebuild my machine. Once I got my new build put together, I just popped the disk in the tray, booted into Linux and then copied what I wanted over to an external USB HDD all inside a comfy Gnome desktop.

I think Minecraft is totally worth the reboot into Linux if that's the only way you can get it going.

I like Knoppix a bit more then Ubu when recommending to kids that might not have tasted the sweet nectar of freedom that is linux. It find its a bit more pickup and go friendly for them. Don't know why as ubu is quite simple to get going on..eh either or thats the solution to the problem that I've found and it won't cost you anything more then a CD and a bit of time to do.

iRevert on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    AaronKI wrote: »

I'm going to plant a super farm of tree's way up north to create a forest canopy that blots out the sky. You can drop a block of dirt on another tree's boughs or leaves and plant a sapling on it. Going to see if i can get all the trees to be four or five stories tall. Long term project haha.

I made a single player treehouse using that method and I think it turned out really nice. 5 floors (6 if you count the top of the tree) total with several rooms and a newly installed minecart station.
    SPTreehouse.jpg

SPTreehouse2.jpg

I started a new treehouse on Ein's server, but I'm not too happy with it at the moment. The shape is pretty ugly from the outside and it has more rooms than I know what to do with even though it only has two floors. Tonight I was thinking about abandoning it and building a small house in the Ubertree next to the tree farm... but maybe I'll feel better about it when I cover the roof with trees. :P

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Too bad ein wasn't on when I was leading zombie from Samurai's dojo to the surface. They only lasted a couple minutes in the endless daytime.
    funx.png

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I found a zombie spawn cage up north. Going to build a trap around it to drown the zombies. :mrgreen:

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Found some spiders in my spelunking session on lavaland, those red eyes are pretty creepy if they just stare at you.

Falx on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Minecraft.net is back up.

Only four people on right now.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jesus Meta, you weren't kidding about that pile of iron. I've got about 10 stack going now, and I've probably only got half of it. And that's not counting what's on the lake bed.
    2010-09-30--1285843966_1440x900_scrot.png

Edit:

Ein, what did you do?

Took me a while to excavate this:
    2010-09-30--1285844952_1440x900_scrot.png

...and guess where that hole leads.
    2010-09-30--1285844601_1440x900_scrot.png

I think we've found a lot of rail, boys.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    oojahoojah Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Hi there,

Bought minecraft the other day, had a look round columbia and rapture last night - very nice!

I'm interested in helping out on the intercontinental transit system, but may not be able to devote loads of time to it. Something that I'm sure would be useful is the prototype/cross section of the road (which has already been mentioned of course) in conjunction with an on the ground plan of where the road is going to go. Getting a single line of blocks in place for every part of the road means that people could just drop in with the reference prototype and start building, without worrying whether they're going wrong.

It'd also mean the roads would definitely all join up properly :)

The blocks would only have to be every dozen or so squares (less on bends) so it shouldn't be an inordinately large job to do.

oojah on
  • Options
    Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I and some friends put this together the other night on another server.

71804064.png

Cathode Ray Tube on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I and some friends put this together the other night on another server.

71804064.png

Thats quite nice.

I tried out the whole multiplayer thing last night and after scanning three servers all full of griefers making swazis I found an empty server that had a great deal of things built including a town.

So what did I do you ask?

I took a look around the things they had built and found a nice quiet spot in the middle of their town and built a four story cock house.

Quite entertaining to see this towering giant amongst what would otherwise be a very nice quaint little town. Everything else was left unspoiled, I just added my little touch in an empty spot.

iRevert on
This discussion has been closed.