As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Designing a story book - does this mix of styles work?

Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Artist's Corner
I'm putting together a children's book, and I'm trying to get the illustration style right. These are obviously very muh WIP, but I'm wondering what you guys think to mixing two styles like so;

5020276408_caa430c415_b.jpg

5019667189_9c8887a1e3_b.jpg

5019667365_51281125e8_b.jpg
robots

Should I dirty the robots/background up a little (like the spoilered images below)
top_gear.jpg

X4Mmk.jpg

Jake! on

• Options
    JenspirationJenspiration Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hi there!

This is very cute. I really like the style(s). :)

I personally think that you don't need to dirty anything up to make them fit together more. In a way, the fact that you've got two different styles that are so opposite each other makes it work.

Only thing I would be aware of is keeping the colours sharp. So if you've got the 'dirtier' bits in the same crisp and sharp colours as the rest, that should be enough to knit them together. (sometimes if you scan in traditional art, the colours will appear washed out and dull on the screen. Something I struggle with -a lot-)

Or if you want them to go even more hand in hand, borrow the colour from the robot and add it to the plant in the shadows. Giving the plant more contrast and at the same time making it relate more with the robot.

Hope that makes sense! If not I can try to clarify :D

Jenspiration on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cheers, glad you like them. I'm working on layout first, but I'll bear what you've said in mind when I get to colouring.

Jake! on