As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plan my Trip: Toronto Edition

downerdowner Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm going to be in Toronto for nearly a week with my Wife visiting some family. We don't have much planned, and the family we're visiting is new to the area. I'm looking for some recommendations for things to do in the area that would be "fun for the whole family"! Whatever that means..

What we've got planned:
Wife and I are taking a side trip to Niagra Falls.
That's it.

Thanks for any recommendations!

downer on

• ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Theres the science center, CN tower, Casa Loma, lots of musicals, sporting events at the rogers center, the Zoo is pretty big but im not sure if its closed for winter now, lots of world class restaurants... Really depends on what you want to do i guess.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • downerdowner Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zeon wrote: »
    Theres the science center, CN tower, Casa Loma, lots of musicals, sporting events at the rogers center, the Zoo is pretty big but im not sure if its closed for winter now, lots of world class restaurants... Really depends on what you want to do i guess.

Pretty open to suggestion. As I said, we really don't have anything planned, and we just want to fill the time so we don't waste our vacation sitting around the house. We're thinking about checking out St. Lawrence Market and Toronto Island Park.

downer on
  • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    CN Tower and Casa Loma are great places to visit. I'd also recommend the Royal Ontario Museum. That place is huge, though! Oh, and don't forget Medieval Times if you're looking for a fun evening.

Of course, if you're going to visit a few of these places, you should get a CityPass.

Also, if you're looking for a neat little restaurant, the Kalendar on College Street has great food. I highly recommend it.

physi_marc on
    3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you get here in time then be sure to check out Nuit Blanche. It's always got some nice things to see and do.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The zoo is open every day except for Christmas, I believe. It's pretty great even in the winter, since it means you avoid crowds. (Skip the Canadian wilderness trek or whatever it's called, though-- long walk, very little incentive except for the grizzlies near the beginning.)

St. Lawrence Market is nice, but be sure to try out the food (peameal bacon!) instead of just browsing.

The Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) was just renovated, and there's actually some really nice stuff in there. I'd recommend it. Oh, and for several places there are free or half off hours on certain days-- plan accordingly.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd honestly recommend heading down to Dundas square and just do a bit of exploring. There's a lot to see and do branching out from all directions, and that's a great place to start.

Godfather on
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ontario Science Centre: Good especially if you've got kids in tow.
    Royal Ontario Museum (ROM): A very all-purpose sort of museum, things from dinosaurs to mummies to Chinese temples to Native artifacts, good for all ages. Very big.
    Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO): Great if you like art (I do, and thought it was super neat) -- probably horribly boring for kids though.
    CN Tower: It's cool for what it is. Make sure it's clear the day you go up, obviously. It's also very nice around sunset. If you want to have a fancy dinner, you get to go up the tower for free if you eat in the restaurant there (make reservations if you want to do this though), and it prices out to be approximately reasonable once you consider the price of the ticket. (If you have paid for your ticket though, all the food up there is horrifically expensive.)
    St. Lawrence Market: Is still actually a market -- it's really cool to go wander around, and there are vendors selling souvenirs or other non-food items, but a lot of it is butchers and food stands. (It's definitely worth stopping by though as the eggplant/veal parmesan sandwiches there are as good as their reputation. On the off chance that you still be hungry for dessert after an enormous sandwich, my husband really likes the Future Bakery there.) (Also, if you come by on a Sunday, the market proper is closed, but there's a really great restaurant with a buffet in the morning down near there called the Hot House which is fantastic. Make reservations, get there early, or be prepared to wait though.)

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    downer wrote: »
    Zeon wrote: »

Pretty open to suggestion. As I said, we really don't have anything planned, and we just want to fill the time so we don't waste our vacation sitting around the house. We're thinking about checking out St. Lawrence Market and Toronto Island Park.

Well, centerville (the amusement park area of the island) is closed now, so theres not much else on the island other than that. Theres the airport, and some small cafes, but not a lot to see unless you want to go and have a picnic or something, but its getting kind of cold. The island is always windy because its an island in the middle of a huge lake.

If youre looking to do some shopping, theres also the eatons center which is a huge ass mall right downtown. A lot of it is underground, and theres the path system which connects to public transit and a lot of the other buildings in the downtown core, so depending on when youre coming, you dont have to brave the cold outside, which is always nice.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Some things a little more off the standard beaten path.

I found when I went to the Pacific Mall I had a really good time. It's apparently the largest indoor Asian mall in North America, and not only are there a lot of interesting little stores, but I find the visual aesthetic of the mall itself really interesting. Endless glass cubes full of stuff.

The Distillery District. A large village housing an open-plan mall and a number of restaurants and brewpubs in the restored Victorian industrial buildings. I'm particularly partial to the Mill St. Pub as someone who really loves craft beer.

Other people have recommended the zoo, and I will too. It's massive, and there's plenty to do there, even when it's cold out. Depending on when your trip is, the stingray/shark petting experience may still be open, and is a must-do sort of thing.

Also depending on your timing, Canada's Wonderland may still be open, which is a good amusement park in my opinion.

For your side trip to Niagara, consider checking out the butterfly conservatory they have there, and you should definitely spend some time on Clifton Hill, possibly the tackiest tourist area I've ever been to.

Have fun!

Entriech on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A lot of good suggestions...

Just one reminder that people often overlook/aren't aware of: You need a passport now to cross over the border via car, which it sounds like that's what you're doing based on your "side trip" comment, but I can't be certain.

There's been a few posts in recent months with people who have forgotten/didn't know about it, then had to either cancel their trip or scramble around to get a passport at the last second.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • liquiddarkliquiddark Odd magpie St. John's, NLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you're into live theatre at all, there are a ton of live theatre venues downtown. To name just a few:

- Second City - career birthplace for entirely too many Canadian comics
    - Royal Alexandra Theatre - usually has a Broadway show playing with decent production values
    - Soulpepper, Tarragon, Factory, - Smaller theatres, more or less the beating heart of Toronto's professional theatre scene, usually producing new Canadian plays
    - Harbourfront Centre, Diesel - Smaller venues that usually have something interesting playing

There's also the Shaw festival if you're down by Niagara anyways, they're most active during the summer months and I don't know what would be playing this late in the season. They do George Bernard Shaw and his contemporaries. Similarly the Stratford festival takes place in Stratford, which is about 2 hours west of TO, and they do mostly Shakespeare. Both companies start to trail off in mid-October and don't pick up again until April or May.

liquiddark on
    Current project: Contension, a realtime tactics game for mobile
    @oldmanhero .programming .web comic .everything
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Casa Loma is awesome. The CN Tower is an absolute if you're into classic sightseeing. I think it's worth it for the glass floor alone, haha.

St. Lawrence Market is great, but you should also check out Kensington Market; it's legendary.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really enjoyed a sailing tour on the Kajama three master they have in the harbour.
    Also, i booked a tour by a greeter from the Tap into TO! program. Volunteers that do walking tours of a area of your choice. Great fun.

Eaton centre was allright.. Just a lot of stores...

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • PelPel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Take advantage of the world-class public transportation system. Buy a day or week bus pass and explore the city by bus/subway. You get to see a lot of things, and you can read a book or magazine, or chat with your SO while you do it. Try and avoid traveling by transit or car during rush hour, especially the DVP. This can be tough because Toronto's rush hour seems to last from 6:00 to 11:00 AM, then 1:00 to 7:30 PM some days, but really it's for your own benefit. At the very least, try to avoid the really nasty, common sense trouble spots: don't try to leave downtown at 5:00, for example.

Try to sample food from a different region of the world every day. Toronto is a great city for anyone that loves a varied diet, or alternatively, it may just make you love a varied diet even though you never realized it before.

Pacific mall was a great suggestion. It really is completely unlike any chain-store mall you will find in the US.

Pel on