As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Android] Thread: The root of all roms - market.android.com now live

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OSUJumpMan wrote: »
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Nah, I just set it near my pillow when I go to bed. Although the graph this morning told me what I already knew, I kept waking up last night >.<

I'm gonna keep an eye on this for the next 2 weeks, but since I started using it last Friday, I've noticed the gradual wake-up alarm has made me feel more awake in the morning. *shrug* Might be a placebo effect, I'm not sure.

It sounds like an interesting idea, but reading the reviews I'd be concerned about battery life during the daytime.

I haven't noticed any difference. It's not even showing up under my battery usage today.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hmmm, perhaps i will give it a try then. thanks for the info.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hm... I can't seem to load much of the comments on the market right now, but what I saw was in Japanese and nothing about battery life.

I'll keep an eye on it and see, though.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ebay's daily deal is $50 off the nook color with the coupon code CBARNESDD. Free shipping as well. The deal ends March 3rd. Those looking for a good, cheap entry point into the Android tablet marketplace take notice.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just switched to Cyanogen on my Incredible. Pretty smooth so far.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

How does it compare to other custom Roms? Or are you just coming from Stock?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I use Cyanogen on my moto-droid original, been using it for about 2 months. Zero complaints, everything has been running super well.

The only thing I'm interested in that I can't seen to get a hang on is doing a remote desktop to my PC. Granted, I haven't tried much.

Any recommendations?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TeamViewer?

admanb on
  • Options
    dukederekdukederek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I use Cyanogen on my moto-droid original, been using it for about 2 months. Zero complaints, everything has been running super well.

The only thing I'm interested in that I can't seen to get a hang on is doing a remote desktop to my PC. Granted, I haven't tried much.

Any recommendations?

VNC? I've been using that on my Milestone for ages now (stock and Cyanogen) I think I'm using androidVNC from the market and TightVNC on my desktop.

dukederek on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »

I'm coming from Virtuous 2.1, which was a very generic 2.2 rom. Cyanogen seems much snappier, looks prettier, and got me to actually use SetCPU which has increased my battery life by quite a bit.

Only downside is that it doesn't have a percentage-based battery icon like Virtuous did. Granted, I can install an app that adds one, but then I'll have two and I hate the cluttered look of the notification bar.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm using my galaxy tab as my primary phone now. I miss having 3g, though, let alone 4g

Evander on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There is a setting inthe Cyanogen UI to turn on batter percentage. On Droid at least

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I'm coming from Virtuous 2.1, which was a very generic 2.2 rom. Cyanogen seems much snappier, looks prettier, and got me to actually use SetCPU which has increased my battery life by quite a bit.

Only downside is that it doesn't have a percentage-based battery icon like Virtuous did. Granted, I can install an app that adds one, but then I'll have two and I hate the cluttered look of the notification bar.

That's good to know. I wonder how this new Cyanogen compares to Warm 2.2...

And I use a battery widget (passive polling) for my "percentage remaining" needs, though a good one on the Notification bar is always welcome.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So guess what is installing on my Nexus one right now. gingerbread. Google decided to give me a birthday release

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    OliverOliver Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Question:

I'm switching to verizon from sprint shortly and am going to be taking advantage of the penny phone deal on amazon wireless. I'm getting a phone each for myself and for my wife and am considering the Incredible and the droid 2. I know that the initial reviews for the droid 2 showed concern for weak signals in areas where verizon is typically strong, does anyone know if that is still a concern or was that just a problem with some of the initial sets that shipped out?

Thanks!

Oliver on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there a remote desktop app for android? I'd like to see how my downloads are getting on.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Perfect! thanks man, trying the second one out now.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Is there a remote desktop app for android? I'd like to see how my downloads are getting on.

Just up there I recommended some variant of VNC and I recommend it again.

I also use a VNC connection instead of a keyboard and mouse to control an HTPC in my living room

dukederek on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

If they are torrent downloads, check out Transdroid

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So apparently there are a bunch of malware loaded knock off apps in the market

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Google killed all the apps by that dev within five minutes of them finding out about it. This is pretty big news, though.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The perils of an uncurated, open marketplace.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    dukederek wrote: »

I also use a VNC connection instead of a keyboard and mouse to control an HTPC in my living room

I'm trying this and getting nowhere. The manual for androicvcn isn't loading so I'm running blind. I have right vnc in my desktop running too.

Help?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    dukederek wrote: »

I'm trying this and getting nowhere. The manual for androicvcn isn't loading so I'm running blind. I have right vnc in my desktop running too.

Help?
    Do you have another computer on the network you can use to test and make sure the VNC server is running right?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    sadly no. It's likely I'm setting it up all wrong.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    so if you're not connected to your wifi you're going to have to either VPN into your home network or forward the relevant ports on your router (5900 i think). sadly this is where my expertise ends.

otherwise do you have the VNC server program listening? If you click on the tray icon there should be an "accept incoming connections" checkbox. I think tightvnc doesn't start running until you've set a password either. then just point your androidVNC client at the IP of the computer and port 5900 with the relevant password and you should be laughing.

firewalls also. do you have one?

dukederek on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Smart arse Apple press release about how their approach is infinitely better in three... two...

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Meh, the boons far out weight the banes. I had a good laugh at the infected app list, I wonder who actually downloads 90% of those apps? (The "___ sexy ___" kind)

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    my favourite was the Paris Hilton Sex Noises one or whatever it was called. Why would I want that on my phone?

dukederek on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2011
    I am curious about something, as I want to understand how those who are pro-android and anti-apple reconcile this:

Everyone here seems to have to root their device and install custom OS builds to get the most out of them, and to customize the device beyond the limitations google and/or the carrier places.

How is this any different at all from jailbreaking an iPhone or iPad so that you can bypass the limitations apple places on the device?

I don't want a flamewar, and I use both platforms (or at the very least support both), but I am curious how one is a bad way of doing things and the other is okay.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am curious about something, as I want to understand how those who are pro-android and anti-apple reconcile this:

Everyone here seems to have to root their device and install custom OS builds to get the most out of them, and to customize the device beyond the limitations google and/or the carrier places.

How is this any different at all from jailbreaking an iPhone or iPad so that you can bypass the limitations apple places on the device?

I don't want a flamewar, and I use both platforms (or at the very least support both), but I am curious how one is a bad way of doing things and the other is okay.

I think it's the fact that people recommend installing a custom ROM instead of staying with the stock one that's the point of contention. For Android, it's installing a completely new ROM. For iOS, it's just a jailbreak. One is significantly easier than the other for a lot of people.

Not that I personally recommend the ROM thing. I rooted for WiFi tethering and that's it. I'm otherwise happy with Sense.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've never rooted my phone and I get everything I want out of it.

To expand on that, you see a lot of talk about rooting phones because that's what there is to talk about most, not because everyone does it

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    syndalis wrote: »

I think part of the difference is that there's better official/semi-official support for rooting. You can easily find apps on the Android Market that let you do things that require root access and on some phones rooting was literally something you could toggle from the settings menu. The user isn't viewed as a filthy pirate or the like for doing it.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't think iOS jailbreaking is bad (aside from the really bad ways you could jailbreak, such as the mere act of visiting a particular website), but it does seem to be that the existence of android's ecology of custom ROMs makes android rooting a lot more interesting. Having complete access to sources is pretty helpful here.

I don't even have root on my current phone though (although I could get it I suppose).

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Meh, the boons far out weight the banes. I had a good laugh at the infected app list, I wonder who actually downloads 90% of those apps? (The "___ sexy ___" kind)
    The unsexy kind of people, jealous of those afflicted with sxeleixa?

Cyvros on
  • Options
    TofenheimerTofenheimer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Finally got Gingerbeard on my Nexus One. ... Now how do I change the colour of the notification bar back to the colour it had in FroYo?

Tofenheimer on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i dont mind the new bar color. what i do mind are the new notification images and the green accent they added to things.

i think you would need to root it to get grey. though it would be cool to be able to select things liike that in the settings

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sure wish I could get FroYo...

...grumble Samsung....

Neurotika on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Sure wish I could get FroYo...

...grumble Samsung....

Which phone? Haven't all the ones that will be upgraded been upgraded now?

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule