As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Let's Player! Metroid Fusion

HeasarcHeasarc Registered User new member
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
Hello everybody

When I was looking for "Let's play" forums which were popular I had come across a thread in this forum which has to do with let's playing. I AM NOT here to advertise it. I am simply here to ask for some constructive critisizem about how I the first part of my let's play has went.

Was it good?
Was it bad?
Could I work on my voice?

I know most of you may not know much about let's plays considering this is a very broad forum topic, but since there have been threads on it I'm sure there must be a few of you guys out there who could help me out!

Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmhThgHkkEw

Thank you!

-Heasarc

Heasarc on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Even though this is still on G&T's page 1 index I'm gonna give it a little nudge, maybe attract attention to it. I'm not in a position to watch the video (dialup whee) but hopefully others will, and can provide some decent feedback.

At any rate I hope you stick around the community more and welcome to the forum.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HeasarcHeasarc Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Thank you very much for the warm welcome!

I do hope you will be able to watch the video as I am very new to let's playing and would like some opinions on how I am doing so far.

Have a nice evening :)

Heasarc on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    -Don't explain why you're doing Let's Plays. It's not really important. Unless you're doing something uninteresting in the game and need some filler commentary.
    -Don't namedrop other LPers.
    -Don't take so long to start the game. Explaining why you chose the game is fine, but it's something you could do while playing.
    -Don't read the on screen text.
    -Choosing a game you're very familiar with is a good plan. It'll give you a lot to explain and perhaps you have tips or trivia.
    -Your voice seems fine. The mic quality is good. The video quality is also good. Don't really see any technical issues.
    -Don't try to be funny (unless it comes naturally to you). Not saying you were, just a general comment. Humorous commentary is good but you have to be comfortable with it, or if you're not, get a friend to comment with you. Make sure they're not annoying though.
    -If you get a low viewercount or little response, don't get discouraged. I worked on GTA4 for almost a year and I think at the end only 30 people were watching it at the most. That's minuscule compared to the attention Something Awful LPs get. You have to do it because it's fun for you. If it starts to feel like more of a chore, then perhaps you shouldn't pursue this as a hobby.

In other words, don't LP to become an e-celebrity.

This is a pretty good effort though.

Adus on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Because it needs to be done: Fusion > Zero Mission.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to see more before I really comment. As said earlier, don't read the onscreen text. We can do.

The hard thing for me here is that I have no clue as to how your commentary is going to go, since all you did was read the intro.

Not saying anything bad. Intros for games take a while, and are often the least interesting bits of LPs, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Point being, give us more =)

Xaviar on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know a lot about this game, and I mean, a lot. I've beat this game around 45 times, and got :59 as my fastest any% time, a 1:08 time for 1% (two minutes slower than the fastest time) and a 1:26 for 100%. So yeah, I've played it a lot. I even went so far as buying the japanese version, which had extra difficulty modes.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know a lot about this game, and I mean, a lot. I've beat this game around 45 times, and got :59 as my fastest any% time, a 1:08 time for 1% (two minutes slower than the fastest time) and a 1:26 for 100%. So yeah, I've played it a lot. I even went so far as buying the japanese version, which had extra difficulty modes.

... You should LP this game!

Henroid on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This really should not have been it's own thread, this should've been posted in the LP archive thread

Please don't ever do what you did with talking over the beginning intro cinematic, that was horrible and a pain to watch

Don't mention that you emulate, that's a no-no here

You need to learn how to edit your videos, because if you honestly expect people to want to watch every mistake you make, they won't

Don't talk over cutscenes

You really shouldn't have made an account just to pimp your LP that's p tasteless

Silence out the beep at the beginning it's super simple to do

Ed: also I agree with everything Adus said

Rent on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

... You should LP this game!

If I did, it would be more like a "now you can speed run Fusion!" than a LP. There's a lot of tricks I can show people, but it's already been displayed in speed runs and the videos at Metroid2002.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz