Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Québec again

2»

Posts

  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Corvus wrote:
    Your name is Molson?
    I think Labatt would be the more likely Francaphone name (even if it's not).
    Scooter wrote:
    Quebec pisses me off because of the whole seperatist thing. My respect for individual Canadian provinces isn't that high anyways, given that they have the approximate population of a good sized American town, and I especially don't see what Quebec could possibly offer to the world as its own country.
    o_O

    Alternatively: Scooter seems tragically confused about federalism.

    Andrew_Jay on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    Corvus wrote:
    Your name is Molson?
    I think Labatt would be the more likely Francaphone name (even if it's not).
    Scooter wrote:
    Quebec pisses me off because of the whole seperatist thing. My respect for individual Canadian provinces isn't that high anyways, given that they have the approximate population of a good sized American town, and I especially don't see what Quebec could possibly offer to the world as its own country.
    o_O

    Alternatively: Scooter seems tragically confused about federalism.
    And population statistics.

    Senjutsu on
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Corvus wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    I am told that I have rich family in Quebec.

    They own a brewery.

    And they say my name in a way that is better than how anyone else says my name.

    But no.

    I had to go with the shitty American version.

    I cannot wait until the draft so I can run away to the brewery to escape dying.

    (I do not dislike Quebec)

    Your name is Molson?

    I have no idea what their name is.

    Relatively distant relatives.

    All I know is that they have French accents and lots of brewery monies.

    --

    Also, I'm pretty sure they make non-shit booze.

    Well, that depends what you mean by "lots". There are several small breweries around Québec making good money.

    Richy on
    sig.gif
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Richy wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Corvus wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    I am told that I have rich family in Quebec.

    They own a brewery.

    And they say my name in a way that is better than how anyone else says my name.

    But no.

    I had to go with the shitty American version.

    I cannot wait until the draft so I can run away to the brewery to escape dying.

    (I do not dislike Quebec)

    Your name is Molson?

    I have no idea what their name is.

    Relatively distant relatives.

    All I know is that they have French accents and lots of brewery monies.

    --

    Also, I'm pretty sure they make non-shit booze.

    Well, that depends what you mean by "lots". There are several small breweries around Québec making good money.

    I think they're big enough to get exported, but not big enough to market pisswater.

    Incenjucar on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User
    edited January 2007
    This might help you:

    Canadian Beer Index - Quebec

    Andrew_Jay on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    This might help you:

    Canadian Beer Index - Quebec

    You have to keep in mind that they've only been mentioned once in my life, maybe eight years ago.

    All I know is that I wish they used their pronunciation of my name.

    I would have gotten in more fights, but I would get the "oooh his name sounds exotic!" attention from the ladies.

    Incenjucar on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The people of Quebec are by and large just like everyone else: mostly decent. What I don't like is the leadership. There is a lot of bitching about unfair treatment and discrimination, even though every politician panders to the Quebec vote, and Quebec seems to get a whole lot of money dumped into the province because of it.

    I can't really blame the people of Quebec for voting as they do, though, because they get a lot of benefits from being led by separatist persecution-complex politicians. A lot of people I know who aren't separatists at all still vote for separatist leaders because of that.

    I'd have voted for anyone who would cut my tuition down to Quebec numbers when I was starting my undergrad, that's for damn sure.

    Evil Multifarious on
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Being from US, I certainly don't hate Quebecians because of their French preferences. In fact, I wish we'd establish some language laws...

    I had no problems in Quebec City or Montreal; I learned enough to get by, and no one gave me a hard time about my American (Chicagioan) accent.

    Have to agree with the others who say it's more Quebec's desire to be thier own country. Even if they do call it Tychonia.

    MichaelLC on
    Mugsley wrote:
    So now I need to get it trimmed and adjusted, and all in.

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Being considered a nation means nothing politically. Really, we have a Québes Nation, a Chinese Nation, an Indian Nation, a Native-American Nation, and to an extent you could call Newfoundland it's own nation.

    All being a nation means is that you share a common language, culture, beliefs.

    And Québec is also the only province not actually recognized in the Canadian Charter.

    Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Narian wrote:
    Being considered a nation means nothing politically. Really, we have a Québes Nation, a Chinese Nation, an Indian Nation, a Native-American Nation, and to an extent you could call Newfoundland it's own nation.

    All being a nation means is that you share a common language, culture, beliefs.

    And Québec is also the only province not actually recognized in the Canadian Charter.
    Which they chose, it should be noted.

    Senjutsu on
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The people of Quebec are by and large just like everyone else: mostly decent. What I don't like is the leadership. There is a lot of bitching about unfair treatment and discrimination, even though every politician panders to the Quebec vote, and Quebec seems to get a whole lot of money dumped into the province because of it.

    I can't really blame the people of Quebec for voting as they do, though, because they get a lot of benefits from being led by separatist persecution-complex politicians. A lot of people I know who aren't separatists at all still vote for separatist leaders because of that.

    I'd have voted for anyone who would cut my tuition down to Quebec numbers when I was starting my undergrad, that's for damn sure.

    Yup, I'm not against most quebecois. They're generally just nice, normal people. Who speak french. Hell, my fiance's uncle is from there.

    The thing that annoys most other canadians is the seperationist crap and the constant pandering to them on the federal level. How many of our PMs in the last like 50 years have been from Quebec? In the end, you almost always need the Quebec vote to win. It just seems to alot of people outside the province that if the candidates not from Quebec, the quebecois won't vote for them. Might not be correct, just the way it seems to those of us outside the province.

    Not that I can blame them of course. Like you said, it gets them some nice perks.

    shryke on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yes we are somewhat different from the rest of Canada, but I don't care about that separatist crap. It's not because we speak french that we should be a different nation.

    But I do agree with immigrants having to learn french tho. There's a lot of english speaking people in Montreal but outside of that people speak mainly french. If I go to the USA without being able to speak english, should I expect a french speaking employee wherever I go to cater to my needs?

    Or to make a better comparison... You can get around speaking spanish in the US but you shouldn't expect anyone you interact with to be able to speak in spanish just because YOU can't speak english.

    Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My only real problem with Quebec are the separatists. Apparently they want to leave Canada, but they still want to get money from the Canadian Government.

    In my opinion, you can't have it both ways.

    Oh, and when I was little, my Grandparents had a mobile home in South Florida, and we'd go there once a year to visit them, and chat it up with the locals.

    As soon as we said we were in Canada, we were asked 1 or both of the 2 following questions:

    1) "So do you get a lot of snow up there" / "Boy, you must be happy to get out of the cold" / something to that extent
    2) Are you from Quebec?

    When they asked #2 and we said no, they would proceed to bitch about the French Canadian snowbirds and how they're rude and think they own the place or some such.

    So apparently a good portion of South Florida doesn't like Les Quebecois.

    [spoiler:7a2a52775b]olol rednecks olol[/spoiler:7a2a52775b]

    saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My only real problem with Quebec are the separatists. Apparently they want to leave Canada, but they still want to get money from the Canadian Government.

    That's not true at all. Levesque wanted sovereignty-association (which is basically what we have now; open federalism and all), while Parizeau and Boisclair want out-right separation.

    saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    saggio wrote:
    My only real problem with Quebec are the separatists. Apparently they want to leave Canada, but they still want to get money from the Canadian Government.

    That's not true at all. Levesque wanted sovereignty-association (which is basically what we have now; open federalism and all), while Parizeau and Boisclair want out-right separation.
    Yeah, I think it was Parizeau that set up a sketchy slush fund of a couple billion dollars (I think 5 billion?) for use in the case of seperation (financially and otherwise) from Canada.

    Zoolander on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That being said, is there a summary or manifesto of how they propose to separate, if they ever are successful in doing so?

    I'd be interested to see how they propose to just break off from Canada completely.

    saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Being from québec, the one thing that gets on my nerves is the continual talk about separation. How many times do we have to say no for it to stick? I can understand why some of the other provinces would get fed up about it. Living here, one of the things that gets to me is the un-belivable amount of beuraucracy compared to elsewhere. We have our own system for everything. Income tax, UI etc... We have our own blood bank even!! Why can't we just do like all the other provinces and share the resources?

    Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • BansheeBanshee Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Hi everyone. First time poster, long-ass time lurker on PA. :P

    I live in Quebec, and I find it extremely interesting what people have to say about my province. I guess everyone feels that way about their home.

    My only gripe with Quebec is the way the English language is perceived outside of the greater Montreal area. These zenophobic tendencies are buried so deep in the rural social fabric that I don't think it will completely go away.

    I personally think all Quebecois should have a solid understanding of both the French and English language, but a fairly good portion of the French Population already has a hard time grasping French. :|

    Oh well.

    Oh, and having French AND English packaging on stuff SUCKS. I have to wait forever for figurines to be sold in stores! (That's a good reason for the rest of Canada to hate us, if there ever is one! :P)

    Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LordLeviathanLordLeviathan Registered User
    edited January 2007
    it seem that most people don't like Québec and don't like it's people

    maybe posting a topic on Québec was bad idea.

    LordLeviathan on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just hate how the Bloc gets in everyones way, all the time.

    Meissnerd on
    do not ask for whom the snerd tolls
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    it seem that most people don't like Québec and don't like it's people

    maybe posting a topic on Québec was bad idea.
    I don't think many people have a problem with Québecois. I mean, Richy is one of our long-time buddies, and he's French Canadian. It just sounds like the status of political and social separatism puts a self-imposed rift between Canadians and French Canadians.

    I've known a few French Canadians in my life, and they were pretty neat people. There is something of the French aloofness to some Québecois at times, though, and it's occasionally exaggerated and self-conscious.

    Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    it seem that most people don't like Québec and don't like it's people

    maybe posting a topic on Québec was bad idea.

    Look, theres a major difference between saying "I don't like things A, B and C about Quebec" and "I don't like Quebec or the Quebecois"

    I think you should give this thread a closer read.

    Corvus on
    :so_raven:
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.