As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

originality in gaming

hello bulletshello bullets Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Is there any originallity left? Two of the biggest games out right now are Legend of Zelda: TP, and Gears. Zelda is still following the same basic formula they've been using for years, and Gears is essentialy just another squad based shooter albiet one with polish and nice camera placements. And these are games i actually like. a few years ago i swore i wouldnt play anything until i thought a game actually had some new ideas, an oath that lasted about a day. i see people ranting about how some budget game was an exercise in borrowed ideas and repetition, and then these same people are giving some blockbuster game a 9.99999 (cause no game is truly perfect) rating even though all it does is tweek the existing formula in a few interesting ways.

have we all gone from jaded full circle back to blind acceptance?

are there any new genres to be discovered? any new ideas? anybody?

hello bullets on

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Katamari?

Okay, now for a real reason. Know why originality in games is slipping? Let me quote something from Phillip J Fry. "The public doesn't want something new, they want something they've seen a thousand times before." Not to say that this is bad, but sales really show on new, original ideas being something of a suprising low, while standards really go far with stuff we've seen before, and things such as sequels. It's not that we wouldn't want to see original things in our games, but it would be a little risky for a company to produce something different and new in some cases.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    touche...although i would prefer one you couldn't finish in a days free time

hello bullets on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Katamari?

Loco Roco?
    Tokobots?
    Okami?
    Viva Pinata?
    Come on, this last generation was full of original ideas. Animal Crossing? Super Monkey Ball? Chibi-Robo? Stubbs the Zombie? Psychonauts? How far back do I need to go? Fucking Mister Mosquito? People complain about lack of originality and then original games come out and nobody fucking buys them. Did you buy Graffiti Kingdom?

(BTW, regarding Twilight Princess, Zelda has never been about groundbreaking originality. It's about taking existing formulae, doing them really well, and adding one or two new elements. I didn't get that for a long, long time.)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Feral wrote:
    Katamari?

Loco Roco?
    Tokobots?
    Okami?
    Viva Pinata?
    Come on, this last generation was full of original ideas. Animal Crossing? Super Monkey Ball? Chibi-Robo? Stubbs the Zombie? Psychonauts? How far back do I need to go? Fucking Mister Mosquito? People complain about lack of originality and then original games come out and nobody fucking buys them.

(BTW, regarding Twilight Princess, Zelda has never been about groundbreaking originality. It's about taking existing formulae, doing them really well, and adding one or two new elements. I didn't get that for a long, long time.)

How many innovative games involve rolling shit around?

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Colossus

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I know all about that, but it was just one example. It is contradictory that last generation didn't have many new ideas. It had several, I would imagine it to have the most I've ever seen out of all generations of consoles, actually. With the power that was avaliable, there was so many new idea that took off.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cokomon wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Katamari?

Loco Roco?
    Tokobots?
    Okami?
    Viva Pinata?
    Come on, this last generation was full of original ideas. Animal Crossing? Super Monkey Ball? Chibi-Robo? Stubbs the Zombie? Psychonauts? How far back do I need to go? Fucking Mister Mosquito? People complain about lack of originality and then original games come out and nobody fucking buys them.

Well... two, apparently.

Food on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cokomon wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Katamari?

Loco Roco?
    Tokobots?
    Okami?
    Viva Pinata?

Dead Rising

:winky:

You want original ideas? Every system is full of them.

Shadow of the Colossus
    Ico
    Dead Rising
    Trauma Center
    Phoenix Wright
    Viewtiful Joe
    Katamari Damacy
    Guitar Hero
    The Wii, as a whole.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Taramoor wrote:
    Cokomon wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Katamari?

Loco Roco?
    Tokobots?
    Okami?
    Viva Pinata?

Dead Rising

:winky:

Conker's Bad Fur Day :(

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    okay, viva pinata and okami were awesome, and your right they were great original ideas, and hell i put sixty hours in to TP. what i'm sayin isnt that there arent any new ideas, just that they all end up being these low selling sleeper hits.

i dont think the big game makers are really willing to risk money promoting unfounded ideas, so they slip quietly onto shelves while the games that have been done a hundred times over get all the fireworks and midnight releases.

and yeah...shadow of the colossus was in my oppinion the best game to come out in the entirety of the last generation. i've been considering a tattoo of the kid stabbing a weak point on my side

hello bullets on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You want innovation? Here's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Kirby Canvas Curse
    Pokemon Ranger
    Contact
    Cooking Mama
    Viewtiful Joe
    Okami
    ICO
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Super Monkey Ball
    Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
    Madden Wii
    PoP: The Two Thrones (I thought speed kills were innovative - they managed to meld combat, platforming, and stealth with awesome results)
    Katamari Damacy
    Wii Sports
    Ikaruga (maybe the colors thing is really a gimmick, but the game certainly has unique strategy and scoring opportunities)
    Final Fantasy XII (I think it's innovative to let me program my partner's AI beyond "agressive, healer, etc.")

I'm sure there are more, but I think that's plenty long.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aren't we just saying "all the low-hanging fruit has already been picked?"

http://lostgarden.com/2007/01/project-horseshoe-report-building.html
    Most publishers and developers are trapped in an archaic pitching and greenlighting system that punishes rational risk taking, does little to predict the market success of titles, and is poor at tapping into new market segments. No one really knows what makes a hit, so those in charge use mystical heuristics, gut checks and unreliable expert opinions. The result is large numbers of questionable titles are developed at considerable cost, only to fail financially in the market place.

This practice has both financial and human costs. On the money side, resources are wasted, publishers face instability, and accordingly, value is not efficiently passed along to the customer. On the human side, teams get burnt out, and job insecurity and team churn are commonplace. And, on the product side, innovative games as a category go unexplored. In the face of great uncertainty, the industry uses the crudest of measures to predict success – all future games are required to look exactly like recent hits.

Highly-recommended read, if you're interested in game originality or the lack thereof.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wii

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lost Kingdoms!

Just a really fun action RPG with a card based battle system, sort of.

Maybe if I say its name enough From Software will make a new one.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Duel Weilding.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That PSP game that's coming out that generates platforming levels based on the songs on your memory stick.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GertBeef wrote:
    Duel Weilding.

Real-time weapons change!

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There certainly has been a lack of originality in games, namely FFXII.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gears of War is more innovative than people give it credit for.

Then again, this is a OLOLZ bash good games thread.

You know what guys. OH MY GOSH zelda has been doing the same goddam near perfect gameplay for years. Shit why dont they change it, add in some crazy graphics or some rolling tingle katamari game.

And SoTC is hardly innovative.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

You know what guys. OH MY GOSH zelda has been doing the same goddam near perfect gameplay for years. Shit why dont they change it, add in some crazy graphics or some rolling tingle katamari game.

Oh Toad, you're such a card.

edit: What I'm trying to say is you can present opinions without being so confrontational.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    agree agree agree.

bleh.

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SirToons wrote:

edit: What I'm trying to say is you can present opinions without being so confrontational.

Whoops.

I should have italicised half of that text because it was sarcasm, well, italics is the general code for sarcasm in a medium where tone of voice cant be inferred.

By which I mean these threads always devolve into such confrontational backlash, which annoys me.

Me saying that was a bit more of an elaborate way of saying 'Nintendo is doomed' every nintendo thread, which is sarcasm at the hate those threads generate.

Thanks for calling me on it though, so I could explain my reasoning.

In summary, I wasnt being an ass, just pointing out how dangerous these kinds of threads can be, especially from a person who signed up to make it.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

SotC completely changed the way boss fights work. The old "wait for opening, stab at weak point" is still there, but that's it. Adding a climbing and grappling dynamic was completely new, as was making the behavior patterns seem like natural animal behavior patterns instead of... well, instead of video game boss patterns.

If other games don't learn some lessons from SotC I'm going to be very disappointed in the games industry.

Feral on

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SirToons wrote:

Whoops.

I should have italicised half of that text because it was sarcasm, well, italics is the general code for sarcasm in a medium where tone of voice cant be inferred.

By which I mean these threads always devolve into such confrontational backlash, which annoys me.

Me saying that was a bit more of an elaborate way of saying 'Nintendo is doomed' every nintendo thread, which is sarcasm at the hate those threads generate.

Thanks for calling me on it though, so I could explain my reasoning.

In summary, I wasnt being an ass, just pointing out how dangerous these kinds of threads can be, especially from a person who signed up to make it.

You probably put way more thought into this post than you should have. But regardless, I know what you're talking about. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Katamari?

Okay, now for a real reason. Know why originality in games is slipping? Let me quote something from Phillip J Fry. "The public doesn't want something new, they want something they've seen a thousand times before." Not to say that this is bad, but sales really show on new, original ideas being something of a suprising low, while standards really go far with stuff we've seen before, and things such as sequels. It's not that we wouldn't want to see original things in our games, but it would be a little risky for a company to produce something different and new in some cases.

Even then, Katamari isn't entirely original. Marble Madness was based on the same basic principle, Katamari just expanded upon it.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TP is the odd case in Zelda actually, all the past games are completly different from each other, and the only reason it exists is because there was enough whining about the WW for it to happen, if that wasn't the case TP would be another game entirely, just like Zelda wii is more than likely going to be insanely different.

mantidor on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's called CRUSH.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mspencer wrote:
    Aren't we just saying "all the low-hanging fruit has already been picked?"

http://lostgarden.com/2007/01/project-horseshoe-report-building.html
    Most publishers and developers are trapped in an archaic pitching and greenlighting system that punishes rational risk taking, does little to predict the market success of titles, and is poor at tapping into new market segments. No one really knows what makes a hit, so those in charge use mystical heuristics, gut checks and unreliable expert opinions. The result is large numbers of questionable titles are developed at considerable cost, only to fail financially in the market place.

This practice has both financial and human costs. On the money side, resources are wasted, publishers face instability, and accordingly, value is not efficiently passed along to the customer. On the human side, teams get burnt out, and job insecurity and team churn are commonplace. And, on the product side, innovative games as a category go unexplored. In the face of great uncertainty, the industry uses the crudest of measures to predict success – all future games are required to look exactly like recent hits.

Highly-recommended read, if you're interested in game originality or the lack thereof.

Thread over. Thanks for the link.

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Every system and gen has lots of original games. Look harder.

Flesh Into Gear on
    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png
  • Options
    Daisuke SpoonDaisuke Spoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That PSP game that's coming out that generates platforming levels based on the songs on your memory stick.

Got any more info on this?

Daisuke Spoon on
    pikaserious.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 0002-2940-9674
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    genImage.aspx?uri=2007-01-25T095041Z_01_NOOTR_RTRIDSP_2_TECH-NINTENDO-RESULTS-DC.jpg&resize=w160

pic.gif

Completely original.

bruin on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Innovation does not mean revolution. Gears of War brought a new combination of solid elements together. Super Monkey Ball was just Marble Madness done 3d.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Innovation does not mean revolution. Gears of War brought a new combination of solid elements together. Super Monkey Ball was just Marble Madness done 3d.

I thought there was some innovation there. It was necessary to weigh whether it was worth it to go grab bananas or take the easiest route. I also thought it was novel to control the tilt of the world instead of the ball itself.

Also, innovation also doesn't necessarily mean fun. Something innovative just means that it's new. I'd rather see a good mix of new innovations and well-polished game paradigms. Sometimes I don't want to do something brand new that doesn't have the kinks worked out. Sometimes it's enough to know that I'm having an extremely refined and well-polished experience even if people were playing similar games years ago.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    For those of you who claim that Shadow of the Colossus is not innovative, I'm going to go ahead and pimp this link again. It may have a little less to do with the gameplay, but the programmers of the game very clearly had a good imagination and went with some fairly innovative variations on the same old formula.

Ballman on
  • Options
    GotLagGotLag Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Publishers don't want revolutionary games. Evolution is less risky. Less risky means smooth risk distribution. Smooth risk distribution means lower chance to actually lose money.
    People here are pointing out names, but these games are mostly exceptions confirming the rule.

Of course, the publishers are not guilty for caring about their money. Its predominantly gamers' fault. There will not be any real vast innovation while crappy games spawned by crappy movie franchises and crappy sequels to crappy games sell more units than an original idea. The market is working in both directions, first - publishers are forming gamers' opinions and aesthetics, and on the other hand - gamers are giving feedback by choosing what to buy. If users do not punish publishers for publishing boring unoriginal stuff, then the publishers do not feel the urge to support original games.
    There certainly is an alternative - bypassing the publishers which are generally an unnecessary intermediate level in the communication chain between developers and gamers. We have such a good distribution medium as the Internet, so if we get lucky the business model may change in the future. Things like Steam and episodic games show that there is hope.

anyway, this is a pretty popular article on the topic, parts 1 & 2:
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/8/3
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/9/4

GotLag on
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    <warning --> first post>

Actually its game budgets that are the problem. Most people will risk a small amount of cash on innovative stuff, it's the multi-million dollar budgets that need to be safe ground. I'm an indie developer, so I am only risking my own money (and time) so I can make whatever the fck I want (and do). I would hate to have had to 'pitch' my game ideas to a publisher and explained that there are thousands of people just wanting the game I intend to make, especially if I can't say another (hit) game that it's 'just like'.
    If you want innovative games, and aren't a graphics whore, then I might suggest trying out Gish or Bridge Builder or Masters of Defense, maybe even Bettys Beer bar. These are all small, low budget indie games, so don't expect tri-linear bump mapping, but at least they aren't identikit WW2 FPS games or by the-numbers fantasy MMORPGs.

Innovation is limited to a VERY small number of 'bankable' superstar-designers like Will Wright, or the truly independet small developer who can do what he wants. Even the big guys often get nervous witterings from the publisher (I worked for molyneux in the past, and even he does not have carte blanche with the publishers money)

Obviously all my games are massively original, but I won't go on about them as I'll seem like I'm astroturfing :D.

cliffski on
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, what are you comparing this generation to? Yeah, there were a ton of games that just copied off of the other good ones, but the same can be said for every system ever. For every original NES game, there were like 5000 Super Mario Bros. rip offs.

If anything, it's getting to the point where a lot of developers see what people want and are making games that suit those needs.

Pooch on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Also, just because you can think of one other game similar to an 'original' game, that doesn't suddenly make it unoriginal. Katamari had gameplay elements similar to Marble Madness. So what? That doesn't suddenly make it 'unoriginal'. Especially when you look not just at the gameplay, but the entire presentation.

When people talk about 'originality', generally they don't mean 'wholly unique that has never drawn on other sources ever'. They just mean 'something that deviates substantially from the norm and does something most modern games dont'. Marble Madness, as an example, has no bearing on the game market today and its relation to Katamari has no bearing on Katamari's unique place in the market.

t gotlag - you say publishers are 'generally unnecessary'. Where do you think developers get all that money to pay all those people to make their games? Until devs can find another dependable, stable source of income to fund their projects (and pay their salaries), publishers are far, far away from 'generally unnecessary'.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm pretty sure that throughout history more things have been un-innovative than they've been innovative. We were just fooled by the transition to 3D that games would start seeming fresh and new all the time, and that was a pipe dream. This isn't a new problem; think back on all your favorite 8- or 16-bit games and see how many of them are just platformers or RPGs.

Blitz Rawket on