As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Reach Campaign, Co-Op, and Forge Thread || Metatag: A PA Reach CoOp ||

FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
If you want to talk about versus multiplayer and things related to it, go to Badman's thread.
The Reach Campaign, Lore, and Campaign Co-Op thread and Forge help

Why is Forge discussion in this thread?
The Campaign thread moves at a slower pace than the multiplayer thread, and also it's possible to make single player Forge creations like art maps and jump challenge maps. Generally, you should post your progress reports and forge shots and forge help requests in here, and then you invite people in the multiplayer thread when you want to play customs on it.

Rules of Campaign Thread
* Use the spoiler tags! We have people reading this thread that have already played the game. Don't play dumb. Spoil that shit.

* What is a considered a spoiler?
- Every storyline event in the game. (duh)
- Anything that happens to a character ( for the smartasses out there)
- The name of the last mission two missions which are
The Pillar of Autumn and Lone Wolf

* What is not a spoiler?
- The number of missions
- Firefight map names

* Forging discussion is in this thread, for the actual act of Forging and help with it or 'special' non-competitive maps. If you want to invite people to playtest a map, use the multiplayer thread.

* When sending a Friend Request to people, mention in text or voice (text is better) that you're from PA. You can even just type "PA". Otherwise you run a high chance of people ignoring the request or deleting it.

Credits (cR) System

Credits, or "cR", is the new experience/currency/ranking system of Reach. You've probably seen it hanging around the bottom of most Reach screenshots. cR is earned in all game modes: Campaign, Customs, Firefight, Multiplayer.. you name it. As you gain more cR, you can spend it on things like armor, effects, Firefight voices, kneepads, helmets.. the list goes on. You'll also go up in military rank as you gain CR. Spending cR does not drop your rank.

Since Trueskill ranks are no longer visible, they also no longer play into your unlockable items or rank. This means everyone will have to go up through the same ranks!

The Fairer Sex

Finally making their debut in Reach is female Spartans! Your female Spartan will show up in every game mode.

ForAllTheLadies.jpg

SomethingSpecial.jpg

Instead of just being a different voice like in Halo 3, female characters actually look female now. The female Spartan also has full voice acting in Campaign, so there's full recorded lines for both male and female players throughout the story. Huzzah!

Armor

Reach will have a plethora of armor options to choose from for your character. All armor details and options will also be reflected in campaign, so your character will be the same across all game modes. The only change is that the Flaming Helmet effect for multiplayer will be turned off for cutscenes.

2 limited you to either Spartan or Elite. 3 had Chest, Shoulders, and Helmet. Reach will have Firefight Voice, Helmet, Shoulders, Kneepads, Chest, Gender, Visor Color and a few more options they have not shown yet.

Some armor pieces will only be unlockable through combined community effort. All armor is purchased via the cR system, and only cR-bought armor counts towards 100% completion (the bonus armors do not count towards completion)

Note that none of the armor grants you any traits. It's all just for show.

More details will come as Bungie reveals them.

Abilities

Sprint - Allows a player to increase their maximum speed for a short duration. A cooldown is required before it can be used again. Sprinting into someone and meleeing them will throw them back farther.

Jetpack - It's a jetpack! What more can I say? You can either use it all up in one go for verticality or feather it to clear large gaps. Go too high though, and you'll die when you hit the ground.

Armor Lock - When activated, your spartan punches the ground and becomes invincible. And is stationary. And makes a loud sound and has a shield over him. The longer you hold the lock, the bigger your EMP blast when you come out of it.

Heal Bubble - Basically the Bubble Shield and Regen from Halo 3 combined. When activated, your spartan will drop a bubble shield that quickly heals anyone who steps inside of it. Once the haven deactivates, you can redeploy it.

Evade - aka the roll ability. Allows players to quickly dodge incoming fire and players. In the beta, you could roll 2 times before having to wait for the short cooldown. You stay in the first person view when using this.

Active Camo - A retooling of the classic cloaking ability. Activing this ability will cloak you (duh). It's drain speed increases the faster you move, and your visiblity increases the faster you move. Standing still = almost perfectly cloaked. Running = poor camo from Halo 3. As an added bonus, you'll also jam the radar of any nearby enemies and yourself. Be warned that all your fake dots will show up on the same elevation as you.

Hologram - A fake version of you, demonstrated in the Deja View video. Works by pointing at where you want it to go. When activated, your fake self will walk to that spot and stop. It appears that it can take a few hits before being destroyed.

Your available abilities are dependent on the gametype. You can only "carry" one at a time, and they are not dropped when you die, although this may be avaiable as a custom games option in retail.

Campaign

When

Halo: Reach takes place right before Halo 1. Your current Halo game timeline:

Halo Wars -> Halo: Reach -> Halo 1 -> Halo 2 -> ODST -> Halo 2 -> Halo 3

Got it?

Where

Halo: Reach takes place on the human colony planet Reach. The game's story is NOT based on the Fall of Reach book by Eric Nylund, although it will probably have references to it. You saw Reach in the opening cutscene of Halo 2 (as the Pillar of Autumn is jumping away from it), and has been referenced by both Elites and Marines in 2 and 3.

Achievements

Bungie has decided to get out ahead of the modders and Microsoft's inability to keep achievements under wraps by showing all 49 of them in icon form:
640x480.jpg

They have also revealed the names of some of them:
* A Monument to All Your Sins – Complete each Campaign Mission on Legendary – alone.
* Banshees, Fast and Low – Hijack a Banshee during the Reach Campaign.
* Yes, Sensei – Earn a First Strike Medal in a Matchmaking game.
* A New Challenger – Complete all of the Daily Challenges in a given day.
* Make It Rain – Purchase an item from the Armory that requires the rank of Lt. Colonel.

"Twenty-three of them are Campaign-specific Achievements. We set out to make sure that each Campaign mission has its own ‘special’ Achievement, like:

If They Came to Hear Me Beg – Perform an Assassination against an Elite to survive a fall that would’ve been fatal."
Retail

Editions

Legendary Edition - 150$ US

legendary_box_contents.jpg

Microsoft has claimed that they learned their lesson from Halo 3 and will only produce enough Reach Legendaries to cover preorders. At this point in time, the only Legendaries available seem to be in Best Buys in less populated areas. If you want it, you should pick it up now.

The Legendary Edition comes with all the bonus content of the Limited Edition, plus the Flaming Head armor effect for multiplayer Spartans and Elites, and a statue of Noble Team made by McFarlane Toys.

It also smells like lacquered paint. The smell of awesome.

Limited Edition - 80$ US

limited_box_contents.jpg

The Limited Edition is the more popular "extras" edition for people, and there certainly is no problem with not making the jump for Legendary. Included with the Limited Edition is a book presented in the format of Dr. Halsey's journal, written via a collaboration with Bungie and Eric Nylund. It also includes an exclusive Elite Officer armor for multiplayer Elites. Other real-world items include a patch and some stickers.

Normal Edition - 60$ US

Those who don't want to spend more money on Halo than they have to don't have to miss out on bonus content. All launch day new copies in North America included the Recon armor - you may still be lucky if a store still has a first shipment and has a "Includes Recon" sticker on the front.

Bonuses

Still confused? Here's a matrix to inform your decisions.
armorbonusreach.png

FyreWulff on

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Resoived

FyreWulff on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So my Battle/Beaver Creek tribute is coming along pretty well I think. The bases are completely not like their predecessors due to my choice of location. But the spirit is there, and unlike most remakes I see online, I have an actual river

Pics of progress when I get the chance later today

Joolander on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mmmmm new thread smell.

Anyone else think today's challenges are pretty bleh? There should always be at least one challenge related to campaign, or doable in it.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Am I alone in being excited about campaign being on matchmaking soon?

It's like firefight, but with an end goal that's more than just to survive. Also I want the little co-op legendary skull to show up on my profile. I'm assuming you can select difficulty?

Also it'll make it a lot easier and more fun to complete the campaign dailys when they come up.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's a good idea, campaign matchmaking, but one that doesn't really affect me. I have friends who regularily do this sort of thing already.

Sipex on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mmmmm new thread smell.

Anyone else think today's challenges are pretty bleh? There should always be at least one challenge related to campaign, or doable in it.

Uh, one of today's challenges is to complete a level with Tilt activated on Heroic or harder.

Honestly the campaign challenges are making me get a little tired of campaign. Stuff like ONI and New Alexandria are becoming kind of rote.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited September 2010
    Well yeah, i've done most of those daily challenges with pa folks anyway, but still. Having the option there would be nice so I don't feel like if I missed the PA rush to do something I missed the boat entirely.

The Dude With Herpes on

• xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just have a bad feeling that campaign matchmaking is going to result in three guys bullying a fourth guy to stand in the back and function as a mobile spawn point.

Or millions of betrayals over who gets the sniper rifle.

xzzy on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I saw someone today that has the Onix "Flawless Cowboy" commendation.

He currently had 116 towards it, which is insane really. I'm not sure I can believe he did it legitimately. That's 116 levels of campaign done on Heroic or harder, and not dying a single time during it.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Driving the cart through Sword Base as a technical is the best thing.
    reach3876531full.jpg

Mechanical on
  • dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kor wrote: »

He currently had 116 towards it, which is insane really. I'm not sure I can believe he did it legitimately. That's 116 levels of campaign done on Heroic or harder, and not dying a single time during it.

Resuming from a checkpoint near the end and not dying will apparently count as a flawless level. I would guess that's how they got to Onyx.

dinoarus on
    Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

That's insane patience, but maybe do-able on the first mission? It didn't seem so bad doing it on Legendary.

Or.........I read this on another forum for when the challenge was to do the ONI base without dying as a challenge.
    pro-tip for doing the Oni Challenge today

To do this easily, play through the level on Legendary and don't worry about dying (ignore the message about challenge failed). When you get towards the end, before you fight off the Phantom and Banshees with rockets, go to the menu and Save and Quit.

Then go back with Resume Solo Campaign and check out your Challenge status, it'll be back to normal. Blow up the phantom and banshees and get your challenge done.

This will also give you Carter's helmet avatar reward.
    Maybe that'd count for Flawless Cowboy?

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    edited September 2010
    most likely, yes, I would imagine that is what many folks who are getting it are doing.

The Dude With Herpes on

• TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would guess that's the only way they would have onyx on that one at this point.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Though, even then...I imagine they're doing something to abuse save files to keep reloading right at the end of a mission and getting it.

Otherwise, the time requirement to do a full campaign stage that many times, also taking into account how many matchmaking games folks who have it have, it's almost completely impossible for them to be doing it without exploiting something.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited September 2010
    Been workin' on this one a bit when I burn out on Platte

Calamus (about.. 40% done?)

calamus_wip.jpg

FyreWulff on
  • The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can run through Winter Contingency, avoiding all of the fights except helping the marines before they get picked up and the fight at the end with Jorge (you have to wait on the fight where Kat is hacking the door, but you don't have to participate in it), save and quit before you hit the button at the end, reload, kill the 4 grunts and sword elite, hit the button, finish. Load campaign, kill the 4 grunts and sword elite, finish. Repeat. Each time gets you a Flawless Cowboy as long as you did not die during the run where you avoided most of the fights (which should not have taken that long as it is). I read that people were able to save right after hitting the button at the end, so that upon campaign load, it basically just went to the score screen. Honestly, this seems painful, because the load for each campaign continue takes longer than it does to kill the 4 grunts and sword elite. ..

The Burnin8or on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can run through Winter Contingency, avoiding all of the fights except helping the marines before they get picked up and the fight at the end with Jorge (you have to wait on the fight where Kat is hacking the door, but you don't have to participate in it), save and quit before you hit the button at the end, reload, kill the 4 grunts and sword elite, hit the button, finish. Load campaign, kill the 4 grunts and sword elite, finish. Repeat. Each time gets you a Flawless Cowboy as long as you did not die during the run where you avoided most of the fights (which should not have taken that long as it is). I read that people were able to save right after hitting the button at the end, so that upon campaign load, it basically just went to the score screen. Honestly, this seems painful, because the load for each campaign continue takes longer than it does to kill the 4 grunts and sword elite. ..

The answer, you have it.

This is kind of sad although I can't really judge, I did the 1 mil in 10 mins map after all.

Sipex on
    edited September 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

calamus_wip.jpg

I suggest you call it Geyphrophobia, just for that old school reference.

xzzy on
    edited September 2010
    Sipex wrote: »

The answer, you have it.

This is kind of sad although I can't really judge, I did the 1 mil in 10 mins map after all.

That's only 10 minutes though. It's going to take way more than 10 minutes to get 116 flawless cowboys using this method and the majority of the time will be spent staring at the load screen. At that point, it should be called the 'Now Loading' commendation . . .

The Burnin8or on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not only that, the 1 million in 10 only gets you achievements and doesn't count towards your online credits and commendations.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I found the method that has been posted, but I wasn't going to post it because it is unquestionably an exploit and hopefully bungie will follow through with slapping people who did it.

I don't care if they get banned or not, but they should have the commendations and cR/Rank removed.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited September 2010
    Yeah I found the method that has been posted, but I wasn't going to post it because it is unquestionably an exploit and hopefully bungie will follow through with slapping people who did it.

I don't care if they get banned or not, but they should have the commendations and cR/Rank removed.

Bungie has a precedent of not caring if people game the system. There was that booster in Halo 3 that got everyone all angry, and Bungie was like "quit gettin mad". They've said the same thing about the 1 million point achievement, and will probably say the same thing about glitching campaign to get commendations.

They're just virtual pennies that give people virtual helmets and knives. No reason to ban someone over it unless it involves cheating in an online game.

xzzy on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    With the level cap imposed (and I'm sure there will be multiple caps before everything is obtainable), Bungie doesn't really care if people bank a bazillion credits without actually manipulating the game code.

DarkPrimus on
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »

calamus_wip.jpg

I suggest you call it Geyphrophobia, just for that old school reference.

ROKKIT RACE!!!!:o

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
    edited September 2010
    I will say, I am laughing to myself at all these idiots who are cheesing the fuck out of their commendations. It's going to be hilarious when Bungie raises the level cap, and they're getting 150 cR a game because they're no longer getting anything towards commendations.

Kor on
  • LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rocket race is gonna be boss next week. Can't wait til they start adding more Forge maps.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
    edited September 2010
    I will say, I am laughing to myself at all these idiots who are cheesing the fuck out of their commendations. It's going to be hilarious when Bungie raises the level cap, and they're getting 150 cR a game because they're no longer getting anything towards commendations.

In the end though, what difference will it make?

they will have just front loaded their cR from commendations instead of spreading it out over time.

They'll end up getting the same amount total; it'll just appear less later.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited September 2010

they will have just front loaded their cR from commendations instead of spreading it out over time.

They still need to earn credits to rank up to spend those credits though, and without the commendations to help boost them it will take a lot longer.

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

They still need to earn credits to rank up to spend those credits though, and without the commendations to help boost them it will take a lot longer.
    Oh no, they won't have the best shiny icon next to their name!

Okay, granted, significant portions of the Halo "community" will be pissed off they can't instantly get their 5 star general icon, but beyond that, it's an insignificant worry.

xzzy on
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Has anyone else experienced heavy lag when playing campaign co-op with 3 or 4 people?

When I co-op with just one other friend it seems fine, but adding one more makes things get a little janky, and if there are four of us then sheesh, forget it.

It's annoying because I want to be excited for campaign matchmaking, but it's probably going to be the same story there.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Has anyone else experienced heavy lag when playing campaign co-op with 3 or 4 people?

When I co-op with just one other friend it seems fine, but adding one more makes things get a little janky, and if there are four of us then sheesh, forget it.

It's annoying because I want to be excited for campaign matchmaking, but it's probably going to be the same story there.

I've done it with 3 and had no problems at all.

The Burnin8or on
    edited September 2010
    The campaign netcode is slightly different from the multiplayer code.. it has some extra failsafes to make sure everyone stays in sync. It has the effect where if one person in the game is lagging, everyone feels it.

It's a lot better than it was in ODST, but can still cause problems.

The only way to avoid it is find people you know you have a decent ping to, and party with them. If you got three dudes sitting on a couch in American and the fourth guy in Australia, it's probably going to be a miserable experience for everyone.

xzzy on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm kinda wondering about Rocket Race. What maps work for it? Haemhorrage, and what else? Spire has too many narrow spaces, Boneyard suffers from a similar problem, Pinnacle has too much cover. Boardwalk might kind of work. What else is there?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    With Forge, is it possible to have an items spawn timer start after an objective is completed, i.e. have it so that a kill ball spawns at the same time a bomb explodes?

Leitner on
    edited September 2010

Okay, granted, significant portions of the Halo "community" will be pissed off they can't instantly get their 5 star general icon, but beyond that, it's an insignificant worry.

I'm not worrying, I'm pointing out that when the level cap is increased, they will discover that it's harder for them to rank up and unlock new armor to buy.

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    With Forge, is it possible to have an items spawn timer start after an objective is completed, i.e. have it so that a kill ball spawns at the same time a bomb explodes?

Only in Invasion.

FyreWulff on
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, hello there, New Thread.

Also, Fyre, that Calamus map is neat looking.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'm not worrying, I'm pointing out that when the level cap is increased, they will discover that it's harder for them to rank up and unlock new armor to buy.

Are any of the ranks after WO3 more than 66k?

Edit: With the current level cap.

joshgotro on
    edited September 2010
    joshgotro wrote: »

Are any of the ranks after WO3 more than 66k?

Edit: With the current level cap.

I can't speak for the top 3, but Major G3 to Lt.C is only 50K

Kor on