As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Places to live in Austin, TX

BuddyDoQBuddyDoQ Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I got a new job that requires relocating the family (wife and 1yr old) to Austin from Dallas, but the problem is that we don't know anything about Austin. I start in about 3 weeks, so there's not much time at all!

The first priority is finding a nice pad while we get sorted out. I'm thinking we could squeeze into a mid-to-nice 1 bedroom apartment until the wife finds a job. Does anybody have any suggestions on nice, yet affordable apartments? Rent can't be much over $600, and we really don't want to live in a run-down part of town.

I've searched online, but I'm still in Dallas and can't visit in person until next weekend.

If it helps, my new job is very near The Domain (North Austin).

Thanks!

BuddyDoQ on

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Any place near Camp Mabry would be a nice place to start out. It's not a bad part of town, it's just "old." 70's era ranch style houses, but there's a nice mix of old retired folk there along with. If you go from MoPac to Burnet, within that area there should be a nice place there to at least be a good start apartment until you get acclimated. The further you go to east, to Lamar, the more you run into hipster punks and more crime and what seemed like a wave of apathy.

I actually have a friend who lived up near the Domain, right around the Arboretum on Braker Lane, I'll ask where he lived. The apartment was nice, 1/1, and I'll ask what his price was per month. Just don't live east of I-35 for a first apartment in Austin.

(I would actually recommend near Brodie Lane, as it's a nice safe place filled with more middle class, but that's South Austin and while you have MoPac right there to take you up to The Domain, traffic can be bad; Austin was pigheaded in expanding their infrastructure until recently)

TexiKen on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I would suggest primarily searching North Austin. Driving up mopac from way south may make you want to kill yourself, but then, you do live in Dallas currently.

Good thing is, since you'd be working so far north, I think you just might be able to find a small place up there for a little over $600, like maybe the far North Lamar area(at Parmer), or farther west, around 183 and Anderson Mill. I'm in an apartment complex right around there, which is going to renew at $575 for around ~700 sq feet.

However, I think to really have some good options up north(which should be fairly new and clean places), getting up to the $650-675 range would be very helpful.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • BuddyDoQBuddyDoQ Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks! I've sent this info along to the wife, she's on the hunt as I type.

BuddyDoQ on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Around the Domain is probably going to be expensive. Like mentioned, avoid East Austin almost universally. Also, I'd try to avoid downtown and the UT area.

I'll recommend looking at one of the suburbs along with Austin. Cedar Park, Pfluegerville, or Round Rock, mostly. The drive will be a bit rough, but you may be able to find some reasonable prices. I personally live in north Round Rock (north of Austin) and commute to south Austin. It's about 25 miles and takes me around 40 minutes in the morning (~6:30) and about an hour in the afternoon (~4:00), and that's at the extreme end of a commute for this area. Cedar Park to the Domain, for example, should be pretty reasonable. Obviously, the closer you are to your job the better, but those are some additional options to consider.

Sir Carcass on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Champions Crossing Apartments is where my friend lived, and he said it was around 600 a month for a 1 bedroom/1 bath on the second floor.

The place was built in the late 80's/early 90's but always seemed safe and quiet.

TexiKen on
  • defreakdefreak Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My wife and I just moved from Austin to Dallas, you're going to love Austin, if it wasn't for a better job offer, we would still be there.

For the past 3 years we lived at Tramor at the Hills, I highly recommend it, it is about a 5 minute drive from the Domain. Map here.

Here are some reasons why I recommend it

- the office was professional and nice
    - maintenance/repair requests were almost always fulfilled the same day.
    - pet friendly complex
    - even with all the dogs around, never had any barking at night.
    - barely any college kids, mostly families and single adults.
    - they didn't rip us off when moving out, all they charged us was a light clean fee of $40, which was reasonable, considering I didn't clean the bathrooms, celing fans, and walls. The carpet was pretty much destroyed and stained from our two dogs, they didn't charge us anything because they were ripping it out and putting hardwood floors in.

Also, we eat out a lot, and there's a bunch of sit down and fast food restaurants around there so it was great for us.

defreak on
  • KotenkKotenk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BuddyDoQ wrote: »
    So I got a new job that requires relocating the family (wife and 1yr old) to Austin from Dallas, but the problem is that we don't know anything about Austin. I start in about 3 weeks, so there's not much time at all!

The first priority is finding a nice pad while we get sorted out. I'm thinking we could squeeze into a mid-to-nice 1 bedroom apartment until the wife finds a job. Does anybody have any suggestions on nice, yet affordable apartments? Rent can't be much over $600, and we really don't want to live in a run-down part of town.

I've searched online, but I'm still in Dallas and can't visit in person until next weekend.

If it helps, my new job is very near The Domain (North Austin).

Thanks!

Congrats on the job. :)

Kotenk on
  • BuddyDoQBuddyDoQ Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks Kotenk! It's one of those dream-jobs that makes all your friends a little more... friendly! Simply cannot wait to start! Ahhhhhhh! :D

BuddyDoQ on