As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Merging mkv and ac3 files in os X

SamSam Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have an mkv file, no audio and an .ac3 track. I can't find any apps to merge them, can anyone help?

Sam on

• Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't have any direct experience with this, but I wonder whether iLife could do this for you? You may just need to convert the formats to something that iMovie/garage band can deal with?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd just get access to windows or Linux and use MKVToolnix

This might also work (just googled "mkv mux mac"): http://www.emmgunn.com/mokgvm2dvd/mokgvmdownload.html

And you might consider transcoding the audio track, because that ac3 shit is seriously irritating sometimes.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I don't have any direct experience with this, but I wonder whether iLife could do this for you? You may just need to convert the formats to something that iMovie/garage band can deal with?

No way dude. Quicktime doesn't even know what MKV is and couldn't deal with AC3 last I checked. (could be changed now, but I'm used to thinking of Quicktime as being relentlessly mediocre.)

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ffmpeg should do what you need, though it has a bit of a learning curve; I use it to mux together raw video and audio streams quite often.

And quicktime has grown up a bit; if you install perian it becomes able to read mkvs quite nicely.

baudattitude on