As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Relaxing online game?

kedinikkedinik Captain of IndustryRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm a bit more stressed out than normal and it's starting to bother me.

Usually I deal with this through exercise but I have a foot injury, so that's not an option.

What's a relaxing (ideally free) online game?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
kedinik on

• Options
    wogiwogi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Minecraft- the free version.

Browse newgrounds.com for a lot of free online content.

wogi on
    http://bit.ly/runshort
    -Current W.I.P.
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Depends on your version of relaxing I guess, but DDO and LotR Online are both free now if you want an MMO to tool around in.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    I need to second Minecraft.. spring for the $14 version if you can. If you play it on easy there's still a slight element of danger (or peaceful for none at all), the music is simple but incredibly calming, and you can spend hours just shaping landscape.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LotR and Minecraft both sound good.

What's the difference between the $14 minecraft and the free version?

kedinik on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    With the free version all you get is creative mode. The $14 version give you some multiplayer options (still kind of in the works) and also survival mode, where you can play any difficulty you like (pve monsters, etc.). Also, I think once it leaves alpha that price is going to go up, so if you like it and you think you'll have interest in the monsters later you might want to spend the money now.

If you just want the building aspect, no need to pay anything.

edit: www.minecraft.net is the site. My husband and I just picked it up. Damn I'll miss him.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    peterdevore on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i would suggest world of goo but it isn't online AFAIK

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Might I suggest browsing the free MMO Uberlist in the G&T forum:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=105039

My personal favorites:

Elements
    http://www.elementsthegame.com/
    If you like collectible card games a la M:TG, then this is your new timesink.
    Very well thought-out strategy and card mechanics, respectable artwork, solid community, PvE and PvP, tournaments, and free-to-play.

Thresh Wars
    http://www.threshwars.com/
    Best way I can describe this is turn-based Starcraft.
    You purchase units for your army, and then use said units in various maps versus the AI or other players. You can play 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 3v1, 1vAI, 2vAI, 3vAI, etc.

Sword2
    http://www.gamersfirst.com/sword2/
    Gorgeous baroque art-styled MMORPG that allows you to control a team of 3 characters.
    Very relaxed - so much in fact that with an appropriately-classed 3-person party, you can simply go AFK and watch your team saw through a spawn point of enemies and rack up the XP. There's even pets that loot for you.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    wogiwogi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    LotR and Minecraft both sound good.

What's the difference between the $14 minecraft and the free version?

free version- the maps are smallish- really, its just a big lego box.
    paid version - multilayer support- crafting, exploring, and hack/slash elements are all implemented. Play it on peaceful for a while, so you can build without fear of zombies showing up and attacking you, then put it on hard and bring the fight to them! Muahahahahaha!
    That, and if you spring the 10 Eur, or 13.77 USD for the paid version, when it comes out of alpha and you want it more, you wont have to pay the 20 Eur, or 27 usd for the full version then.

wogi on
    http://bit.ly/runshort
    -Current W.I.P.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you have a Playstation, Flower is a pretty zen game.

I think it's still $9.99... may be less now.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I may get attacked for suggesting this, but... Furcadia?

Yes it's furry (although most people don't really RP as furs), but free, online, and there's no violence in it whatsoever (well unless you like free play RP.) It's basically a graphical chatroom, but with 'dreams' (player made maps, that you can upload for anyone to enter.) Definately about as 'relaxed' as a game can get.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mts wrote: »
    i would suggest world of goo but it isn't online AFAIK

Yeah I'd second WoG if you don't mind singleplayer. It was pretty much widely regarded as one of the bets indie games of the year when it released.

There is a mode where you simply use your up-to 300 Goo balls to make the largest tower you possibly can. If you take it online you can see clouds representing other players from other countries, and where their towers stand.

Other than than, Bookworm Adventures Deluxe is cheap, relaxing and has a bit of scrabble to it.

subedii on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Minecraft has its hooks in me, it's perfect.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

kedinik on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    Minecraft has its hooks in me, it's perfect.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Just be careful!

I bought it yesterday... I have a not insignificant assignment due at 8am tommorow morning and am finding myself very distracted thinking about my sky scraper island and its glass tunnel in the sky towards land. Must build!

Wezoin on