As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resume Assistance

jedikuonjijedikuonji Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm seeking some advice on how to list my US Navy experience on a resume. I was in for 7 and a half years and served at three bases. Should I list my experience as one block of employment or would it be better to break it up by location? Or is there perhaps some other way I'm not seeing?

The other issue I'm having is what to put for my job title during my time. I had multiple job titles over the course of my service, but the last one (work center supervisor) is the most relevant despite my only having it for the last 2 years of service. Assuming I list my experience as 1 job, would it be right to use that title when describing my military time?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

jedikuonji on

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Break it up by job title. It makes military experience take up more of the page and you really want to highlight that as most employers correlate "military service" with "ability to not fuck shit up".

Also, avoid acronyms. You may be very proud of your time "Supervising the MPSD distribution of LOLZMV in a MSKAJKSJS environment, but I have no idea what the fuck that means.

Deebaser on
  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    www.manager-tools.com have a great resume podcast episode and even have a sample resume which is 100% military service.

Your Resume Stinks!

Sample Resume

Serpent on