As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gurt makes a 3D art thread (Now in 2D!)

GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hey, guys! Wow, I haven't posted my own thread here since freshmen year of college (which I am now a senior so that's about 2-3 years now)

Just a little about myself, I am a senior BFA student enrolled in a Production Animation degree program over at DigiPen Institute of Technology. So while I've been focusing in my earlier years on becoming an animator, I decided to move away from that and concentrate on 3D modeling for about 2 years now - sculpting/texturing characters to be specific. I work in Zbrush, Maya, 3ds Max, Topogun, and Photoshop primarily. I really want to go into the video game field and make fun 3D models for people to enjoy/be animated by someone better than myself.

I'm going to show a few of my most recent finished projects and then hopefully keep this thread going with lots of WIPs of sculpts to show. If enough people are interested (and I figure out how) I could do some quick Zbrush tutorials and how-to's for artists new to it.

3d1.jpg

This was a render from zbrush of a hi-resolution creature sculpt I did over the summer. I did an internship with a Canadian company up in Toronto and this was one of the creatures, the male Kraken, I made for it.

3d2.jpg

This isn't a full render of it, but this is just an example of what I normally do. After modeling it really hi-poly into Zbrush, I can export all that nice sculpting information and export it onto a lower resolution mesh. I think that section of him was only about 300-400 tris.

nunarender01copy.jpg

This was a sculpt I had done in zbrush towards the beginning of the year. The concept was one of my own back when I was working on a student game. The game never ended up being made, but I was happy with it at the time. This was also my first time experimenting with textures directly in zbrush.

vanepreview02.jpg

vanepreview0.jpg

Few of you might remember this. I modeled one of our own squidbunnies concepts. I really liked it and it was fun to make. The body still isn't completed, as well as the props, but SOMEDAY I will finish this because she is an awesome character.

GurtPerk on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Now I want to focus this for WIP sculpts. This one I'm about to show is one I'm doing as part of an art test for ArenaNet. If I land the gig, it would take place over this next year and I'd be an art intern there. I'm really super excited about this one and I'm also kind of half-assing all my other schoolwork to focus on it, haha.

The concept is a crab (made by one of my favorite cocnept artists over there Matt Barrett) which I was totally excited to do anyways. Here is the concept:

arenanetcreaturetestcra.jpg

So when I look at this concept and I want to translate this it into 3D, I normally try and break it down into its large forms first - like you'd do normally while life drawing. Once I better understand my forms, I recreate those shapes in 3D as demonstrated in this picture.

processstep1.jpg

I blocked out the shell's overall silhouette, as well as began to create parts for the various limbs. Each individual part is made from zspheres - the building block in zbrush that allows you quickly create nice clean geometry in seconds. This way, I also get a quick start to how the subject will look as a whole and make changes as needed.

crabpreview04.jpg

Then, the fun part - sculpting. I don't go too crazy yet with any of the surface details. I'm trying to break down the forms more and begin carving into my geometry. Since the forms I blocked in were rather large and smooth, I used a combination of the clay brush and the trim dynamic brush to carve away and mimic a more hard surface for the shell.

I also try to utilize as much as I can the masking tool. Masking can really help you out and it's a great first and last step to getting the forms you need. For example - where the shell intersects with the joints on the claw arm, I masked those joints and actually carved into them, seperating the two elements.

The next step is retopology. Retopology is simply the act of taking something that is hi-poly and making an envelope around it that is lower in resolution. Think of it much like how a glove fits over your hand, where your hand is what you sculpted and the glove is your new 3D mesh.

clawretopexample.jpg

Since this is for a game, certain parameters are in order. I can only make this claw a certain amount of polys without going over. This is great because when I retopologize, I can control how many verts I want in a single area. It's a very intuitive way of modeling in my opinion and highly effective.

What I'll do now is take that retopologized mesh and unwrap it so I can put textures on it in zbrush. That's where I'll go crazy on the surface details because zbrush can actually capture all those details you sculpt after its unwrapped and place it inside a texture space.

Feel free to comment or ask questions. If all of this is too much or want to explain any part, I'd be more than happy to. After all, I'm still learning myself but this has been a fairly quick and highly effective way to going about making next generation models/textures on reasonably low-poly models.

I'll keep this thread updated. The due date for the crab is the 12th so expect a lot of updates from here until then.

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know very little about 3D so all's I can say is the crab is looking really sweet, and GL, man! That'd be awesome.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    e2dbe2db Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Having used 3ds max exclusively, going into zbrush was a very confusing experience for me and I ended up running away. So I personally would enjoy some tutorial love(if you figure out how to). :)

e2db on
    parobsig.jpg
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Raaad. You oughta try to do some super low-poly models. See just how low-res you can go with that retopo.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Raaad. You oughta try to do some super low-poly models. See just how low-res you can go with that retopo.

Funny you mentioned that, I did a proxy model a while back (which is exactly what you mentioned, just a super low-res model usually used for testing rigs/animations.)

proxyexample.jpg

It was original a test for something that would be seen in an RTS where the polycount is pretty low due to the nature of the gameplay. This was just about 500 tris, with majority of the density being in the face and hands. And even then, they were also pretty optimized.

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    this here is what I would call pretty dang cool

Tam on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Your little 2 legged beastie in the OP reminds me of Tremors 2

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    crabpreview05.jpg

More crab previews. All modeled and unwrapped, under 5000 tris. Yay! Details - soon!

@EW: Haha, yeah, I saw that movie fairly recently. Crazy stuff.

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Woot - So I've been cranking some serious hours into this guy. I got everything finished in zbrush, now taking it all into Photoshop and messing with the textures.

Here's a few previews so far:

This is the crab's shell.

crabpreview07.jpg

crabpreview06.jpg

crabpreview08.jpg

I just recently got the claw in there. These aren't finished textures quite yet, but pretty close so far.

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mantaray crab!

Tam on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    lol it so is.

crabpreview11.jpg

Latest progress on senor crab. I think I might sit on until monday before tweaking it any further.

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nice stuff in here, dude.

Good luck in the competition, I be there are going to be some real nice entries.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The deadline hit tonight and, even though I got kind of reamed with schoolwork in segments, I'm happy with how it came out.

Since the renders themselves were aligned more horizontally to fit, I'm going to hyperlink them so it doesn't bust the page width here.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6640/gerrittperkinsrender01.jpg

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7949/gerrittperkinsrender02.jpg

The objective was to get a hand painted look to the textures - which for a while I think I was neglecting in the earlier stuff, but I gotta say I like it better this way.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated on the next project. Hopefully that one I'll have a little more than two weeks to do.

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    OMG 2D STUFF. PREPARE YOURSELF.

Actually I had quite a bit of fun on these. These are a couple pre-production paintings I'm doing for some upoming 3D projects:

devilcomps04.jpg

quadcomp03.jpg

GurtPerk on