As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer reboots before posting

mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
My computer has done this every once in a while, but usually after a couple of reboots, it starts up.

Now, though, it reboots continuously. The fans go on full blast (which is normal) but then instead of posting, it powers down and starts back up. Sometimes, it will actually load Windows but then either freeze or reboot after a few minutes.

Components:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6
Processor: Some Core 2 Duo version (2.4 GHz I think)
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850W
GPU: Nvidia 8800GT
RAM: 8Gb (4x2Gb) Corsair XMS2 DDR2
WD2500YS hard drive (SATA)
Plextor PX-755SA DVD+R drive (SATA)

This behavior seems to manifest with just about any combination of things plugged in. I didn't try unplugging the DVD drive. I'm currently in the process of switching the PSU for another one to see whether that solves anything.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

mrflippy on

• ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Not a computer expert but totally trying to put my knowledge to the test here... a short?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When I first read the title I thought the computer would reboot when you tried to post on the forums.

Arrath on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, I took the machine apart completely, and reassembled it, and it booted up fine the first time and has been working without issue for about 15 minutes now.

Still no idea what was wrong with it :?

Edit: Nope, just rebooted. Ugh, I was really hoping there.

mrflippy on
    edited October 2010
    Well, its either the PSU, HDD, MOBO, RAM, or CPU. Odds are it isn't your optical.

Improvolone on
  • The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've had this happen to me before, it sounds like you might have a dead motherboard.

The Rocking M on
  • ThrackThrack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, its either the PSU, HDD, MOBO, RAM, or CPU. Odds are it isn't your optical.

Pretty much this. My PC refuses to POST is my ipod is plugged in. Computers are weird.
    I would start with checking the memory.

Thrack on
    edited October 2010
    Well, I was going to swap out the power supply with my file server, but now the file server's power supply seems to be going bad as well. When it rains it pours I guess. :(

Would bad power in my apartment cause issues like this? How would I check something like that?

mrflippy on
    edited October 2010
    Use a multimeter to see if you have consistent voltage. The reading shouldn't fluctuate that much.

Improvolone on
    edited October 2010
    Use a multimeter to see if you have consistent voltage. The reading shouldn't fluctuate that much.

I don't have one of those. How would I use one if I buy one? Just stick the leads into the wall socket?

Also, swapped out the video card, and it's still doing the reboot cycle, so it's probably not that.

Edit: Huh, even does the reboot cycle with no memory inserted.

mrflippy on
    edited October 2010
    Yup, one prong in each slot. Make sure you have it set to measure voltage. If you get a negative number, you just have the prongs reversed (but the number is still valid, just negative)

Improvolone on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Thrack wrote: »

Pretty much this. My PC refuses to POST is my ipod is plugged in. Computers are weird.
    I would start with checking the memory.

I had this issue with a Gigabyte motherboard and a 1TB external drive. When it was left plugged in the computer refused to POST. Eventually I found an option in the BIOS that was something along the lines of "enable USB mass storage" which when unticked caused me to be able to leave the external on when the computer was off and it would still start up.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like a dead mobo or CPU, but I'd recommend resetting the BIOS before you junk them. I've been suprised in the past when a completely dead MOBO has come back to life upon a BIOS reset.

Deicist on
    edited October 2010
    I'm not really clear on what you guys mean by "dead motherboard". I mean, the thing still works, just not reliably.

It's been up all day today, after I reseated everything. I should probably update the BIOS too. I haven't done that in quite a while.

mrflippy on
  • SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Had this problem with the same mobo not long ago

Turned out RAM slots 0 and 2 were dead. Installing in only 1 and 3 solved the issue

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The inconsistent restart times kinda make me think it's not this, but as it's not too hard to check, I might as well bring it up.

I once had a very similar problem with a machine when working as a tech at a high school. We tried swapping out the PSU and RAM, but neither seemed to be the problem. We replaced the mother board, and that seemed to work... for a week anyway. Then it presented itself with the exact same problem.

One day when I had the machine in the office, not hooked up to anything, I mindlessly went to press the power button while researching something (I like to fiddle with things, tap on tables, stuff like that). I went to hit it, but something was amiss... when it depressed, it didn't have the resistance it should have. I took the front of the case off, and sure enough, the power button was sticking. A light knock unstuck it, and it didn't seem to catch again for a few presses, but eventually it ended up sticking once pressed, causing the machine to reboot if you tried to turn it on.

Trentus on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    On one hand, I want to help. On the other, if I do, you will just kill me more in TF2. When this happened to me, I reset the BIOS. That worked for a while. It's only when I swapped out the RAM, a la spudge, that the problem went away. You might want to try switching the slots.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
    edited October 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »
    On one hand, I want to help. On the other, if I do, you will just kill me more in TF2. When this happened to me, I reset the BIOS. That worked for a while. It's only when I swapped out the RAM, a la spudge, that the problem went away. You might want to try switching the slots.

Yeah, I actually did switch from using slot 1 to using slot 2.

What's bothering me is that immediately after I did that, the problem behavior still occurred, but then, suddenly, it started working, and has worked ever since.

So I have no idea what's wrong with it, but it seems to be stable for now. :?

mrflippy on