As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D Essentials-IC Thread] The Haunted Keep

2»

• Options
    arcadianarcadian Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    With Hagen and Eldeth standing by, Merric begins a recon of the area.

Berrian studies the ruin. The Eladrin can see no openings, portals, windows, or arrow slits of any kind on the ruin's facade from his vantage point. The gatehouse looks to be about ten feet tall, the flanking towers irregular tops 20 to 25 feet high. He can also see the Keep was once part of a bigger compound, judging from the outlines of walls still visible on the hilltop. It was perhaps a central part of the former castle, although the towers must have been much taller in their prime.

Quinn boldly strides beneath the arch, onto a weed choked cobble path that divides the gatehouse into two parts. Past the crumbling arch, the path is exposed to the sky above.

Halfway down the path, Quinn can see two pairs of closed double wooden doors, each opposite the other, that give entrance to each half of the gatehouse. The doors are stained with age and rust, but look sturdy set within the recess of the thick gatehouse walls. The doors each have a large lock and keyhole; Quinn also can see, in the masonry in front of the doors, a series of 10 small holes that have been drilled into the stone. The holes each contain a black iron bar that rest beneath the surface of the ground.

Merric meanwhile, creeps quietly around the perimeter of the ruin. The thief sees and hears no threats; in fact, there are no places atop the barren hill for danger to lurk. The halfling does see two doors, one each on the south side of each tower. The closed doors here are ancient looking, heavy, set into thick walls and have large keyholes.

In addition, Merric can spy no recent evidence or track that anyone (or thing) has been walking around the ruin.

Updated map:
    Black lines indicate doors:

osblue2.png

arcadian on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Merric

"Well guys it looks clear over here" Merric says as he returns to the group. "There are a couple of doors that don't look like they've seen any use in a long while."

smokmnky on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Eldeth

"So, not what we're looking for?"

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Berrian

"Well said. They may be worth investigation at another time, though. Let us take - actually, let us get closer, first, our talented investigator may be able to spy recent tracks into one gatehouse door or the other."

So saying, Berrian strides toward the arch. He will pause just before crossing the area in-between the door gatehouse doors, if nothing stops him first.

ronrab on
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hagen

"It seems unlikely they just vanished without a trace...at the very least there may be some clue within the ruins of the towers. I might suggest loosing a weapon and readying a spell or two, this place just feels wrong."

Taking a hand and resting it on the pommel of his mace, he follows after the mage.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Merric

"So you are saying you want me to risk my neck and check out the doors over there?" Merric says as he points towards the gatehouse.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The DM sez:
    Just reposting the map with coordinates this time to help navigation. The map is pulled out pretty far, but this may aid in describing to each other where you all want to go.

osblue2-1.png

arcadian on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Berrian:

"If you'd prefer you can risk your neck by wandering with us into the wrong building at random," Berrian says mildly. "The idea is to find where we need to go as swiftly as possible, get what we came for, and get out to enjoy a large sum of gold. Of course, if you object to this plan...?"

Berrian is moving to I28 unless something interrupts him on the way.

ronrab on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Merric

"Fine, fine" says the halfling "I'll go be your meat shield."
    Stealth: 1d20+5 15 - off the check out the west barracks door

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Merric moves steathily toward the path between the gatehouse, with Berrian and Hagen close by.

The halfling studies the doors, but finds them both nearly identical: both old looking but quite solid; both with the strange recessed iron bars set into the masonry, each with a large lock and keyhole.

This, and silence are all that the halfling can discern from his inspections of the portal.

Map-now with tokens!

By the way, I goofed on my larger view of the map. Since the map is oriented south (at the top), the left side is actually east and the right west. Sorry to be so confusing-I've corrected it for future mapage.

Anyway-here are the positions of those who have ventured forth so far...

os3.png

arcadian on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aren't I there already? Or have I moved into the courtyard?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Eldeth moves towards the party.

"It's a door. You turn the handle and they open."

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    @delroland: I assumed that everyone had rehuddled away from the gatehouse to touch base. Everyone is now by the door.

arcadian on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Berrian claps his hands together. "Well, then! I shall apply my unequaled intellect to the riddle of choosing between these seemingly identical doors," he says briskly.

He holds out his hand, and a shimmering silver coin - obviously unreal -winks into appearance in it. He flips it in the air, then deftly catches it in his hand. He glances at his palm.

"Left," he says wisely, before striding to the door at H26 and attempting to open it.

ronrab on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Merric

"Well aint you just the fancy lad." Merric mumbles.

He then slinks back into the shadows to see what horrors await the cocky mage
    I'd like to continue to stay in stealth and move to g27 so that when Berrian gets skewered I'm still hidden

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hagen

"Kord looks highly upon those who show such bravery, still I'll be a step behind you, should anything unexpected occur."

Moving to H28

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    With Merric hidden, Berrian pushes the double doors open. The aged hinges shriek in protest as the doors swing inward.

Within, daylight from the doors floods the chamber to reveal a hall 55 feet long. The hall is windowless, but light also streams in from a hole in the ceiling, giving the party enough illumination to see the interior clearly. The walls and floor are made of the same granite that makes up the keep. Dust and some light debris are all that remain of the room's past days; the room is otherwise bare-except for the statue.

In the center of the room, facing the party is a six foot tall stone statue of an armored human male. The figure stands stiffly erect; in its left hand, held close to its torso is a tall shield.

The figure's right arm is held close to its side until the elbow, its forearm and hand extended forward. In this hand is held a mace.

Curiously, you note, the shield and mace are metal, not stone like the statue that holds them.

At the opposite end of the hall are another pair of double doors that seem nearly identical in style and age like the ones Berrian just opened.

Map:
    os3-1.png

arcadian on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Berrian

"Intriguing, but unless proven otherwise, it seems irrelevant to our current task. Shall we head directly for the double doors, or try our luck on the other gatehouse behind us?"

Many thanks on the new map, btw. Not having the letters and numbers lined up with the squares was giving me the heebie-jeebies.

ronrab on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Merric

Merric moves forward to examine the mace and shield.

"Well they look ok don't they?" he says
    Stealth: 1d20+9 21

smokmnky on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    QUINN frowns at Berrian, gesturing at the statue as he enters the room. "This warrior was important to the builders of this keep. It is disrespectful to dismiss his importance so quickly." Quinn moves closer to the statue, enough to get a better look but giving Merric wide enough berth with which to work.

Quinn moves two squares southeast, then three squares east (to H23), then examines the statue from a distance.
    History, Perception on statue: 1d20-1 14 1d20 14

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Berrian shakes his head in bemusement. "Very well, poke and prod if you must. I will watch for any uninvited company."

ronrab on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hagen

"Hmm..." Hagen wonders a loud, "Given it's prominence in the room, it must have some importance."

Moving to I21 to study the statue for any religious significance
    Religion on Statue: 1d20+4 = 13

bleh to that roll...

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Crickets

smokmnky on