As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[X-Men], now saving the city on XBLA and PSN

• Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cool, thanks Bullio! You can hear quite a few new clips in there, I wonder if that opening narration is really what they're going to use or if that was exclusive to the trailer (like the music as well, I assume, unless it's used for menus or something). The "welcome to die" they play is a fairly good imitation, at least.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cool, thanks Bullio! You can hear quite a few new clips in there, I wonder if that opening narration is really what they're going to use or if that was exclusive to the trailer (like the music as well, I assume, unless it's used for menus or something). The "welcome to die" they play is a fairly good imitation, at least.

No problem. I think the voices in the trailer are the originals and not the new ones. Xavier's voice doesn't sound anything like the new one from the IGN video. I didn't play them back to back with another vid, but they do sound exactly the same as the old ones to me.

The intro narration is from the intro sequence after starting a new game, so that will still be there. The voice may be different in the new version, though. The music is a remixed version of the pre-new game intro sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV9go-o9D3s

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does her light have any concussive force, a la the optic blast?

They should really just do a palette swap with Jubilee.
    Not like people wrote Jubilee's powers any more consistently. Sometimes she was a walking fusion bomb, sometimes she made pretty lights.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ah, good catch, I did notice it was a remix of the original title theme (it's pretty cool!). That's interesting if they're mixing the original voices and new ones in their videos, the "go and save the city" does sound a lot more like the original than the clip of Xavier from the IGN preview like you noted.

I guess that's just a fluke on their part? I wish I knew the legal reasons behind the switch (if there are any), I can't even find credits for the original voice actors!

And wow, that clip of the intro is so weak, I hope Konami's emulation/port is better. Compare that to this recorded version from the arcade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GzSQ6um6rY

I might be crazy, but that sounds a lot more like how I remember it (don't judge me, I played it on a 4P cabinet in 2009!) and just better overall. From the clips of music I've been able to make out in the new IGN video preview, though, it seems Konami's doing it right!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It doesn't make sense why they did it with wires at all. It should have had the dip switch/credits per play setting. I mean did it have the 1p/2p buttons?

Anyway everyone knows nightcrawler is always the best.
    It's possible the machine owners didn't know how to set free play, so they just did it the easy way and unlocked the coin door. It might also be possible that this particular game didn't have a free play switch.

forty on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The more I read, the more I think it didn't have a freeplay option:

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Arcade_Manuals_and_Schematics/X-Men_%286%20player%29.pdf

There's nothing like that mentioned in the manual. And I remember at SGC 2009 to get "freeplay" they left the coin door open and let people trigger the coin switch manually. If there's a freeplay option, it's not obvious to get to that's for sure.

EDIT - Looks like the 4P version had freeplay available:

http://www.crazykong.com/manuals/Xmen.man.pdf

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I believe Colossus' special attack in the game is based on the energy released when he changes between forms. I'm pretty sure if you look closely (from what I remember) he changes back and forth rapidly while the explosion occurs.

I can't find the issue number online, but there's a bone claw Wolverine/young Magneto era comic where Colossus is in the Acolytes and suffering from a severe head wound that he's staying in metal form to avoid suffering from. They think it might be affecting his judgment, so the X-Men and Excalibur kidnap him and use Cyclops' optic blasts to perform surgery on his head, with Jean (I think?) using her powers to focus the beam.

Wacky, I know. Anyways, when he transforms back to normal after being in that form for like a week, he emits a huge blast of energy, and Kitty phasing is the only thing that's left standing for like twenty feet around him.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    EDIT - Looks like the 4P version had freeplay available:

http://www.crazykong.com/manuals/Xmen.man.pdf
    Odd. The second representation of the Coin Options screen has "FREE PLAY" displayed, but the instructions themselves don't mention it at all. It only discusses the PREMIUM START options. I wonder if that "FREE PLAY" is an error in the manual.

forty on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Nightcrawler is always the best. At least, he was the best for me as a kid with limited quarters, since it was easier to keep him alive by just jump-kicking back and forth until everything was dead.

No sorry the best is still Colossus because of his mutant power

His mutant power made no sense!

Actually Nightcrawler's didn't really make any sense either. Turning glowy for a few seconds and running around really fast?

That's why I liked the Genesis X-Men 2; Nightcrawler had super-useful teleporting that you could use whenever you wanted.

loved this game

valiance on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    did anyone play this arcade game and have the glitch that let wolverine play forever? The machine we used, all wolverine had to do was hit the start button and he got to keep playing.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh god oh god Oh god oh god Oh god oh god Oh god oh god Oh god oh god

This is amazing news, the amount of money I put into this game back in my arcade days is scary to think about. After school my mom would just take my brother and I there to play for hours on end some Fridays.

And everyone that hates on Cyclops just couldn't handle him :P

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sometimes i am sad that I only own a wii.

sometimes.

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    did anyone play this arcade game and have the glitch that let wolverine play forever? The machine we used, all wolverine had to do was hit the start button and he got to keep playing.
    That's just his mutant regeneration in effect, is all.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That was probably the arcade employee's line of thinking as well.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Release dates and pricing. 12/14 for PSN, $10. XBLA 12/15, 800 pts. Europe will see the XBLA getting it 2 months before PSN does, but no specific date has been announced yet.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, first XBL title I've bought in a long time.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wait, it's out?

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Now it is. On PSN.

Xbox tomorrow.

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm like 40 space bucks short......

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Got to spend some quality time with the XBLA version today. The game's still quite fun, and just as ridiculous, after all these years. The new voices are spot on and won't detract from the experience at all. One thing I noticed that was not mentioned in any of the previews was the ability to switch between the 4 and 6 player versions of the game. The 6 player version is widescreen, while the 4 player version is 4:3. However, you can adjust the size of the picture, so if you want to remove the border HUD completely you can do so. You can also choose to have the HP/score HUD display inside the game area, so you could make the game fullscreen without any borders and still have all of the info visible if you want. You can turn off the "smoothing" filter for graphics, and you can turn on a playthrough timer (helpful for one of the achievements) that displays the length of your current playthrough on the screen. The attention to and ability to adjust little details like these are really appreciated, and really are more than I was expecting. Overall it's a very well done port in that the game itself is left unchanged (aside from the voices, which they had no choice but to redo and the new ones are perfectly fine), but adds more in options/customization than you'd expect. The new HD menu artwork is well done and looks great as well.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just bought. Anyone want to play? Gamertag: judas fn priest

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Man, things get crazy on expert with 6 people. Crazy in a totally good way. My mind was boggled a bit by the number of dudes on the screen. The combo of higher difficulty and more players seems to affect how much damage bosses take, as well. No 3 shotting Pyro with powers.

Has anyone played online with the Japanese version yet? I did a run through the 4 player version solo and the first 2 levels of the 6 player version solo and never had an energy pick up drop. Do these only drop in multiplayer games?

I kind of wish there was more creativity behind the achievements, but I'm not really one to gripe about easy achievements. I'm not sure just how creative they really could have been with this game, but it is kind of sad that you could theoretically get all but one achievement in one playthrough. The 25 minute run one is going to be a pain in the ass. I have an idea of how to do it (Japanese version, Nightcrawler, spam power/die/repeat), but I think it's still going to be close.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've heard about the Japanese version playing differently, which leaves me wondering if that's the difference, or is it in actual Japanese, too?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    As far as I know, the capsules only show up if your in multiplayer.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Unlimited continues makes me feel like the richest kid in the arcade.

Go ahead, cheapshot me. I'll be back.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I've heard about the Japanese version playing differently, which leaves me wondering if that's the difference, or is it in actual Japanese, too?

It does seem to play a bit differently. Aside from the drops and the way power consumption works, the game feels a bit easier. For instance, it's really difficult to trap end bosses in the corner and wail on them until they die in the American version, but it's really easy to do in the Japanese version. They don't get as many cheap shots in on you either. You can also seemingly break enemy attack strings, and your character will do their area clearing/backward attack more often if they're swarmed. Basically, the AI is dumbed down a bit and isn't as cheap.

The Japanese version has all of the American sound and voices. However, there are Japanese subtitles that are displayed during cutscene voice overs.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I didn't even realize X-Men arcade was yet another case of the Japanese fucking over Americans with a nerfed port.

forty on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bought and played the shit outta ths last night, really damned fun.

Fuck the smoothing option!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    gnodabgnodab Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This has been my online experience so far:

Colossus: HAAAARRRRGGH
    *takes one point of damage*
    Colossus: AUUUGH

Announcer: COLOSSUS

gnodab on
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    gnodab wrote: »
    This has been my online experience so far:

*takes one point of damage*
    Colossus: AUUUGH

Announcer: COLOSSUS

:lol:

I played a 6 person game, and it turned into basically a mutant power fest. We moved quickly, but there wasn't much in the way of actual punching and kicking.

Also, someone pressed a button to skip the Mystique cut scene, so I didn't get the achievement for that :( .

Valleo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Did you reach through the intertrons to kill him?

deowolf on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, with infinite continues, I have a hard time imagining multiplayer being anything but mutant power spam.

forty on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's not so bad with mobs of fodder, but boss fights do tend to turn into power spam fests. Not much of a departure from the arcade days, really.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    deowolf wrote: »

The what now?
    Bullio wrote: »
    It's not so bad with mobs of fodder, but boss fights do tend to turn into power spam fests. Not much of a departure from the arcade days, really.

When you're pumping quarters into a machine you tend to be a little less reckless, and using your mutant power when your HP bar is higher than 3 eats your HP up. So no, in the arcades, my friends and I weren't often spamming our mutant powers. Plus, you didn't find mutant power orbs lying around.

When I played in that 6 man game, it was the JP version we were playing. None of that applies.

Valleo on
  • Options
    gnodabgnodab Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Valleo wrote: »
    When you're pumping quarters into a machine you tend to be a little less reckless, and using your mutant power when your HP bar is higher than 3 eats your HP up. So no, in the arcades, my friends and I weren't often spamming our mutant powers. Plus, you didn't find mutant power orbs lying around.

When I played in that 6 man game, it was the JP version we were playing. None of that applies.

The JP version seems a little broken. If I'm not mistaken, every time someone continues, all players get an extra mutant power.

I kind of wish they would have implemented a respawn timer or something like that if someone just spammed their powers away or if they're dying repeatedly.

gnodab on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    gnodab wrote: »

The JP version seems a little broken. If I'm not mistaken, every time someone continues, all players get an extra mutant power.
    I kind of wish they would have implemented a respawn timer or something like that if someone just spammed their powers away or if they're dying repeatedly.

I thought so. At one point I had accumulated 7, and had no idea why.

Valleo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    deowolf wrote: »

The what now?

Look, it's a just a series of tubes.

deowolf on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    forty wrote: »
    I didn't even realize X-Men arcade was yet another case of the Japanese fucking over Americans with a nerfed port.
    I wonder if they thought they could get away with more bullshit in the US because of how big the X-Men were over there. They were probably right if so.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    When an American release of a game is nerfed, doesn't that usually mean it has the hard difficulty removed and less bullshit on the CPU's part? Or is it different between console and arcade games?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    New voice actors: -5

Infinite continue: +1000

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve