As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2010 Midterm Elections, or: Barnum Was Right

GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, ProbablyWatertown, WIRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Welcome to the latest edition of the midterm thread. Here's the link to 538.

Basically, America is sick and tired of everybody, as can be witnessed by what is set to be a third consecutive wave election, the parties splitting the 2006-10 elections 2-1. '06 and '08 to the Dems, '10 to the GOP. The voters, far as I can tell, are either despairing to the point where they've cut out of the process, or are so utterly pissed off that they can't even vote straight and are susceptible to being misled by anyone with sufficient charisma that will tell them what they want to hear whether or not these things are actually true, not unlike a snake oil salesman from the early 1900's.

They're pissed, they're desperate, they're pretty much willing to vote for anyone or anything that will actually fix shit to a degree they will notice.

However, the message at the polls is set to be garbled to the point where it comes out as "We would like to be led by the craziest people available, and the more they can screech and poop on everything as though they were a group of howler monkeys, the better." Which... yeah. It's a train that's jumped the tracks and is set to crash into a hospital full of orphan babies in about three weeks. Fun!

So how does one keep the train from crashing into the orphan baby hospital, or at least veer it into a non-baby-intensive section of same? If you can campaign, do that. If you can donate funds to a campaign, do that. Failing that, here's a start:

i-voted-sticker.gif

This is an I Voted sticker. They give these out when you go to the polls; this design is the one you get at my precinct and the one we used here in 2008 when we did this same thing.

When you cast your general-election vote, I want you to make this sticker- or another one you happen to like better- your new avatar until Election Day. For many of you, you can do this now through early voting. By the time the polls close, the only people that should NOT be sporting these stickers are those who are too young to vote and those who are not US citizens.

You will notice I am sporting a similar sticker myself- again, the one I used for myself in '08.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
Gosling on

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    God bless the American public!

EDIT: By the way, my official prediction is that the Republicans blow this in the last two weeks. Dems retain enough control to keep Pelosi as Speaker, but not the votes to pass anything and maintain a several seat majority in the Senate (~53-47 with Sanders/Lieberman).

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I would like to make statement: I think there is a non-zero chance that Lisa Murkowski might switch parties if she wins re-election. The bad blood between her and Palin, couple with the shitty way the Senate Leadership has treated her. Might be enough to make her do the aisle crossing.

Not extremely likely, but not completly out of the realm of the possible. I give it 15% chance. Max.

If it does happen I give Liberman a 75% chance of switching to the GOP. Because he is just that kind of asshole.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I hope Lieberman does switch; he basically is one anyway, and with a switch the Democrats will finally treat him like one.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010

EDIT: By the way, my official prediction is that the Republicans blow this in the last two weeks. Dems retain enough control to keep Pelosi as Speaker, but not the votes to pass anything and maintain a several seat majority in the Senate (~53-47 with Sanders/Lieberman).

Dems keeping the house? Which democrats and which house of representatives are we talking about? I realize any polls and statistics are poor estimates are this point because of the particulars of the election, but do you see any factors that would not be represented in the data?

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »
    I hope Lieberman does switch; he basically is one anyway, and with a switch the Democrats will finally treat him like one.

He won't do that because it'd reduce his power in the Senate significantly.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kastanj wrote: »

Dems keeping the house? Which democrats and which house of representatives are we talking about? I realize any polls and statistics are poor estimates are this point because of the particulars of the election, but do you see any factors that would not be represented in the data?
    Well, I personally think there's quite a bit of missampling going on this cycle. The likely voter model, while I'll grant that it should skew Republican compared to registered, is completely out of whack across a lot of polls. Some of these races that look like blowouts will probably turn out to be much, much closer at the very least. There's also the undersampling due to cell phone usage and skewing toward conventional wisdom problems that are still there from '08.

Combine that with the fact that practically every high profile Republican candidate for national office this year is a walking October Surprise, and we will probably be seeing some fireworks in the last weeks of October. They're not all O'Donnell crazy, but it's a pretty impressive pack of whackjobs this cycle.

At the very least I don't think this will be the rout that everyone in the media is hoping for.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »

He won't do that because it'd reduce his power in the Senate significantly.

If it comes down to a 50-50 split, I would significantly up the chances of Lieberman going over. Especially if the GOP guarantees his position for the next two years. Its not like he has a snowballs chance of a re-election.

One final fuck you to the dems is what he lives for.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So is there any other instance in recorded history where a once-legitimate political party went completely off the deep end like this?

MKR on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    So is there any other instance in recorded history where a once-legitimate political party went completely off the deep end like this?
    I think the short answer is that there haven't really been parties that existed for as long as our current two, so it's hard to find a direct parallel.

While researching that answer, I found out that the Whigs kicked back off in '08.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Late to the party, but it looks like the Coon-O'Donnell debate shows what happens when you do a little bit of preparation and your opponent is a parrot (and overly defensive about being a witch).

Tomanta on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Question: How close are the Dems to losing the House and Senate? I know it's close, but is there a possibility of at least retaining a slim majority in both should they score points in the next couple weeks?

oldmanken on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Late to the party, but it looks like the Coon-O'Donnell debate shows what happens when you do a little bit of preparation and your opponent is a parrot (and overly defensive about being a witch).

She studied SCOTUS law under Palin it seems

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

She studied SCOTUS law under Palin it seems

"What Supreme Court decisions do you disagree with?"
    "Oh, all of them."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Politico.com is like the NRO anymore.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Question: How close are the Dems to losing the House and Senate? I know it's close, but is there a possibility of at least retaining a slim majority in both should they score points in the next couple weeks?

Loss of the Senate is pretty unlikely, loss of the House is fairly likely. Honestly, a split congress is a decent outcome, but would be much, much better if the Democratic caucus wasn't so ideologically spread out such that we could give the Republicans a taste of their own obstructionist medicine.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can't even fathom that Burr is almost a lock for re-election. This guy was the one who personally held up the nomination for the VA, while representing a state with seven military bases, from the south (kind of a pro-troop thing, ya know?)

I guess once they're too banged up to die for their country, they don't really count anymore.

Seriously, fuck Dick Burr.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tox wrote: »
    I can't even fathom that Burr is almost a lock for re-election. This guy was the one who personally held up the nomination for the VA, while representing a state with seven military bases, from the south (kind of a pro-troop thing, ya know?)

I guess once they're too banged up to die for their country, they don't really count anymore.

The thing is, I guarantee you no one in his state has any idea that he did that.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Tox wrote: »

The thing is, I guarantee you no one in his state has any idea that he did that.

Oh, absolutely. They're too busy worrying about Obama's secret muslim plot to give all our jobs to the illegals.

I listen to conservative talk radio. I happen to think the morning show is the best morning show on (if I'm not going to get music, I might as well get news).

People calling in tend to make me want to ram my truck into oncoming traffic because of how stupid they are.

Tox on
  • Options
    ImperiusVImperiusV Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My explanation: Burr has a lot more money than Marshall, his challenger. I forgot how much, but something like 6 million to her million.

ImperiusV on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It doesn't help that NC has gone back to being pretty conservative since Obama's election.

Tox on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Loss of the Senate is pretty unlikely, loss of the House is fairly likely. Honestly, a split congress is a decent outcome, but would be much, much better if the Democratic caucus wasn't so ideologically spread out such that we could give the Republicans a taste of their own obstructionist medicine.

Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus. The O'Donnell debacle cost the Republicans a seat they were all but guaranteed, and that single loss basically erases their chances of taking the Senate.

One interesting (read: fucking terrifying) thing I heard is someone suggesting that if the Dems somehow manage a miracle and retain a very slim majority of the House, the Republicans might nominate one of the Blue Dogs for Speaker of the House. And with their lock-step vote and the couple of fellow Blue Dogs that are sure to vote with them, they have a really good chance of winning. Can someone who knows more about House rules tell me how likely, or even possible, this is? It's been giving me nightmares.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TheCanMan wrote: »

Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus. The O'Donnell debacle cost the Republicans a seat they were all but guaranteed, and that single loss basically erases their chances of taking the Senate.

One interesting (read: fucking terrifying) thing I heard is someone suggesting that if the Dems somehow manage a miracle and retain a very slim majority of the House, the Republicans might nominate one of the Blue Dogs for Speaker of the House. And with their lock-step vote and the couple of fellow Blue Dogs that are sure to vote with them, they have a really good chance of winning. Can someone who knows more about House rules tell me how likely, or even possible, this is? It's been giving me nightmares.

The Pubs did this in the MT State Legislature a few years back.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

All 49 Democrats and himself voted for one of the more moderate Republicans in another state Senate a few years back, winning by one vote. Can't remember which one, though.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

All 49 Democrats and himself voted for one of the more moderate Republicans in another state Senate a few years back, winning by one vote. Can't remember which one, though.

Tennessee sticks in my mind. Probably wrong, though. But yeah, such shenanigans do happen.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »

Tennessee sticks in my mind. Probably wrong, though. But yeah, such shenanigans do happen.

D:

:cry:

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Let me put that fear to rest: That will never ever happen. Any democrat that went along with such a coup would with 100% certainty be stripped of seniority within the caucus. That's Superliebermann levels of dickery.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Never underestimate the dickbaggery of Blue Dogs and the cowardice of the Democratic leadership. On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that you can get all of the Republicans on board to vote for a Democrat for leader unless that leader secretly agrees to change parties. And a secret shared amongst 200 people really isn't secret.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gosling, you should add that early voting by state/date chart thing to this OP.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »

I thought it was Tennessee too, but I'm certain it was a 50-49 vote and the TN Senate doesn't have that many members.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    the NY senate had this happen like last year

The republicans basically staged a coo and voted in Dem who switched parties

to get the house back to Dems they bribed the asshole with leadership positions to switch back

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    one of those assholes lost his primary later to a progressive

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    the NY senate had this happen like last year

The republicans basically staged a coo and voted in Dem who switched parties

to get the house back to Dems they bribed the asshole with leadership positions to switch back

Yeah, unfortunately close majorities or supermajorities are just ripe for abuse by opportunistic assholes like Lieberman.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Boy the first few posters are optimistic.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Octoparrot wrote: »

I'd say half of that is self-delusion and the other half is the conventional wisdom being completely wrong, as always. David Broder may gush about Republicans having control, but nobody else does. God I fucking hate Broder.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

The polls aren't exactly optimistic either. Unless Nate is going to be really really wrong we have roughly an 82% chance of keeping at least 50 seats in the senate and 28% chance of keeping 218 in the house.

Edit: In the campaign office and state wide we have started using a predictive dialing automated system. It sucks that I don't know who the hell I'm talking to, their age, party identity, or address, but I do end up talking to a lot more people. Instead of talking to ~1 person out of every 10 dials (which takes about 10 minutes) I am talking to maybe 5+ people in a 10 minute span.

Edit2: I heard somewhere that you are not allowed to auto dial cell phones. Does anyone happen to know if this is true? I've googled around a bit but haven't found much.

Edit3: I found this article on the autodialers but it only pertains to debt collectors so I'm not sure if the FCC regulation also applies to non-solicitations.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I get robocalled by campaigns on my cell phone all the time.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Grayson's opponent didn't even show up for the debate.

Kind of a good metaphor for Republicans this cycle really.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know that, at some point at least, tellemarketing on cell phones was illegal because cell plays often times charge you for recieving a call.

Don't know if that is still the case.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

Let me put that fear to rest: That will never ever happen. Any democrat that went along with such a coup would with 100% certainty be stripped of seniority within the caucus. That's Superliebermann levels of dickery.

You seriously don't think if the 'pubs nominated someone like one of the C-Street guys, that they wouldn't get atleast a couple of the Blue Dogs to vote for him? I don't even think it's a question as to whether or not they'd be able to whip a 100% vote out of their fellow 'pubs.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

The polls aren't exactly optimistic either. Unless Nate is going to be really really wrong we have roughly an 82% chance of keeping at least 50 seats in the senate and 28% chance of keeping 218 in the house.

I do think there's going to be greater margin for error in the House races because the smaller size and geographic footprint of the electorate means that local politics are more important than they are in state-wide or national races, and any polling done frequently uses a smaller sample size than a statewide poll; still, I'd rate Dem chances of retaining the House as Not Very Good At All.

SammyF on
This discussion has been closed.