As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Musicals

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, the Les Mis movie was just meh. It's really hard to adapt a serious musical into a live action film, because the seriousness kills the power of imagination. I also didn't lack Phantom for the same reason, and Mama Mia was sort of boring. Little Shop and Grease will probably always be the quintessential examples of doing it right.

Oh, and NPH attempts to save broadway:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/52190

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh my god my people. Yeah the Les Mis movie pissed me off. Gavroche didn't get to throw the ammo bag? You cut out huge portions of the best songs? What the fuck people. Les Mis being my favorite musical, having seen it many many times and even had master classes from a touring cast, it's hard for me to get pleased by a movie version though.

• Options
    Do they offer the full songs in the bluray version? I don't understand why they wouldn't do that. It seems like it would only be a few extra days worth of filming.

Oh, apparently they released a sequel to Phantom. Visually, it looks stunning. But these songs aren't really doing anything for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9VH82ekWR8

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    They're making an Into the Woods movie, too.

With Johnny Depp as the wolf. And Meryl Streep as the witch. And Chris Pine and Jake Gyllenhaal as the princes.

And allegedly James Corden and Emily Blunt as the Baker and his wife.

I'm not even a little bit joking

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »

With Johnny Depp as the wolf. And Meryl Streep as the witch. And Chris Pine and Jake Gyllenhaal as the princes.

holyfuckholyfuckholyfuck

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Wait wait, there's been a musical thread, and I didn't know about it? Well damn.

I have a stack of playbills in my room. Actually been mulling over what to see this season.

Has anyone seen The Book of Mormon, Rock of Ages, or How to Succeed in Business without really trying? Or Elf! the musical, but that was pretty bad.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »

Into The Woods is my fave musical ever. I will watch the hell out of this.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Honestly, the only real apprehension I have is Emily Blunt, since I have never heard her sing. I actually really enjoyed Mamma Mia and thought Meryl Streep was fantastic, especially during The Winner Takes it All, so I have no doubt she can rock the witch, but...if Moments in the Wood is anything less than spectacular, I will be sad.

edit: Giants in the Sky, too, but I haven't even seen hints at a Jack so that may be premature. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I dislike Jack intensely so I could care less. There's really no way they can top Bernadette Peters and Joanna Gleason so I'll settle for simply seeing a new interpretation.

JUSTIN BEIBER AS JACK CONFIRMED KILL ME NOW
    not really confirmed, it's Cory Monteith :P

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Did anyone else hate the Sweeney Todd adaptation?

It was just too dark. Not thematically dark, literally dark. I had eye strain throughout the entire movie.

And you know it didn't look like that when they filmed it, so they intentionally made it visually unwatchable in post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQdGd1Yapp0

Maybe it's easier to watch in a darkened theater, when your eyes have time to adjust. But so, so, so annoying.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

It was just too dark. Not thematically dark, literally dark. I had eye strain throughout the entire movie.

And you know it didn't look like that when they filmed it, so they intentionally made it visually unwatchable in post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQdGd1Yapp0

Maybe it's easier to watch in a darkened theater, when your eyes have time to adjust. But so, so, so annoying.

That and HBC couldn't really sing the part of Mrs. Lovett. To be fair, few can - it's tough even by Sondheim standards, but her struggles hurt the movie even more than Burton's art direction/lighting choices.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    I don't think I was even able to get far enough into the movie to really hear her sing.

BTW, anyone else familiar with Captain Invincible?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW8gn3cc4pk

Alan Arkin and Christopher Lee play musical superhero and supervillain.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I only enjoy comedy musicals. Otherwise the singing pisses me off cause it takes 10s of dialog into 4 minutes of boring singing.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Sondheim is sort of the opposite; 4 minutes of dialogue crammed into 10 seconds of singing.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Also much of Sondheim is funny.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    So... holy shit. Matilda the musical.

I assume that everyone here already understands just how hard it is to get a decent performance from children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsJ_sDt65Ao

I can't even imagine what the child labor labor laws are like for this.

Also, that's the greatest number of Asian actors I've seen in a musical that wasn't "Miss Saigon" or "Flower Drum Song."

• Options
    I only enjoy comedy musicals. Otherwise the singing pisses me off cause it takes 10s of dialog into 4 minutes of boring singing.

If you think the singing is boring why the hell are you even watching a musical?

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    So... holy shit. Matilda the musical.

I assume that everyone here already understands just how hard it is to get a decent performance from children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsJ_sDt65Ao

I can't even imagine what the child labor labor laws are like for this.

Also, that's the greatest number of Asian actors I've seen in a musical that wasn't "Miss Saigon" or "Flower Drum Song."

I saw it last weekend. Those kids were pretty fucking professional.

The kids rotate, I think I saw 4 out of that group.
    I took a plane to the face because we were near the front row.

Note: There isn't any context for the "adults" showing up. And Matilda isn't there.

The little girl who played Matilda that night was really good.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    When I saw Spamalot, the rabbit fucked up, and the cast cracked up and it was hilarious.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

If you think the singing is boring why the hell are you even watching a musical?
    http://m.splol.com/videos/video.rbml?mgid=mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:400590&weburl=http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/400590/wicked-subtext/&alt=http://m.splol.com/videos/index.rbml&cid=300

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Here's another version of Matilda, where you can see the closeups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kn-fEuRB0Q

A lot of people in the comments are joking that this is the prequel to Spring Awakening due to angst.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    My favorite stage musical is probably [Title of Show].

It's about itself.

It follows two writers, Jeff and Hunter, who are writing a musical. (Their musical is about two writers, Jeff and Hunter, writing a musical.) in the original production, the characters of Jeff and Hunter were played by writers Jeff Bowen and Hunter Bell.

A lot of the show contains Broadway in jokes and allusions to other musicals, most of which I don't get because I'm not a theater geek. I like the self-awareness of it and how it deals with a very simple feeling - wanting to create something but not knowing what it is you want to create... Or even how to go about it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    So basically it's Bakuman, the musical?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So it's been over 6 years since anyone posted here.

Anything new in the world of musicals?

So excited about Into the Woods.
    I love that show. I played the Mysterious Old Man/Narrator in a community theater production of it about 5 years ago.

Also apparently there is a theater in London that did a Princess Mononoke musical that seems to have been well received.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So it's been over 6 years since anyone posted here.

Anything new in the world of musicals?

So excited about Into the Woods.
    I love that show. I played the Mysterious Old Man/Narrator in a community theater production of it about 5 years ago.

Also apparently there is a theater in London that did a Princess Mononoke musical that seems to have been well received.

Not surprised. Apparently, there was a Bleach musical in Japan 8 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbqU46QaojY

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

I have the opposite opinion! I thought the shadowy lighting made the film more evocative and fit in with the grim story.

I saw a local performance of the show, and clips of the original Broadway version, and both had bright, undramatic lighting, and that just felt wrong to me, by comparison.

• Options
    Yeah, I hate flat undramatic lighting as much as the next guy.

But Burton got to the point where it was physically painful for me to watch. It's just as flat, but in the other direction.

• Options
    In fairness, most Tim Burton movies are physically painful to watch.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Three pages and I haven't seen mention of three of the best four musicals?!

At least a couple of you mentioned Tommy

Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Little Shop of Horrors
    My Fair Lady

those are all little slices of musical heaven

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Three pages and I haven't seen mention of three of the best four musicals?!

At least a couple of you mentioned Tommy

Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Little Shop of Horrors
    My Fair Lady

those are all little slices of musical heaven
    Yeah, the Les Mis movie was just meh. It's really hard to adapt a serious musical into a live action film, because the seriousness kills the power of imagination. I also didn't lack Phantom for the same reason, and Mama Mia was sort of boring. Little Shop and Grease will probably always be the quintessential examples of doing it right.

Oh, and NPH attempts to save broadway:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/52190

Right there.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    argh, I missed it

1/3rd of my statement is retracted!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    My only problem with the Sweeney film is that they don't have the Ballad of Sweeney Todd, but I understand why they didn't do that.

• Options
    Rocky Horror is overrated.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    My only problem with the Sweeney film is that they don't have the Ballad of Sweeney Todd, but I understand why they didn't do that.
    I think they actually were going to have it in, and even filmed it (featuring Anthony Stewart Head and Christopher Lee, even!) before cutting it. Wonder if that's on the DVD.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    I had absolutely no idea that Head was in Sweeney.

So dark.

• Options
    I can't believe that this thread has been going on for 6 years, and not one mention of Glee.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Have we mentioned The Producers? My wife got to see it with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick on Broadway. So jealous!

My Fair Lady was one of my favorites as a kid.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I can't believe that this thread has been going on for 6 years, and not one mention of Glee.

Glee has its own thread. No one posts there anymore though. The show has kind of gone downhill.
    spool32 wrote: »
    Have we mentioned The Producers? My wife got to see it with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick on Broadway. So jealous!

My Fair Lady was one of my favorites as a kid.

I saw the Producers with those two as well. Their ability to ad lib was hilarious.

At one point, the heel of Matthew Broderick's shoe came off, so Nathan Lane kept making cobbler jokes.
    At another, some machinery under the stage started making noise, so he stomped on the stage and yelled "I am trying to work here!" like it was neighbors underneath his office.
    Finally, when the two police officers come to investigate, they both fake Irish brogues. One of them is a black man however, and as he's being arrested, Lane remarked "I've heard of black Irish but this is ridiculous."

• Options
    Fun fact:

M. Night Shymalan recently revealed that he wrote the 90s remake of "My Fair Lady."

Still better than Unbreakable.