As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Solicitations for January 2011

wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Graphic Violence
EDIT: This is just the DC thread now, since Hadji made a Marvel thread already.

DC solicitations

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
wwtMask on

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Damn you mask!

Damn You!

I just posted the Marvel one thinking that the DC ones were already up. Want to make this a DC thread or should I just volunteer to close off my thread and move my Marvel comments over here?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll make it the DC thread.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Looks like Scalped volume 7 is the only thing DC I'm getting in January, well February due to my schedule.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Used sparingly, I think the simplified trade dress DC's using in January could be cool. It's the kind of thing that would leap off the shelf at your LCS, when standing next to dozens of comics with busy, cluttered covers. But when there are going to be multiple comics that look like that, every week for the entire month, I think the effect is going to be pretty diluted.

It also makes it kind of hard to do the usual solicitation discussion.

"Hey, check out this cover! It's the protagonist in front of their logo! Zounds!"
    "Keen! What about that one?!"
    "It's.. the protagonist in front of their logo."
    ":("

Munch on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Plus, some of them have pretty weak logos.
    Starman-Congo-1.jpg
    ZATana-9.jpg

Lux on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So Star Man and Congorilla are a team now?

BURSTING FROM THE (crappy) PAGES OF CRY FOR JUSTICE, ITS STAR MAN AND CONGORILLA!

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    James Robinson called them the new Blue and Gold. :x

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2010
    if they're the new Blue and Gold who's the new Blue and Red?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Rocket Red and Blue Beetle, duh.

Munch on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    James Robinson called them the new Blue and Gold. :x

You have my sword

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They're also the new Angel & Ape.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am the only one excited about that.

And even I acknowledge that those characters kind of suck together, are usually not written so well by him, and have zero basis for their friendship.

But man, he is trying so hard to do the JLA right with what little he has that I will just keep going back. It may not be great, but at least it's fun. Although I'm about 2 months behind on both books, it's gotten to a point where it's got some superficial similarities with Bendis's Avengers: Characters that are written inconsistently from their main books, lots of writer-favored C listers on the flagship team, and big flashy adventures that don't yet impact the main universe as much as they should.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I didn't realize the "ha!" was the artist signature, I thought maybe it was a weird cover element.

Lux on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really do like the cover gimmicks. It's a cool way to get across that this is one line, and gets a bunch of neat images out of it.

Like the Faces of the DC Universe they did in the late 90's

MastaP on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They're also the new Angel & Ape.

NO.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Do we still need the Justice League anymore?

Tairu on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sweet, last Gotham Central hardcover. I'm pretty sure they're reprinting the first one around that time too so I'll finally have all four.

Otherwise, eh. No good surprises. The covers aren't bad I guess.

I'l echo Munch's concern in the other thread of Eric Wallace writing Shazam though. After pissing around with Shazam for years, it finally looks like they're doing something with it, only to put one of the rapey rapey murder murder hacks on it. Great...

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sweet, last Gotham Central hardcover. I'm pretty sure they're reprinting the first one around that time too so I'll finally have all four.

Otherwise, eh. No good surprises. The covers aren't bad I guess.

I'l echo Munch's concern in the other thread of Eric Wallace writing Shazam though. After pissing around with Shazam for years, it finally looks like they're doing something with it, only to put one of the rapey rapey murder murder hacks on it. Great...

I have the first 3 Gotham Central hardcovers but after finding out the last trade has issues 33-40 and the last hardcover has 32-40 I just got the trade. Thankfully my LCS had issue 32 in back stock.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!