As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battlestar Galactica] - Daybreak expansion hitting stores now!

antheremantherem Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in Critical Failures
Updated with Daybreak info
bsg-boardgame.jpg

Welcome to BSG: The Board Game, a cooperative game with traitors, guaranteed to make you paranoid within 5 minutes or your money back. (Note: paranoia not actually guaranteed.) Don't know the show? Not a problem! Knowledge of the lore is not required to play, although it will make for more fun player banter/roleplaying.
After forty years passing without a single word from the Cylons, they returned, and all but eradicated the human race. In this time of strife, they must put aside the petty differences that once separated them and focus on one thing — survival.

Humanity's only hope of a future is to find a new home; a place called Earth. The Cylons, however, are in constant and tireless pursuit. They now look, breathe and bleed exactly like humans. Cylons have infiltrated the Fleet, destroyed resources, and threaten to finish the extermination they have begun. The humans have no choice but to run, plagued by the paranoia of an indistinguishable enemy.

Are you a Cylon who will help to erase any memory of the human race? Or will your resilience and determination to survive prove to the Cylons that humanity is worth saving?

We played, and played some more, and threw accusations of Cylonitude around, and it was good. Then, we demanded more, and lo, what should jump into our lives from the heavens above but:
BSG02.jpg

The Pegasus expansion! Adding the ability to play as a Cylon leader with a secret victory condition, a new endgame that results in having to throw the Admiral out an airlock to prove he's human, and a class of skill cards only Cylons can use. Don't leave the Twelve Colonies without it.
The first expansion for Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, Pegasus adds two new supplemental game boards featuring the Battlestar Pegasus and the planet New Caprica, seven new characters, two plastic Basestars, as well as new Destination, Crisis, Loyalty, Quorum, Super Crisis, and Skill cards.

The new Pegasus board can be used by itself or together with the New Caprica board to create the game you desire – the Pegasus alone for the additional firepower she provides, or add the New Caprica board to simulate the rebellion on the new human colony, bringing the game to an epic level.

New rules introduce the ability to play as a new character type – the Cylon Leader, with a new Treachery Skill card type.

Not enough, we cried out! There's so much more to add from the later parts of the series! And FFG, in their wisdom, smiled upon us with...

box-bsg-exodus-right.png

The Exodus expansion!
As the Battlestar Galactica continues its exhausting search for a new home, their Cylon pursuers hunt them at every turn. Whether it’s the Cylon fleet or the mental fatigue that catches up to them, the crew of the Battlestar Galactica cannot find a respite from their constant struggles. Paranoia and suspicion may tear them apart before the Cylons can even get a chance to.

Exodus contains three new game elements, which address some of the metagame concerns with previous sets, and add more depth in general:

* Conflicted Loyalties, which adds two new types of You Are Not A Cylon cards - The Final Five cards which inflict punishment on anyone examining them, and Personal Goal cards that give a condition to the player holding it which reduce a resource if not met.
* The Cylon Fleet, which both makes the civilian ships more of an issue to deal with, and makes the Cylon ships more of a constant threat (since when you jump away, they go to an auxiliary board, and every crisis which would move ships instead brings them closer to returning...) Pilots become more important, and the new CAG title makes for easier manipulation of unmanned vipers.
* The Ionian Nebula, introducing a new "trauma" mechanic, new endgame sequence (including, controversially, player elimination), and interactions with some of the minor characters from the show. It also makes the Brig and Sickbay worse places to go by making them traumatic.

The Exodus mechanics are not recommended for new players - stick with the base game, or at the most Pegasus. Adding in the Exodus characters is OK though.

What's that, you want more? How about a season 4 expansion? With a sewage treatment ship?

Your wish is granted, Daybreak is coming
BSG04_3Dbox-Left.png

New Cylon Leader agenda rules, Cult Leader Action Baltar, Assault Raptors, oh my!

For more information on rules or play-by-post games, check out the following:

Rules and Utilities
FFG support page, with rules and FAQ/errata for the base set and all expansions, as well as official variants such as No Sympathizer
Player Aid 1, on BoardGameGeek
Player Aid 2, on BoardGameGeek

Current and Previous Games list maintained by Darian in the CF PbP Gaming Index.

(OP copied from Gandalf_The_Crazed's old thread, updated for Pegasus and Exodus)

antherem on

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As for new characters, I'm guessing we'll get Anders (what with him being on the box and all) for Piloting, Gaeta for Command, and Tory for Political.

antherem on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And maybe another Cylon Leader too?

DarkPrimus on
    usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    antherem wrote: »
    As for new characters, I'm guessing we'll get Anders (what with him being on the box and all) for Piloting, Gaeta for Command, and Tory for Political.

Callie for engineering!

This is just a hope.

Lykouragh on
  • EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SHIIIIIT YESSSSSS.

I'd thought this would never happen. Balls, I am excited. The Ionian Nebula variant sounds awesome.

EddieDean on
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In addition, new Personal Goal Loyalty Cards present players with an incriminating task to undertake. If they don’t fulfill their goal, then they will cause Galactica to lose a resource at the end of the game. Will you raise suspicion by completing the damaging task, or will you lay low and hope your failures won’t condemn the rest of your crew?

Yeeesssssssss.

EDIT: Also, that Cylon Fleet board looks basically like a "fuck the humans they'll never win" button.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh, I see Gaius frakkin Balter gets to be on the box twice. :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I wonder if this will be the one that includes the "Earth" destination card?

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • StilesStiles Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I wonder if this will be the one that includes the "Earth" destination card?

I was thinking that too, but I wonder how that'd implement with Kobol and New Caprica? Or if they'd just ignore them altogether. Since this expansion says "You can choose to add any combination of the three new options included in Exodus.", I wonder if it's more of an addon you can throw in to the Kobol or NC destinations...

I also wonder where I'm going to put all these boards! My table is only so big.

Stiles on
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Current and Previous Games list maintained by Darian in the CF PbP Gaming Index.

Ha. I finally found the reason the old list wasn't updated. (And why Darian commented on the hidden game.) I feel special now. >.>

Tenek on
    edited October 2010
    Tenek wrote: »

Ha. I finally found the reason the old list wasn't updated. (And why Darian commented on the hidden game.) I feel special now. >.>

I figured why duplicate effort on a second copy of the list when Darian's doing a fine job?

antherem on
  • Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This looks perfect. Hoping for a Billy card with a sacrifice once per game (maybe discard character sheet to resolve a Crisis automatically?) Adding ambiguity to player actions is brilliant, really gonna put an edge to guessing people actions.

Gene Parmesan on
    edited October 2010
    You know what would be a small, easy, but interesting addition to the game? Some extra civvie ships. At the start of the game, you draw 12 random ones from the pile...that way, you don't know exactly how many of each resource are in the civvies.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    edited October 2010
    That's a good idea. Because the fleet did have that ship with the botanical garden bubbles on it, so they could add a ship that has population + food. For other new things maybe they could throw in an explosion icon that when revealed damages a viper or destroys another civilian ship or...something. I dunno. Doesn't seem like there's much more they could really do with the civilian ships is there?

Stiles on
  • DampCatDampCat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oooooooooooooh

DampCat on
    fiawal6.jpg
    "EVEN IN DEATH I STILL COOK MOTHERFUCKERS".
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, it sure seems like this new expansion contains nothing but new ways to screw the humans. Loyalty cards that punish the fleet if they're revealed? More ways to get Raiders in the game? Presumably, new Treachery cards?

Hopefully the new characters are awesome. I don't plan to buy this, because I so rarely get to play the game as it is. Of course, I say that now. Of course I'll buy it.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wait.

Wait.

Are you saying that we may not want to kill the Admiral to prove his loyalty?

Bought, sight unseen.

Capfalcon on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Played a couple games at my FLGS last night! Both had pretty amusing endings.

Game 1 ended in 10 turns. To make a long story short, a Heavy Raider managed to dock and it's Centurion made it's way through the Boarding Party track despite being shot at about 10 times, with four or five of those times having the benefit of Strategic Planning. It docked before the first jump and the first several Crisis cards after the jump were Cylon Fleet activations.

Helena Cain was XO'd between her first and second turns; this was at a time when we were surrounded by Basestars and Raiders with several Civilian ships about to become vulnerable. She said, "Now'd be a pretty good time for Blind Jump, guys." We agreed; instead of jumping, she revealed. We fell for that one pretty damn hard, I'd say. Right before her second turn the Crisis Card had Activate Heavy Raiders; that activation moved the HR into the penultimate spot on the Boarding Party track and on her first turn as a revealed Cylon she ended the game. Easily the shortest game I've ever played in.

Game 2? Well, here's a picture that shows pretty clearly how game 2 ended.
    raidersn.jpg
    At the time of this image, we had Distance 6, Pop 3, and those five Civilian ships you see on the board are all that remain. That one Viper is piloted by Lee Adama; three Vipers are destroyed and the rest are damaged. This scenario is right after a do-or-die skill challenge (Fail = Fuel loss and we wouldn't have had enough to make it to 8 distance) that someone made Reckless and a Cylon contributed a By Your Command to, which is how all those Raiders managed to move into that one space.

This image is just after the skill challenge resolution; the Crisis itself had Activate Raiders. Lee didn't make it :cry:

Rius on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That is both frightening and beautiful.

Darian on
    edited November 2010
    Ad spotted on BGG:
    pic838046.jpg

Confirms Anders as the new playable Pilot, and appears to have a character stand for Gaeta.

antherem on
  • CF SANTACF SANTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hello Lords of Kobol! This is a short post to let you know that the CF Secret Santa event for the Holiday 2010 season has now commenced here. We would love to have you sign up and get to know other members of CF through mutual mass consumption!

CF SANTA on
    santasig.jpg
  • DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Another expansion is amazing. Never enough BSG.

Doctorstrongbad on
    edited November 2010
    Update from FFG on Exodus, describing the Cylon Fleet board.

Also, Anders.
    bsg-exodus-anders.png

antherem on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, Anders gets an awesome draw. In addition, Star Player is pretty awesome. He can discard Treachery to get other skill cards. His OPG looks pretty situational but has the potential to be a game changer for the humans. Less so for the cylons, but knocking out a viper pilot at the right time can be horrible. His disadvantage means you're probably going to be failing a crisis on that first round of turns.

And the CAG looks interesting. I guess there is a Succession order for that, too.

The new cylon board looks pretty nasty, though.

I mean, decreasing Jump Prep just sucks. And increasing Pursuit looks pretty mean too.

Capfalcon on
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think the advantages to the Cylons significantly outweigh the advantages to the humans- if I'm reading the rules right, the Cylons effectively put more tokens on the board every single turn and have more opportunities to reduce jump prep, while the humans occasionally get an extra turn.

Lykouragh on
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hmm. Longshot does look interesting. Jump at -3 for free. Max result on a nuke, or Pegasus attack roll. Or destroy the piloted viper.

And Star Player seems like it would be pretty awesome with an XO/Critical Situation... Launch Scout to see what colors you're going to need, and then draw a bunch of them. Stock up on Tactics when a Super Crisis is coming...

Tenek on
    edited November 2010
    Looking forward to seeing more characters and information. :)

Doctorstrongbad on
    edited November 2010
    The CAG card does look pretty weak, but then again, so is the President card. Perhaps there will be a lot of cards where the CAG has to make a decision. Also on the left hand side of that ad it really looks like Cally...

Stiles on
    edited December 2010
    Update from FFG, regarding the new loyalty cards.

Also, Cally
    bsg-exodus-cally.png
    I'm liking that skill set.

One of the comments mentions this should be out by mid December, so maybe just a few weeks away!

Stiles on
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Theorycraft time!

Setup: Player 1 is Admiral Cain, player 2 is President Baltar, other players don't matter. Baltar is a Cylon, and Cain has this:

1562w5g.png

Turn 1 the crisis is
    CRISIS: Mandatory Testing

Skill check: POL/LEA = 13
    PASS: The President looks at 1 random Loyalty Card of the current player.
    9+: No Effect
    FAIL: -1 Morale

Post Crisis: Activate Heavies, +1 Jump Prep
    Humans pass, and Baltar looks at Cain's loyalty card. Galactica is damaged twice and she gets the card back.

Turn 2, Baltar OPGs to look at her loyalty card again. Two more damage. Crisis is
    CRISIS: Informing the Public

Current Player Chooses:
    Skill check: POL/LEA = 7
    Pass: Current player looks at one loyalty card belonging to any player.
    FAIL: -2 Morale

OR

Roll a die. On a 4 or less, -1 pop, -1 morale.

Post Crisis: Activate Raiders, +1 jump prep
    Baltar passes the check, two more damage, Galactica goes kaboom.

This all presupposes not hitting any of the resource tokens but I like it anyway! We wouldn't even need the crisis if he could critsit to OPG and then play Release Cylon Mugshots, but he doesn't draw TAC :(

scrivenerjones on
    edited December 2010
    Huh. There's no 7 player support in the new loyalty deck rules?

antherem on
    edited December 2010
    This all presupposes not hitting any of the resource tokens but I like it anyway! We wouldn't even need the crisis if he could critsit to OPG and then play Release Cylon Mugshots, but he doesn't draw TAC :(

But he is a little delusional, so this setup could work if it were a bit latter in the game...

It's not has hilarious as a two turn loss, but still...

Capfalcon on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

They mention that it's only the first half of the new loyalty deck rules. There's more they aren't posting.

Also? Above, someone said "scout then change cards." I hope you have that "2 actions!" ability, either through XO or movement -- and the latter never shows up for me. After all, actions are actions. :D

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited December 2010
    Stiles wrote: »

Also, Cally
    bsg-exodus-cally.png

One of the comments mentions this should be out by mid December, so maybe just a few weeks away!

Cally has an awesome card set up. Almost a rainbow set up. :winky:

Doctorstrongbad on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Stiles wrote: »

Also, Cally
    bsg-exodus-cally.png

Cally has an awesome card set up. Almost a rainbow set up. :winky:

God help you if she's Cylon, though.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited December 2010
    Cally's draw is trash, especially when you consider the synergy with her drawback. e.g. with 1LEA she can't count on getting XOs, but when she does get one and plays it then she can't play into LEA/POL or LEA/TAC checks without sabotaging. her static is pretty good though, and lol at her OPG, esp with the new execution mechanics.

scrivenerjones on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I would guess that 7-player support would require the use of a Cylon Leader again, which likely is covered in a different part of the rules or just requires the Pegasus expansion. Even then, the 7-player game is covered at the end of the rulebook in the variants section.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited December 2010
    Another Exodus update. Gaeta is in, and so is a permanent player elimination mechanic (??!??!?!?!?)

scrivenerjones on
    edited December 2010
    This can't be real.

NGByg.png

scrivenerjones on
  • Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man that expansion looks fantastic. The original game just kind of uses the BSG theme to do it's thing in my opinion (and I love it for that) but you can't create a BSG caliber story with it or Pegasus. With the Crossroads phase you could actually sort of rp your character, instead of just using a caricature of them to make funny references. It's what I wanted without knowing it.

Gene Parmesan on
    edited December 2010
    I can't even believe Gaeta. The best draw in the game + insanely good static for either side + a get-out-of-brig free card and take the admiralty to boot + a drawback that might come up once or twice a game. Holy moly.

scrivenerjones on