As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman. Disgaea-Diablo. We are soooo screwed.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the info. Guess they won't be getting my money, then.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    To be honest, if I could be in my living room playing this on my TV instead of in my computer room, playing it on my PSP, I would be.

There was a rumor that they found a hint of an upcoming PSP Emulator in some PSP / PS3 firmware someplace. No clue about the validity of that.

KiTA on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You may want to look around at second hand shops or even places like craigslist. My PSP has been sitting on the shelf unused for a good 9+ months or more before i decided to pick this up (The original puzzle quest umd was still in the system) and about 2 months ago i decided to see if it was worth trading in..Gamestop only wants to give you like 20 bucks for it. I'm sure several people like me would consider taking a bit more then that and you could still save a bundle. I'm talking about the original PSP, not the go.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    To be honest, if I could be in my living room playing this on my TV instead of in my computer room, playing it on my PSP, I would be.

There was a rumor that they found a hint of an upcoming PSP Emulator in some PSP / PS3 firmware someplace. No clue about the validity of that.

You can.

What's required:
    PSP Go (Yes, really)
    PSP Go Docking Station
    PSP Go A/V cables
    PS3
    PS3 Controller
    Sony Logo tattooed on your lower back

Run the a/v cables from the dock to your TV. Do a Bluetooth registration for the PS3 controller on your PSP Go (this requires the PS3 afaik). Change display mode on your PSP to connected display.

Play on yo couch. This is how I roll.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No, the PS3 will not play PSP games. That would be nice, though.

Mumbly, there are people that don't care to buy a PSP, but would like to play some of the PSP games. Sony would benefit from increased software sales over PSN, and they could even charge a reasonable fee for the emulator. Same with the PS2, which people have been harping on about for years now.

Personally, while I have a PSP (slim), I find using a controller and a monitor far superior than the cramped and not so ergonomic handheld. Games don't always get the attention they deserve because of this. Yes, I am aware the PSPgo provides a solution, but I'm not upgrading hardware, and really, if someone has a PS3 that supposedly "does Everything", its reasonable to expect Sony to develop an emulator.

Sony could have a PSP emulator, but they would have to price it carefully to make it not steal all PSP sales, but not so expensive that it's pointless to have.

Mugaaz wrote: »

You can.

What's required:
    PSP Go (Yes, really)
    PSP Go Docking Station
    PSP Go A/V cables
    PS3
    PS3 Controller

Run the a/v cables from the dock to your TV. Do a Bluetooth registration for the PS3 controller on your PSP Go (this requires the PS3 afaik). Change display mode on your PSP to connected display.

Option 2: Hack your PSP, download RemoteJoy on your HTPC, connect the PSP and your choice of USB controller, do some slight configuration, and you have PSP on your TV with some minor visual degradation

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    like the Failure Weed trick from Phantom Brave

Might I trouble someone to expound on this "Failure Weed trick"? I can never seem to keep myself from petering out before the end of the first act.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Huh? Just buy the cable. I play my PSP on the TV all the time.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Sony could have a PSP emulator, but they would have to price it carefully to make it not steal all PSP sales, but not so expensive that it's pointless to have.

Just curious, but doesn't Sony make a loss on all PSP sales? Why would they care if their digital distribution outsold the PSP sales, as long as they were selling the software and making money?

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ianator wrote: »
    like the Failure Weed trick from Phantom Brave

Might I trouble someone to expound on this "Failure Weed trick"? I can never seem to keep myself from petering out before the end of the first act.

Get the Failure or Ruined title. It's pretty easy to find, if you have trouble just creat characters with Marona. If no one shows up with the title, back out of the p[rocess and start again until they show. Then banish them and keep the title.

Make a Dungeon with your DungeonMonk and throw the title on it. Make the level crazy high with Few enemies and Small area, No Restrictions.

Then just run the dungeon, heading for exits and not fighting unless you want. Confining characters alone should get them about 10 levels each time. Every so often you'll have to grab a new Failure title as doing the dungeon levels it up.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Just curious, but doesn't Sony make a loss on all PSP sales? Why would they care if their digital distribution outsold the PSP sales, as long as they were selling the software and making money?

Because if there was an emulator, NO ONE would buy the PSP anymore and they'd have a much much much bigger loss.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MagitekMagitek Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Because if there was an emulator, NO ONE would buy the PSP anymore and they'd have a much much much bigger loss.

You can't carry around your PS3, so I don't think it's entirely accurate to say the money made from the psp would be any worse off. You might get a heck of a lot extra PSP game sales though.

Magitek on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Have they stopped selling the old type PsP ?

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

But they would be selling those games on the PS3 instead. They still make the same amount of money, and as Magitek pointed out, there would be a lot more people buying PSP games if there was an emulator.

Just a random, idle thought. I don't understand why someone wouldn't want their games to be sold on as many systems as possible in order to increase game sales.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

But they would be selling those games on the PS3 instead. They still make the same amount of money, and as Magitek pointed out, there would be a lot more people buying PSP games if there was an emulator.

Just a random, idle thought. I don't understand why someone wouldn't want their games to be sold on as many systems as possible in order to increase game sales.

Because then they would have a big, fat red number on their spread sheet for sales. It doesn't matter that there's a black number somewhere else. This is SONY. 1+1 does not equal 2 for them.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's more along the lines that they're separate departments with separate executives. And while one exec would get a +1 in black, another would get a -1 in red, and oh heeeeelll no.

It's like how when I was working at AT&T I had to log every call 7 times. Not because it was useful, it was because every single exec up the chain wanted his own custom reports with his own name on them. No executive wants to be told "but the report you were getting made for you is redundant now, get a copy from the other executives."

Similarly, no executive wants to bite the bullet, even if it's more akin to +1.5 and -1 on the balance sheets.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Okay, getting back to the OT.

I've got a little problem. I went into the index dungeon for the first time two days ago. This was before i knew the power leveling trick. Instead, i just happen to run across a mirror on level 1 next to a dwarf. So i hit the dwarf once, and it was down to a sliver of life. I walked it in front of the mirror, duped it, circled around, killed the dupe, reduped it etc...did this for about 10 minutes and was level 15 or so. Then i decided to move on and went down a floor. Everything was working out until i encountered a medusa that was about twice my level. it killed me in two hits and I gained Medusaphobia.

Now I have tried multiple times to go back into the index dungeon. Every single time I enter I'm in a starting room with multiple enemies, usually medusas, all starting level 5 or so. Sometimes i manage to clear the room but medusas are all over and usually kill me before i can kill enough of them to eliminate my medusaphobia.

Do i have to kill x medusa in the dungeon i gained the phobia in or can i just kill x medusa in other dungeons to get rid of the damn thing?

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    Do i have to kill x medusa in the dungeon i gained the phobia in or can i just kill x medusa in other dungeons to get rid of the damn thing?

Any medusae, anywhere.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Index's dungoen is like that. You either do really well, or you die in the first room. It all depends on how the first room is layed out. If you have time to sucker punch a dwarf or something... woo. If 5 dwarves turn into a level FUUUUCK dwarf of doom, well, hope your insurance is up.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

You can.

What's required:
    PSP Go (Yes, really)
    PSP Go Docking Station
    PSP Go A/V cables
    PS3
    PS3 Controller

Will this work with an old PSP-1000? My PS3 does have this remote thing on it, but I thought that was using the PSP to control the PS3, not the other way around.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    !#@$

I just CANNOT make the push past about level 45 of the second Mastery dungeon. My most recent trip was ended with my landing in a Hero Interception base with 6 dragons in it -- one attacked my back for 4500 damage. I need to go and get some +s to my gear I guess.

I have a few options for gearing up, none attractive:

1. Grind Mastery Dungeon+9 (church) for Rank 3 gear around floors 40-60. This is slow as hell.
    2. Grind down to Mastery Dungeon+0 and steal the Darkdeath gear off the bonus boss again. Hopefully this time I won't lose it to a goddamned power outage.
    3. Grind in the Index dungeon. I'm total level 6500 or so, going to 15000 through the 9999 trick may help. Or it might not.
    4. Grind up my gear to +9 / +19 / +29. Most of my gear is 2 star, as anything 3 star went to my Shadowgram. I also need to get a new Unlosing Sword, lost my last one in my most recent power loss / crash / etc.

I have Absorber and the build in EN reduction. It's odd not needing a silk hat or appetite engine helm just to survive. What's a good helm that won't lose 2% COND every time I attack? Most of the ones I've seen so far... ugh. Not so great. Maybe some piece of Dengeki gear? But that's so damned expensive to repair...

I'd love to find an expansion booster, my current one is S and is only +50% to my Unlosing Cape (so it's +53% to ALL stats). If I could get a L I could get that up to +258%.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gamefaqs is funny.

"Best place to get stronger is in the NIS Dengeki dungeon. There are monsters in there that will take you to level 9999 in a few minutes."

... You mean the dungeon that requires you do everything else in the game to unlock, including beat all the bonus dungeons, including the one I'm having trouble on, and the 8 that I need to unlock 2 more dungeons to access?

*headdesk*

Sometimes I think the use of Action Replays damage a person's brain.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You dont have to beat the game to get to the index dungeon. I found some dengeki cards really early just doing like the first 5-8 levels of the first available mastery dungeon (just set your caravan and make sure to check your digger before you zone out of the dungeon to buy them).

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No, not the Index dungeon.

They were suggesting I do the 17th one, available only after you do ALL the Dengenki dungeons and ALL the Mastery dungeons.

You know, do the 17th one so I could unlock the 3rd mastery dungeon? Which I would already have done if I was able to go to the 17th one?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    KiTA on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey guys, help me understand employees.

So I just unlocked the Mystery dungeon and have started gathering up extra employees. However, so far, all of these employees have skills around 2 or 4, while my default employees all have 5 in all skills. Are these new employees basically useless, even though they're much higher level than my default (who are all at level 3?) Is there any reason I want to keep these new innocents, or should I wait until I can go to the more advanced mystery dungeons and get employees worth my while?

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well there are ways to upgrade your employees. i posted a bit about the tigers den facilitiy a page ago, once you find 10 employees then you get that one and that supposidly is a way to upgrade your employees quickly. higher level emps give you things like multiple lunches per dungeon multiple repairs etc.

azith28 on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Right, but I don't have the Tiger's den yet, so I'm guessing I should just sit on these guys until more options open up, correct?

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Pretty much. Keep getting new employees as you see them.

KiTA on
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey guys, help me understand employees.

So I just unlocked the Mystery dungeon and have started gathering up extra employees. However, so far, all of these employees have skills around 2 or 4, while my default employees all have 5 in all skills. Are these new employees basically useless, even though they're much higher level than my default (who are all at level 3?) Is there any reason I want to keep these new innocents, or should I wait until I can go to the more advanced mystery dungeons and get employees worth my while?

Doesn't Tiger's Den unlock when you get 10(?) employees? If so, hold on to the ones you're finding.

i don't remember why or when i got Toro as an employee, but the Black Cat (Kuro? koro? i'm not checking now) should be standing behind your caravan when you reach it in the Mystery Dungeon. Both of them have 10 across the board for stats. For reasons i can't quite grasp the higher the stat, the faster it'll grow.

As a note, the black cat had a dialogue option before i got him. i think i chose the first option, but i don't know if it's actually important or anything.

Sorry if this is a little vague, it's only 7a over here, and i haven't finished my morning coffee yet.

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The higher the stat = higher it grows is easy.

You get 1% in gains every floor you get. If you leave a dungeon, it rounds DOWN to the nearest whole number.

Ergo, at level 5, you have to go 20 floors (20 * 0.05 a level = 1) to gain a level. At level 10, at 10 floors you gain a level (10 * 0.1 = 1). At 100, you gain a level a floor. The cap is 255.

Tiger Den employees gain stats on all 6 skills at an equal rate. Most facilities train 2 stats, at half rate. So to go from 5-6 on these facilities, you have to go 40 floors ((40 * 0.05) / 2). It's FAR easier to put characters in the Tiger Den and level them up that way.

Oh, and those guys with a 1 in a stat? 1 * 0.001 a floor = you have to get to floor 100 in a single go in order to get them a single skillup.

In other news, I beat the final cameo dungeon.
    Nippoin Ichi: Netherworld Wars -- aka, Makai Wars. Asagi as the boss. It's kinda sad when you think about it, how she'll never get her game. Especially if Disgaea 4 doesn't save the company.

I want the picture you get as a wallpaper, but that's asking too much.

Nothing to steal from that boss, and the dungeon only has Metal Cactai in it. Which you can't steal from. I did finish the dungeon at level 9999 though, so I went from stored level 7800 to 17800 or so. Apparently you stop getting stat bonuses out at 70,000 stored levels. When I have some spare time I'll work on getting to that -- doing the 9999 trick in there is boring.

I still can't make a dent in the final 2 mastery dungeons, and have no idea how I unlocked the 4th mastery dungeon -- I sure as hell didn't make it to floor 75 in mastery 3. I can barely make it to floor 5 in there.

What I'll probably do next time I have time to play is go steal Darkdeath gear from the 1st Mastery Dungeon boss, and start grinding that up to +99. Assuming no more damned power outages, I should be ok.

Also: Apparently in New Game+ mode, going back into the story dungeons unlocks secret boss fights, which may or may not also be ending conditions. I'll explore that later.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The higher the stat = higher it grows is easy.

You get 1% in gains every floor you get. If you leave a dungeon, it rounds DOWN to the nearest whole number.

Ergo, at level 5, you have to go 20 floors (20 * 0.05 a level = 1) to gain a level. At level 10, at 10 floors you gain a level (10 * 0.1 = 1). At 100, you gain a level a floor. The cap is 255.

Tiger Den employees gain stats on all 6 skills at an equal rate. Most facilities train 2 stats, at half rate. So to go from 5-6 on these facilities, you have to go 40 floors ((40 * 0.05) / 2). It's FAR easier to put characters in the Tiger Den and level them up that way.

Oh, and those guys with a 1 in a stat? 1 * 0.001 a floor = you have to get to floor 100 in a single go in order to get them a single skillup.

In other news, I beat the final cameo dungeon.
    Nippoin Ichi: Netherworld Wars -- aka, Makai Wars. Asagi as the boss. It's kinda sad when you think about it, how she'll never get her game. Especially if Disgaea 4 doesn't save the company.

I want the picture you get as a wallpaper, but that's asking too much.

Nothing to steal from that boss, and the dungeon only has Metal Cactai in it. Which you can't steal from. I did finish the dungeon at level 9999 though, so I went from stored level 7800 to 17800 or so. Apparently you stop getting stat bonuses out at 70,000 stored levels. When I have some spare time I'll work on getting to that -- doing the 9999 trick in there is boring.

I still can't make a dent in the final 2 mastery dungeons, and have no idea how I unlocked the 4th mastery dungeon -- I sure as hell didn't make it to floor 75 in mastery 3. I can barely make it to floor 5 in there.

What I'll probably do next time I have time to play is go steal Darkdeath gear from the 1st Mastery Dungeon boss, and start grinding that up to +99. Assuming no more damned power outages, I should be ok.

Also: Apparently in New Game+ mode, going back into the story dungeons unlocks secret boss fights, which may or may not also be ending conditions. I'll explore that later.

Anyone know at what points the stats of an employee will cause you to get another use of that facility? Like a second lunch, a second caravan point etc.

Also, does it matter what job you give them? Every facility has 2 employees, so if i take my most powerful person and make him the driver does that reduce the number of emps that dont make it to the meeting point, or if i make my most powerful my escavator, do i get more or better items?

azith28 on
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    azith28 wrote: »

Anyone know at what points the stats of an employee will cause you to get another use of that facility? Like a second lunch, a second caravan point etc.

Also, does it matter what job you give them? Every facility has 2 employees, so if i take my most powerful person and make him the driver does that reduce the number of emps that dont make it to the meeting point, or if i make my most powerful my escavator, do i get more or better items?

i don't know how it is for the other facilities, but putting your strongest employee as the Caravan driver will get you more stops in the dungeons. Putting them as the Excavator will net you better items... though that does seem a bit tied to what floor you meet them on...it seems like my Excavator is more likely to be packing jank when i meet him on floor 5 than on floor 59.

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I have to recommend this game to everyone. If for nothing else that you get to experience a video game character uttering the words 'bruised her uterus".

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

You can.

What's required:
    PSP Go (Yes, really)
    PSP Go Docking Station
    PSP Go A/V cables
    PS3
    PS3 Controller

Will this work with an old PSP-1000? My PS3 does have this remote thing on it, but I thought that was using the PSP to control the PS3, not the other way around.

Not really, there is no bluetooth capability in any model but the Go. Without bluetooth you cannot control it using a ps3 controller using OFW. Without that you can't use it while it's in the dock so it's just regular output to the TV.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gamefaqs is funny.

"Best place to get stronger is in the NIS Dengeki dungeon. There are monsters in there that will take you to level 9999 in a few minutes."

... You mean the dungeon that requires you do everything else in the game to unlock, including beat all the bonus dungeons, including the one I'm having trouble on, and the 8 that I need to unlock 2 more dungeons to access?

*headdesk*

It is the best place to powerlevel though. Index dungeon is only worth doing once to get 5-7k worth of total levels. After that you're better off just cruising through all the dengeki dungeons normally. Only dungeon that is difficult is the timed turns ones which relies on some luck.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow, the boss of the first Mastery Dungeon one shotted me.

I was blazing through it and then BAM 15k damage in one hit.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gamefaqs is funny.

*headdesk*

It is the best place to powerlevel though. Index dungeon is only worth doing once to get 5-7k worth of total levels. After that you're better off just cruising through all the dengeki dungeons normally. Only dungeon that is difficult is the timed turns ones which relies on some luck.

Although I'm past this, I do feel the need to point out, again: You need Mastery 3 to unlock the Bonus Dungeon that comes after Dengeki 16. I was seeking ways to get stronger (that aren't Index, cause I was already 7500 total levels or so by then) that didn't require Index or the 17th bonus dungeon, cause I couldn't unlock Mastery 3.

(The solution, btw, was more grinding. It is always more grinding.)

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ive got like 1100 total levels and the final boss is still kicking my ass. Everythings fine until i get within range of him. I tried staying at distance and throwing stuff at him but he has a pretty long range attack that can one shot me.

azith28 on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Save your Unlosing gauge and activate Unlosing Speed to cheese almost anything. You should be able to kill anything in the dozen or so turns you get. If not, you can use Unlosing Speed to steal and strip him naked, which will annihilate his attributes. Each equipment piece he holds is +20% to all attributes.

Alternatively, equip a Gator Bite and kill the alligator on that floor with Devour. This will make you immune to all attacks from the front. No, the AI doesn't know a way around that.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Whats skill is stealing based on anyway? I tried to get that 6 star skull mask from noire and kept wiffing even though i have rarely ever missed on an attack.

azith28 on