As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me some depressing anime!

AumniAumni Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Saikano
Monster
School Days

While I wait for Berserk's glorious comeback I'm looking to find some more anime that explores some serious psychological issues in relationships or the human psyche to entertain. I've seen a few more than the ones above but can't remember them too well.

I find Japanese Anime's ability to portray these bizarre and unusual stories fascinating, and crave more.

Thank you for your time!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
Aumni on

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i hear Grave of the Fireflies is soul crushing

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    SlainbylichSlainbylich Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Elfen Leid, in its own way is hella depressing.

Slainbylich on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rurouni Kenshin, but only the Trust and Betrayal OVA's.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In before B:L gushes praise for Now and Then, Here and There.

Welcome to the NHK is pretty depressing.

Then there's 5 Centimeters per Second, a bittersweet movie consisting of three short stories.

ef, a tale of memories and its sequel are pretty insane, but it's produced by Shaft so YMMV.

Last but not least, most of Satoshi Kon's works have bizarre stories. Perfect Blue, Paprika and Paranoia Agent to name a few.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Now Then, Here There

It turns people into pacifists.

[EDIT] Goddamn you, Chen

Also, don't watch 5 cm/s. It's too much. I was depressed for days afterward. Not kidding about this. It's industrial strength drama. It's beautifully animated though. Just gorgeous.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    eternalbl wrote: »

Yeah I did see this one and the scene at the end where:
    They're both dying and walking towards each other made me cry man tears :(

I'll have to check out 5cm/s.

I'll have to add Grave of the Fireflies, Elfen Leid, and Now then Here there to the have seen list, but it's been a while so I might just go rewatch those. Except Grave of the Fireflies because I think my body won't handle that again.

Thanks guys!

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Grave of the Fireflies is horribly, horribly soul-crushing

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Makershot wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies is horribly, horribly soul-crushing

It's true.

If you want something psychological and also fucking weird that is slightly less soul-crushing, Paranoia Agent might work. I just finished watching it (years lttp).

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maybe Mushi-Shi? It's part beautiful and hopeful and part beautiful and sad.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Now Then, Here There

It turns people into pacifists.

[EDIT] Goddamn you, Chen

Also, don't watch 5 cm/s. It's too much. I was depressed for days afterward. Not kidding about this. It's industrial strength drama. It's beautifully animated though. Just gorgeous.

I was so expecting something different. Holy Christ, it's depressing. Haven't seen any other movies listed, except Grave, also a downer, but N&T has really stuck with me.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    Welcome to the NHK is pretty depressing.

Does it get depressing or is the Manga completely different? I spent a lot of time laughing while reading the first... 4-5 volumes of the manga.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Grave is kind of soulless, though.

If you like your depression with a hint of hope then I'd suggest The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and possibly Azumanga. I know Azamanga is generally happy fun times stuff, but the ending is pretty special and all kinds of emotional.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FLCL maybe?

It's got a lot of sad stuff in it, though I wouldn't necessarily say it's a "depressing anime" as a whole. It has some pretty dang sad parts though, no doubt.

plus, I just think it's awesome.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    FLCL is about the loss of youth and innocence so... I'd say its themes are sad. It tackles them in a more or less upbeat and action packed way.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yes, for Elfen Leid and, yes, for Graveyard of the Fireflies. I cried.

Slider on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    rahxephon (although many parts are lighthearted, overall some sad shit happens)

evangelion + movie (emo)

cowboy bebop (only plot related episodes)

fafner in the azure (sad action)

bokurano (unavoidable fates)

serial experiments lain (calm but sad)

haibane renmei (very calm show)

texhnolyze (depressing throughout with occasional violent action. quiet.)

xam'd (great show, sad ending, mostly upbeat though)

blue gender

hikaru no go (has the most depressing 3 episodes ever. The plot summary will make you skip this, but it's really good)

NotYou on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    RahXephon isn't a good choice, as though sad shit does happen it all ultimately results in a better good for all.

Grave of the Fireflies, on the other hand...good god, why.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Barefoot Gen, Grave of Fireflies, Eva at some parts, and Zeta Gundam towards the finale.

Some parts of Battle Royale are fairly disheartening, the angst and poor translation diminish it though.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    I don't know about FLCL.

If you want gruesome and depressing there's always Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and Kai. The first season is extremely violent, but the characters are all school children in a small town stuck repeating the same sad, violent week or two over and over.

ceres on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gantz definitely had its moments. Though I mostly recall the comic, the anime didn't seem as memorable. Worth a shot, though.

Also, I just watched 5cm Per Second, and I didn't find it that depressing? Maybe I'm just too dead inside, heh.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This got passed around a lot when I was in undergrad in 2003. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voices_of_a_Distant_Star

It also goes by the name Hochi No Koe. It completely fits the bill for being incredibly depressing.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i hear Grave of the Fireflies is soul crushing

IIRC, when that movie was released it was a double feature playing opposite to My neighbor Totoro. I guess they wanted to horrify children into a coma after the Miyazaki flick was over or something.

I remember watching it when I was about 15 when a friend of mine loaned me a bunch of anime he had on VHS and...just...wow. I don't remember anything about the other stuff he loaned me, but I remember Grave of the Fireflies because it threw me in a funk for about a week after I'd watched it.

Raekreu on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wolf's Rain has some really sad parts.
    I also second Elfen Lied and Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

The best part is you don't even realize it's slowly killing your soul right up until the end.

People just sitting back and accepting fate is somehow more depressing than fighting and failing.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Very sad.

Clannad and Clannad After Story qualify as well.

Falx on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I will second many of the above and also recommend the original Area88 OAV series. I think there was a TV series done later, but I haven't seen it.

Basic summary: guy gets sold into service to a mercenary plane squadron by his "best friend", winds up forced to kill in order to buy his way out of the squadron.

Also, Air.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Falx wrote: »
    Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

The best part is you don't even realize it's slowly killing your soul right up until the end.

I disagree. YKK is charming. It's calm and peaceful. It's not depressing.

And someone suggested Azumanga, which is arguably the funniest, most upbeat anime ever created. It's only sad in that it ends and we must say goodbye to the characters, but that's true of most things.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aumni wrote: »
    eternalbl wrote: »

Yeah I did see this one and the scene at the end where:
    They're both dying and walking towards each other made me cry man tears :(

I'll have to check out 5cm/s.

I'll have to add Grave of the Fireflies, Elfen Leid, and Now then Here there to the have seen list, but it's been a while so I might just go rewatch those. Except Grave of the Fireflies because I think my body won't handle that again.

Thanks guys!

I fucking hate the OVA's. The go agaisnt the manga and anime and turn the series from a light hearted shonen to depressing ville.
    I cried too at the end

On topic, another vote for Grave. Though you already seen School Days, so I'm not sure how much worse anything could be in comparison. Now that's just an incredibly depressing anime.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Strangely enough I've found Wangan Midnight is fairly depressing in that they constantly introduce new characters whose hopes and dreams are shattered when they realize they can never top the guy in the fairlady, so why bother trying?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    NotYou wrote: »

evangelion + movie (emo)

cowboy bebop (only plot related episodes)

fafner in the azure (sad action)

bokurano (unavoidable fates)

serial experiments lain (calm but sad)

haibane renmei (very calm show)

texhnolyze (depressing throughout with occasional violent action. quiet.)

xam'd (great show, sad ending, mostly upbeat though)

blue gender

hikaru no go (has the most depressing 3 episodes ever. The plot summary will make you skip this, but it's really good)

The Navy ones I have seen already but I gotta check out Texhnolyze and Bokurano. Thanks for the list.

Some other really good suggestions as well. Time to q up some anime!

Aumni on
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I enjoyed Blue Gender until...
    ...they made it back to space...

...and then it seemed like your typical Anime series. It does have some depressing moments, mostly earlier on.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think I remember Jin-roh being pretty depressing.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hi,

Perhaps not really what you want, but consider watching "Death Note". I found it really depressing, specially the ending. There are two deleted scenes that are worth to watch too, if you can find them.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fantasma wrote: »
    Hi,

Perhaps not really what you want, but consider watching "Death Note". I found it really depressing, specially the ending. There are two deleted scenes that are worth to watch too, if you can find them.

Saw this and loved it! But I don't think it was too depressing aside from the ending; it had more of a thriller drama feel.

Aumni on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    NotYou wrote: »

2 words: Episode
    nineteen

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Good God yes.

Flag is pretty somber up until the end, then it gets sad. :~(

Eureka 7 is generally upbeat, but has some really depressing moments.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DragonPup wrote: »
    Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Good God no.
    Unless you somehow want to rage on the severe lack of humanitarian people shortly after a natural disaster.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    In before B:L gushes praise for Now and Then, Here and There.
    Now and... oh damnit!

Well I'll aim for the more obscure ones.

If you liked Clannad/Kanon/Air, I'd recommend checking out Sola which is along the same line.

Key: The Metal Idol is an amazing sci fi trek as well. Definitely a melancholy tale of a robot girl who wants to become human by becoming a singer.

Speaking of which, A Tree of Palme is a very Japanese Pinnochio story. It's a little trippy but it's emotional watching him search for what it means to be human... at all costs.

Full Metal Panic 1 and The Second Raid certainly hit harder than I expected for a more action oriented series.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Did anyone say Perfect Blue yet?

If not, Perfect Blue.

ceres on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Goddamnit I knew I saw Clannad at some point, but until I heard the Dango daiKaizoku themesong I remembered the whole thing.

Made me sad just thinking of it :(

Aumni on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Definitely Perfect Blue.

Akira
    Ninja Scroll
    Narutaru
    Battle Angel
    Chrono Crusade

Naruto has some really depressing moments, but it gets really 'broken-wing' sometimes. Fullmetal Alchemist is the same way, where it's so thickly laid on that you almost can't help but laugh at how absurd it is.

Also there's a manga called "LIFE" that I remember liking for what little I read of it. It was a really fucked up view of the life of a high school girl who cuts herself because of bullying and a general lack of self-worth. Not sure if there's an anime yet.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh... if you ever want a manga...

Eden: its an endless world- Its kind of like a Science Fiction version of Berserk (only... no magic and less of a revenge story but think Berserk in a Sci-fi world and you'll kind of get the idea of the mood this manga carries)

Nappuccino on

This discussion has been closed.