Options

Canadian Passport for US travel?

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Really this is something my mom would have last handled, as I havent required one for some time, but with Coachella coming up in 3 months, I suddenly realised this whole passport business affects me and I need to get one straightened out PRONTO.. because it's required now, right?

So what am I up for here, what do I need, where am I going, how long can I expect the whole thing to take?

I've had passports before... do they factor into this at all?

I'm in Edmonton, if it matters.

Deusfaux on

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In 2003 I went to Barbados and had to get a new passport before I could go, after I went in it took about 2 weeks...

But I'm not sure if its necessary for US travel, you should call the border and ask someone there. I did a couple years ago and it turned out Canadian citizens need proof, but not a passport (at that point in time.)

I mention the fact that it required you were Canadian as my dad is a landed immigrant, and therefore didn't take his passport (we didn't think to clarify whether or not after being a landed immigrant for over 10 years it'd apply to him), but had everything they wanted. Long story short, we've been "Officially Deported" from the US now. He had to fly to Chicago on business a couple weeks ago, and they pulled him aside to an interrogation room and detained him for 3 hours, cops talking to him and trying to get information out of him.

Anyway, the moral of that story is just make sure you clarify absolutely EVERY little detail of who you are and what proof of information you have available to you, or every chance they have they'll make your life a living hell.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think you will need a passport. Wasn't there a thread a month or so ago that talked about the new laws concerning this? I think it said they would start requiring a passport sometime in January or Febuary.

Grimm on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    From the Government of Canada FAQ, as of January 23rd of this year, Canadians require a passport to travel to the US by air. If you're crossing the border by land or sea, you don't have to worry about it for at least another year, you can continue to rely on photo ID plus birth certificate. If you are flying, apply for your passport ASAP, do not delay. There have been significant line-ups and delays recently due to the new requirements.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Even if you are going by land, you might as well get your passport. Coachella is in the summer, is it not? YOu have enough time to get your passport, but you should get it sooner rather than later,

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, a passport is for certain required to go to the US via air travel nowadays. I'd suggest starting the process right now, because I've heard the average estimate is 4-5 times what the usual wait is right now, since everyone's left it until the last minute.

If push comes to shove, sometimes talking to your local MP can get the passport fast tracked. I would bet that nowadays though, there's simply no way they can get it sped up.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well thats good to know that if we road trip it, it wont be a big deal

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you really don't need your passport for a few months, you should definitely wait. There's a huge rush on (although it might have died down a bit now that the deadline has passed, but likely not) to get passports and if you don't need yours right away, you're better off not making the lines/waits even longer.

And if you're driving, you won't need it for a couple years yet. That's been covered earlier in the thread though. I'm just saying that you can save yourself and others a lot of time and headache if you hold off on getting your passport. If you're worried about getting one in time, once the rush dies down it should be no problem. I got my passport in October '06 and it only took 7 or 8 business days. It's supposed to take 10 if you take it to the office itself instead of mailing it in (20 if you mail it in), but it can come quicker sometimes.

LaOs on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cycophant wrote:
    Yeah, a passport is for certain required to go to the US via air travel nowadays. I'd suggest starting the process right now, because I've heard the average estimate is 4-5 times what the usual wait is right now, since everyone's left it until the last minute.

If push comes to shove, sometimes talking to your local MP can get the passport fast tracked. I would bet that nowadays though, there's simply no way they can get it sped up.

There is some branch of the government that garuntees your passport in 2 weeks (Or 4 weeks, cant remember) for an extra fee. Its like 90 dollars, but if you need it by then, its worth it. I hear the normal wait for passports is like, 6 months now.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm pretty sure you have to prove its an emergency in that case

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just had my passport done on friday, and coincidently I live in edmonton too so hopefully I can give you an idea waht it's like. The line-ups right now at canada place for passports are insane, I arrived there at 5am and was about 300th in line outside the doors. It took about until noon to get into the actual office and luckily I had completed my application online beforehand so it was only about a 20min wait once I was in the office. If you have proof of travel as in an invoice showing that you already bought your tickets than you can choose to pick up your passport in person and that will save a lot of time, but it costs an extra $10. I get to pick-up mine on the 9th of feb so it really doesn't take all that long for them to get it back. And the total cost was $97 if I remember right.

I'd give yourself about a month before you have to go and than go down in person and get it done, if you want to have them mail the passport to you than add an extra week or 2 to that time to calculate when you need to go get it done. But the lines should be better in a month or 2, and than you won't have to get there at like 5am.

So no don't really worry about it taking like 6months or having to pay extra $90 fees. if you go down there in person you'll be guaranteed to get it back in a month at the most if you have it mailed to you.

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/ for the passport website it'll have all the info you could need, and do the form there instead of on paper, it saves you a good hours wait once you actually get into the passport office.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    did you have your pictures taken and all that done before you got in there?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    did you hear RATM is back for Coachella?

you lucky bastard.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i just heard today that they've repealed that law for a year

you got lucky punk

get it done soon anyway, you don't want to put it off again and be in another bad situation

actually, i'm having trouble verifying this, so don't take it as gospel

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I woulda been all over this sooner, but I had no plans until this past week of going into the US, and possibly by air that that.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:
    did you have your pictures taken and all that done before you got in there?

Yes you have to have your pictures taken professionally by an authorized place, I just went and got mine done at the AMA. Than you need to have your forms completed (I really do suggest doing them online, it will save you like 2-3 hours in the office if your going in person) and than you need to get the pictures and the forms signed by a guaranteer (a doctor,dentist,vet,some other types of professions who's not related to you,it's on there website and the form)

And as for the year extension it's for ground/sea travel only and for people who are already in the us and heading back home, at least thats what I heard anyway.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zeon wrote:
    Cycophant wrote:

There is some branch of the government that garuntees your passport in 2 weeks (Or 4 weeks, cant remember) for an extra fee. Its like 90 dollars, but if you need it by then, its worth it. I hear the normal wait for passports is like, 6 months now.

I'm 99% certain that, though the service is still there and very expensive, there is no guarenteed delivery date but rather "express service," which means that due to the increased number of people getting passports you still wait a long time. Perhaps not as long as with the regular service, but I doubt it would be under a month or two.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    NswyersNswyers Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm actually leaving for NYC tomorrow morning. I don't have a passport.

Here's what we're doing:

Drive from Niagara Falls, Ontario to Buffalo, New York (about 30min)
    Fly from Buffalo Airport to JFK International (1hr 15min)

As far as I know, I do not need a passport since I will not be flying into the US. To cross the border, it will take regular ID as always, and the airport will not ask for a passport for domestic travel.

Here is why: Right now you can cross the border by land with no passport, so why require one to fly domestically? Theoretically, you can travel ANYWHERE within the US without a passport once you're in, so flying anywhere shouldn't require one either; however, in 2008 you will most likely need a passport to travel by land across the border. Whether or not you will be checked AGAIN at an airline is questionable, but doesn't really matter.

Basically, I saved about $500 by travelling into the US to fly to NYC. Toronto Airport is fucking expensive.

Some folks have been telling me I'll be hassled at the border if I tell them I'll be flying to NYC. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't see why they would.. the most I get form the US customs officers is the usual confusion when I tell them I was born in B.C.

"Where's that?"
    "British Columbia"
    "Huh?"
    "The province."
    "Where?"
    "It's a province of Canada."
    "Where is it?"
    "Umm.. west coast?"

Yeah... smart as a whip those folk.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I didn't fill my application out online but got a paper copy from the Shoppers I had my photo taken at (they can take the proper authorised photos), and I didn't have to spend anymore time in the office than it took to pay.

So, if you have your forms all filled out properly, paper or online, with your guaranteeor's signature on the back of your photo and in their section of your paperwork, you shouldn't have to spend any more time in the office than to pay... aside from waiting in line.

I just wanted to clear that up about the two to three hours in the office if you do your forms on paper. Now, if you don't have them completed, it might take hours in the office (if they don't kick you out for wasting time), but that's another ball of wax.

LaOs on
  • Options
    supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The last passport I got was in Edmonton as well.

Any photo place should be able to take passport photos, and will know what's required of them. There's a passport office downtown where you can pick up and drop your forms off with your pictures. It took me about a week to get my passport back, but that was a few years ago. With the new rules, you're better off doing it sooner than later, (which I'm sure you realize).

supertall on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Turns out I already had one from '04 good till '09

woot

why mom kept this from me I dont know

I knew I was all up on this shit; good info here for others at least

Deusfaux on