Options

360 suddenly stopped connecting to Live

CenoCeno pizza timeRegistered User regular
Hey fellas,

I'm in a pickle that seems to have stumped everyone. 360 owner, been connected to Live for 2 years using same configuration.

Two weeks ago, Xbox suddenly stopped connecting to Live. It would connect to the network and the Internet just fine, and stall out connecting to Live itself. I did all the troubleshooting, made sure right ports were open in router, manually configured a new IP address, and it started working again.

Tonight, it stopped again. And nothing seems to get it to connect to Live. I'm not banned. It is an older 360, probably at least four years. It was a warrantly replacement box after my initial one failed.

Could this possibly be a hardware issue with the 360 itself?

Ceno on

• Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Possible DNS resolving issue, checked the router?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My Xbox stopped connecting last night too. Right around the same time. Have you reset the router and retried? For some reason it solved my issue

(My issue was the xbox was connected to router/internet but could only get through 1/2 of the XBL validation before timing out)

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »

I have the suggested ports on the router open, and the two computers connecting through that router aren't having any troubles if that's what you mean. Its a standard Linksys. Is there a specific place I should be looking in all the router configuration technobabble for what you're talking about?

Edit: when I manually reconfigured the IP address for the fifth time last night, it finally connected again, but god knows for how long. I'm wondering if it's the Xbox itself. It's rather old (about 4-5 years), but it connects to the network and Internet just fine. It just hangs when connecting to Live suddenly.

Ceno on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ceno wrote: »

I have the suggested ports on the router open, and the two computers connecting through that router aren't having any troubles if that's what you mean. Its a standard Linksys. Is there a specific place I should be looking in all the router configuration technobabble for what you're talking about?

Edit: when I manually reconfigured the IP address for the fifth time last night, it finally connected again, but god knows for how long. I'm wondering if it's the Xbox itself. It's rather old (about 4-5 years), but it connects to the network and Internet just fine. It just hangs when connecting to Live suddenly.

When i'm talking about dns resolving issue I mean when it's trying to resolve the xbox live servers.

For example, say MS use something like xboxlive.microsoft.com which for this would resolve to 12.34.56.78 and when the xbox is querying your dns server it isn't either responding or it is giving the wrong addresses. (maybe old dns cache entry to the wrong ip)

What i'd do is see whether the dns server address is the router (192.168.0.1 or a variant on that address) in your xbox network config or is your isp dns addresses. I'd recommend simply bypassing your router dns address and inputting your isp's dns address.

As an example test you could input the opendns addresses in your xbox network config to see if it works then.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ceno wrote: »

When i'm talking about dns resolving issue I mean when it's trying to resolve the xbox live servers.

For example, say MS use something like xboxlive.microsoft.com which for this would resolve to 12.34.56.78 and when the xbox is querying your dns server it isn't either responding or it is giving the wrong addresses. (maybe old dns cache entry to the wrong ip)

What i'd do is see whether the dns server address is the router (192.168.0.1 or a variant on that address) in your xbox network config or is your isp dns addresses. I'd recommend simply bypassing your router dns address and inputting your isp's dns address.

As an example test you could input the opendns addresses in your xbox network config to see if it works then.

Oh, yes, I certainly have manually input my ISP's DNS address. It stayed online yesterday so we will see what happens going forward.

Ceno on
  • Options
    PotsyssPotsyss Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    What was the solution to the problem here? Did the DNS fix it? Xbox change server IPs...? I am on a university network and on thursday the rest of the campus along with myself was no longer able to connect to xbox live. It gets half way through to live and then fails.

Potsyss on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Potsyss wrote: »
    What was the solution to the problem here? Did the DNS fix it? Xbox change server IPs...? I am on a university network and on thursday the rest of the campus along with myself was no longer able to connect to xbox live. It gets half way through to live and then fails.

Really just a guess, but if you're on a university network, you may have to convince said network that your Xbox is a computer (i.e. give it the IP address of a computer) again?

Synthesis on