As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Video Pinball] Pinball FX 2 is on the Humble Bundle! Get it now!

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    G Rol wrote: »
    Wow, can't say enough good things about Pinball FX2. The new "machines" are great, and the face-lifted tables from FX1 look fantastic. The real star of the show is the leader board integration; it's really incredible.

There are friends list/global leader boards instantly available per each table, overall combined score at a glance, and an aggregate "super score" based on how many millions of points you've attained. The leader boards are great/horrible for generating a "just one more game" mentality. The tables even have pop ups of your friend's avatars letting you know you're just this close to overtaking their score. Really, really super slick.

I know I sound like a shill, but this is great stuff. Forget achievements, super score is the new e-peen.

Gamertag is in the sig, add me to pump up that wizard score.

BTW, I beat your high score on Agents today. :)

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    G Rol - Single Handedly uniting the Penny-Arcade pinball community one high score at a time.

Which is cool. Setting bars and high scores is what makes pinball more fun and gives motivation to do even better in the long run.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Alright, got the core game but now I'm out of points, nobody on my friends list has this, so GT is my PA handle.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love that all my Pinball FX core and DLC tables have new achievements to try for in FX2.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just picked this up, it's awesome so far. Is it just me, or is the Rome table a little harder than the others? No one on my friends list has the game, so add me to the list! Gamertag= Ratsult2

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    OcculusOcculus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So nobody's mentioned Future Pinball yet. Shame on you all. Fifty lashes with a pasta wang.

FUTURE PINBALL Official Site

Description from the official site above in here:
    Future Pinball is a real time Pinball Development System. It allows you to design and play your very own pinball simulation in True real time 3D. It uses Advanced Physics to provide the best possible Simulation of a true to life pinball machine.

Tables are built up out of Standard components (Plastics, Pegs, Bumpers, Lights etc..) which are placed onto the playfield via the Editor. Objects like Surfaces, Lights and Rubbers are shapeable within the editor and generated real-time when the table is played. Other objects (Bumpers, Flippers, Gates, Triggers, Targets etc..) use pre-made 3d Models (of which there is a nice selection of each type).

The Table logic is scripted in Visual Basic Scripting (via the Microsoft Scripting Technology's built into Microsoft Windows). Scripting is designed to be simple but flexible enough to allow a wide vararity of Original Games to be created. Only a limited subset of the Visual Basic Scripting Language is used as a lot of extra functionality is provided by the game engine.

Full Sound / Music Support is also provided with multiple Music Channels to allow cross fading.

As Future Pinball is a Game Construction Program it contains some advanced concepts which may require a little bit of time (and patience) to learn and fully understand (such as computer graphics and scripting concepts).

1. It's free.
    2. It's a pinball editor that uses scripting for table events, sounds, artwork, etc.
    3. Multiple camera views, adjustable physics, runs on most Win/*nix machines (no Mac version, say sorry).

The only drawback is the inability to import custom-created 3D models into your table. The developers have a conversion tool they are willing to use (last I knew, anyway) to convert your models and then send the importable file to you. I don't know any more information than that; once they release the conversion tool (if ever) I plan to see if I can rebuild Fantastic Journey in Future Pinball (yes, it's that capable).

The best example table I can think of made with this pinball editor is a table called Three Angels. My apologies for the Megaupload link available at that site, but it's the only one I can find.

Three Angels video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAFzdCINEh4&feature=related

I should add that the camera movement in the video is a setting you can change. The camera doesn't always move; I play it with a stationary camera only.

Occulus on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I was going to put it in the op, but so far I haven't gotten it working :(

I tried for about an hour today but each time it froze upon loading up a table.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Awesome review on Eurogamer, 9/10!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-29-download-games-roundup-review?page=1
    Xbox Live Arcade/ Free (Tables 200 Microsoft points each/ £1.70, or in packs of four for 800 Microsoft points/ £6.80)

Pinning us down.

All hail Zen Studios for ensuring that we can all officially shut the hell up about DICE's fantastic early '90s pinball games on the Amiga.

Simulating the ancient art of Pinball might seem like one of the most pointless wastes of time in the history of videogames, but put your preconceptions to one side, and you may be surprised at how much fun they can be. Especially when they've been lavished with as much lifelike attention to detail as Pinball FX 2.

Sensibly, you can try out each of the new tables for free, as well as updated versions of the four tables that featured in the 2007 original (backwardly compatible if you own the original), and new versions of the various downloadable ones as well (again, backwardly compatible if you've bought them already).

In all, you'll have access to 12 excellent tables, each now playable in the new split-screen mode, and benefitting from noticeably improved visuals and a spanking new physics model.

The real genius of this revamped version, though, is the new social gaming features, which lure you back in by letting you know when a friend has topped your score. Even in the two days between the game's release and writing the review, I couldn't help but make sure that EG's own Rich Leadbetter was comprehensively conquered.

Real pinball fanatics will be in tinkering heaven, too, thanks to the ability to fiddle endlessly with all manner of settings. Just don't get into a conversation with anyone who does this, ok?

If you've even vaguely have the urge to flip a steel ball around a pretend pinball table, then Zen have a little something for you. Just don't dare start beating my scores.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also G Rol friend request sent!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't get this game. Why didn't they just call it Zen Pinball? That's what it is. And that's awesome.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BoognishBoognish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think Pinball FX released on 360 before Zen Pinball on PS3.

Originally, the tables in both games were different, so maybe it was to keep the games separate.

Or, maybe it was because of the way you search for games in the 360 marketplace. People might look under P for pinball, but not likely Z.

Or... I got nothing.

Boognish on
    3DS: 5026-4424-9805
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah Pinball FX was out first, so this is Pinball FX 2, with the new tables from Zen, plus you can import all the tables from Pinball FX 1 and anything you bought as DLC, for free, have them all updated awesomely, with a pile of new Achievements for each, too boot.

Throw in some insane friend-assisted-multiplier-leaderboard shenanigans to eat ALL YOUR SPARE TIME.

And this really is one of the best releases on the 360, let alone XBLA.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    A (brief) History of Video Pinball: (If anyone wants me to add, PM me and I'll do what I can).

(more stuff)

Aw, you left off this one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinball_Construction_Set

I used to have that on Commodore 64. It was awesome.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    I don't get this game. Why didn't they just call it Zen Pinball? That's what it is. And that's awesome.

Wait, so does this mean the games are now part of the same ecosystem? Will 360 owners eventually get Mars and Paranormal, and PS3 owners will get Pasha and Rome, with future releases likely synchronous? Because that wouldbe pretty cool.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You're going to pull me back into this, aren't you. Fine, forum. You win. Downloading now.

Gamertag: Celloriffic

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Wait, so does this mean the games are now part of the same ecosystem? Will 360 owners eventually get Mars and Paranormal, and PS3 owners will get Pasha and Rome, with future releases likely synchronous? Because that wouldbe pretty cool.

I wish! The FX tables aren't in Zen Pinball at the moment and vice versa.

For no fucking reason.

Cantido on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So this thread inspired me to pick up Metroid Prime Pinball on my DS again after many months of not playing. You guys must have laid some kind of mojo on me. I nearly tripled my high score for the Tallon Overworld table. It was crazy.

Any of you pinball fans with a DS see it, pick it up. I've found it really entertaining. The Metroid theme works great for pinball tables. Metroid fans may have scoffed, but pinball fans can have a lot of fun with this, I think. I mean, I'm not sure how serious of a simulation it is or anything, but it feels pretty damn solid to me. Lots of fun multiball and bounty quests going on. And whole tables themed around some of the stand out boss fights from Prime.

And on that note, any other good Pinball games for the DS out there? I think the DS really is a good format for pinball in a lot of ways.

Drake on
  • Options
    lpburk2lpburk2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd like to throw my Xbox ID in the mix, please: lpburk2

lpburk2 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    So this thread inspired me to pick up Metroid Prime Pinball on my DS again after many months of not playing. You guys must have laid some kind of mojo on me. I nearly tripled my high score for the Tallon Overworld table. It was crazy.

Any of you pinball fans with a DS see it, pick it up. I've found it really entertaining. The Metroid theme works great for pinball tables. Metroid fans may have scoffed, but pinball fans can have a lot of fun with this, I think. I mean, I'm not sure how serious of a simulation it is or anything, but it feels pretty damn solid to me. Lots of fun multiball and bounty quests going on. And whole tables themed around some of the stand out boss fights from Prime.

And on that note, any other good Pinball games for the DS out there? I think the DS really is a good format for pinball in a lot of ways.

To my knowledge, no. Fuse Games (the guys who made Metroid Prime Pinball, and apparently was formed by a group of developers who made the Pro Pinball games) have only made one other pinball game, and its DSiWare.

Edit: They also made Mario Pinball Land, which isn't that good. If you have a DS Phat or DS Lite, Pokemon Pinball is a really good GBA game. Pinball of the Dead and Sonic Pinball Party are also both serviceable.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Friend requests have been sent and accepted. Stoked to see everyone's superscore. We're all going to be wearing wizard robes soon...

I'm gunning for your crown when I get home from work EyeRChris.

EDIT: Uh, oh...Fraggle's a ringer...

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Talking about old pinball game. I remember getting this as a kind on my game gear and playing the heck out of it. I can't believe how bad it looks nowadays. I think the genisis version was better but I was the kid with no SNES or Sega system other then the Game Gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRzDAGORNQU

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I wish! The FX tables aren't in Zen Pinball at the moment and vice versa.

For no fucking reason.

They both have Excalibur, right? I hold out hope that the ZP tables will come to 360. If not though I will just buy the uniques in ZP.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well isn't this just great. Finally the looong awesome pinball game drought ends the very same day my 360 Red Rings. I guess I get to wait 14 -21 days to play this. I went to the Live website and got it started, though. 10 bucks a table? Oh shit this could get pricey. Hurry up and fix my Box MS!

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think it's $2.50 a table, $10 for a pack of four.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I think it's $2.50 a table, $10 for a pack of four.

This is the correct pricing structure. Two packs of four tables each (the Pinball FX 1 and the Pinball FX 2 Core packs), and the DLC tables. Note: You can't split up a pack and get a table from it a la carte.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Friend requests have been sent and accepted. Stoked to see everyone's superscore. We're all going to be wearing wizard robes soon...

Aww, Fraggle's friend list is full. I'm curious to see what his scores are now.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

THE CROWN IS MINE!!!!

They're all after my crown! Usurpers and betrayers everywhere!

(also Fragglefart - clear some room in your friends list bro. You be full)

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Invites accepted, now you all have someone to pad your leaderboard below you!
    For now... :wink:

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well I took back my superscore crown from you dirty dirty thieves with some authority. I think I bought myself some time for now. Good lord ratsult crushed some of my scores flat out on a few boards...only got the gold ribbon on some of the lesser played tables :(

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The good news is that I'm satisfied with just 4 tables right now. I think I'd need to grab another 17 million somewhere to beat your superscore.

The bad news is I figured out a good strategy for Rome and I feel a pretty high score coming in the next day or two. :winky:

Edit: Also, sent out a bunch of friend requests. You can add me to the OP if you want GT= Ratsult2

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    The good news is that I'm satisfied with just 4 tables right now. I think I'd need to grab another 17 million somewhere to beat your superscore.

The bad news is I figured out a good strategy for Rome and I feel a pretty high score coming in the next day or two. :winky:

Edit: Also, sent out a bunch of friend requests. You can add me to the OP if you want GT= Ratsult2

Rome is such a weird table. Haven't quite got the timing down to hit the Romulas target consistantly. And till I can I will be driven mad because of the acheivement for Romulas multi-ball.

I like the Rocky and Bullwinkle table. But man does it feel like a stiff table. Like an old school table made from wood rather than your fancy tables with bumpers every where, deployable targets, and kick backs. But the music on the other hand is top notch :D

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well I took back my superscore crown from you dirty dirty thieves with some authority. I think I bought myself some time for now. Good lord ratsult crushed some of my scores flat out on a few boards...only got the gold ribbon on some of the lesser played tables :(

Did you just get a huge new high score on Secrets of the Deep? Because I was sure I had beaten you and could have sworn I got a message in-game saying I did, but when I finished up you were way ahead.

Also, anyone try the Street Fighter table?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah Street Fighter is good but really 'heavy', with a sort of full-on-gravity effect, think the table is tilted or something. Worth it for the sound effects, LOL.

Also, just mercilessly cleared out some my Friends List (even mates IRL who don't game often have been culled D:) for those of you that tried to add me - thanks! Should be room now!

Edit: Sent out invites.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah Street Fighter is good but really 'heavy', with a sort of full-on-gravity effect, think the table is tilted or something. Worth it for the sound effects, LOL.

Also, just mercilessly cleared out some my Friends List (even mates IRL who don't game often have been culled D:) for those of you that tried to add me - thanks! Should be room now!

Edit: Sent out invites.

It's also the smallest table. I avoided buying the Ninja Gaiden table out of fear it will be similar.

I do hope Zen Pinball gets the FX tables and FX gets the Zen tables so that everyone can have all the same stuff.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Anyone with both Zen Pinball and Pinball FX 2, how does FX2's new leaderboard system compare to that of ZP? I'm wondering if this is something they will add to an update on the PS3 or if they are now basically the same.

valar-moreshellus.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hmm. I can't say. I like FX's interface a lot more, but unless you have an Elite 360 with HDMI, Zen's tables are dramatically better looking. (That's assume you're using HDMI with your Ps3.)

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but once you pick a game, it's in your best interests to stick with it. And that affects the table's you're going to get first.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think the leaderboard system on FX2 is far superior to Zen Pinball's. Mainly it's the constant reminders that "you're this close" to beating your friend's score. Like Cantido, I think the interface for FX2 is much more streamlined and accessible.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think the leaderboard system on FX2 is far superior to Zen Pinball's. Mainly it's the constant reminders that "you're this close" to beating your friend's score. Like Cantido, I think the interface for FX2 is much more streamlined and accessible.

That's another thing. All my friends are on LIVE D:. I've only recently dusted off my Ps3 for Castlevania.

Cantido on
  • Options
    CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I wish it was a little more restrained. Sometimes you're having a really nice game and hit this magical threshold where suddenly "BEAT DOCTORARCH'S SCORE 1,298,410" pops up and I'm all "oh man oh man oh man oh man noooooooooooooo!"

Drain.

Game over.

Of course, then I start again, and try my best to not look at anything except the playfield.

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Oh, rad. I always thought ZP's felt like a bit of an afterthought, but this level of integration and competition-prodding is exactly what the PS3 game needs. Hopefully this will appear in an update soon or at least a Zen Pinball 2 early next year.

valar-moreshellus.png