As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monitor alternatives, like vid glasses or projectors

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
So monitors are nice, but sometimes I want to be different. HDMI imputs make it easy to hook up to a TV, but what if I want something else?

How far along has tech come to allow me to use video goggles and kill the Rakk nest using my PC?

What about projectors? what models and brands earn the seal of approval from the Penny Arcade boards?

Educate me Penny Arcade, tell me what I want to know or what else i have forgotten.

RoyceSraphim on

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As far as I know, video googles have gone nowhere. Honestly, who wants to shut themself completly out visually of any given environment and which company wants to deal with lawsuits regarding people having household accidents while wearing these things? Having two low res screens in front of you eyes, doesn't make things more immersive - you most likley receive a "virtual boy - like" headache.

If you want something "special" involving glases - "3D shutter glases" have made a comeback. Nvidia has a fairly reliable technology which works with most games and which is affordable (for a niche product). You need a beffy nvidia graphics card, a screen which supports 100 Hz (dunno if a old crt would work) and the nvidia glases. (Might also include "virtual boy - like" headache depending on what person you are)

If you have lots of money to spend (or waste) you could combine this with a "surround screen setup" (3 screens) - I don't know if nvidia cards have 3 video outputs which can be used at the same time, or if you need a 2nd graphic card). Most likley you need a sli setup, to pull this of for more than one screen, because for every frame a second picture needs to be generated.

To complete the setup you could add a head tracking device - only a handfull of games support this. Its basically a camera which follows a marker (on your head - could be an hat, or something you pin on your newly aquired 3D glasses). Depending on the position of your head your alter ego looks left or right, up down in the game. The movement is non - linear - (wouldn't make sense, if you don't have screens arranged behind you)

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    PlanarblightPlanarblight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have a Optoma HD20 1080p projector (~$1000) in the basement. I have a PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, cable box and PC hooked up to it. It looks great with all sources except the Wii because of the low res upconversion, which looks merely 'ok'. I did the install myself and pulling the necessary wiring was easy due to the setup of my basement. Actually mounting the projector was a pain in the dick. I used a $40 Monoprice ceiling mount that worked ok. Overall, I'm very happy with it. 180" screen of win.

Planarblight on