As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lobbyists] NPR: Prison Lobby Created Arizona Immigration Law

MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
When I was a kid, I remember learning how our political system works -- both in the national level and in the state of Texas. We watched school house rock videos on what it meant to create a bill and pass it in congress, and what it meant to elect our officials. And I distinctly remember believing that our elected leaders are supposed to have the best interest of the community in mind, and that's how they made decisions.

But part of growing up means you discover that some things you were taught as a child aren't quite true. Santa isn't real. Your parents don't know everything. And politicians aren't necessarily forming their legislative agendas with the best intentions of the community at heart.

Part of that is understandable. Not all politicians are experts on health insurance, economics, the military, or whatever issue might be at stake on a particular day. And not all of them are even experts on law. So, how do they make their decisions? How do they know what's important and what's not? What legislation to pursue, and what to let die?

Well, someone tells them.

lobbyists.jpg

These guys.

Well, maybe it's not as unequivocal as that. But it certainly seems like it's these guys who are really making decisions in state legislatures around the country. They give money to legislators on behalf of the organizations they work for, they make connections, they make their case, and if they happen to be the most influential voices, they get what they want. Oh, and they often even draft the bills, word for word, that they want passed.

You could say that they are the ones making legislation, and the actual legislators themselves are merely rubber stamps.

Like take this case. Remember the Arizona immigration law that's currently being challenged as unconstitutional by the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as a number of other private groups? You know, the one that's currently blocked from implementation pending a review by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals? The one that Barack Obama said, "undermines basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and our communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe."

Turns out it was totally created by these guys:

Corrections_Corporation_of_America_logo.png

Yep. From an idea in a CCA corporate board meeting to legislation signed by the governor, it was all the direct result of the Prison Lobby.

I'll let NPR tell you more:
NPR wrote:
NPR spent the past several months analyzing hundreds of pages of campaign finance reports, lobbying documents and corporate records. What they show is a quiet, behind-the-scenes effort to help draft and pass Arizona Senate Bill 1070 by an industry that stands to benefit from it: the private prison industry.

The law could send hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants to prison in a way never done before. And it could mean hundreds of millions of dollars in profits to private prison companies responsible for housing them.

Read the whole thing here.

Melkster on

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I guess everyone wants a slice of the exploiting-brown-people pie.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow. Seems like a pretty bad case of rent seeking

Although I do know for a fact parliaments have often relied upon external legislation drafting - where a person or group has pretty much turned up with a pre drafted work and it is largely adopted as submitted. It isn't a new thing - although perhaps scale may differ

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »

Although I do know for a fact parliaments have often relied upon external legislation drafting - where a person or group has pretty much turned up with a pre drafted work and it is largely adopted as submitted. It isn't a new thing - although perhaps scale may differ

True, though it seems worse when the bill they're coming in with aims to throw more people in prison so they can make money off of them.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A local TV affiliate reported this a couple months ago and Rachel Maddow picked it up. It's also not at all surprising.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »

True, though it seems worse when the bill they're coming in with aims to throw more people in prison so they can make money off of them.

Yup, it does seem pretty mad. It is morally equivalent with theft really - but with the sanction of parliament.

If it is any consolation, today in NZ's parliament the government introduced a bill (Employment Relations (Film Production Work) Amendment Bill) and passed it under urgency that made it possible to easily waive employment rights for those in the film or game industries, in order to please Warner Brothers and keep the filming of the Hobbit films in NZ. So, yeah, governments/parliaments do silly things

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A prisons corporation?

What the fuck.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A prisons corporation?

What the fuck.

Arizona privatized the state capitol if I remember right. Like, they sold the actual building and are now leasing it. It's a bizarre place.

Coincidentally, a lot of people happen to escape from the private prisons, as actual security at the prison is expensive.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Like I said in chat, there are places where a profit motive has no place.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    God bless the USA.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A prisons corporation?

What the fuck.

It became a huge thing in the '80s when states were trimming their budgets. The ~*~War On Drugs~*~ also vastly increased the number of inmates. The CCA is the biggest private prison corporation but there are several others.

taoist drunk on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A prisons corporation?

What the fuck.

Personally I find the whole "for profit prisons are terrible" subject more interesting than the lobbyist angle being discussed here. If you're ever looking for an excellent example why, here ya go.

I don't want to delve too deep into the topic here, since it's clearly tangential, but felt it worth mention.

EDIT: The headline of that linked story, if you're on the fence about clicking it, is "Judges Plead Guilty in Scheme to Jail Youths for Profit." Yes, really.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Free market prisons woo!

Henroid on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A prisons corporation?

What the fuck.

The UK has 12 private prisons though they don't seem to be as common as in the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrections_Corporation_of_America
    According to a 2009 study by the MTC Institute, contracted prisons have been successfully used in the US for more than 25 years, and are a viable option to limit costs with¬out compromising service. In the last 20 years states have seen corrections budgets increase 315 percent, from $10.6 billion to $44.06 billion in 2007. With state budgets in crisis and corrections being the fifth largest state budget category, many elected officials are calling for improved performance in corrections systems. A 2009 survey of 30 state correctional agencies, many of which use privately operated correctional facilities; also demonstrated contracted prisons are lower in cost than the public sector by 28 percent. Privately contracted facilities, as of December 2008, now hold 7.8 percent of all adult inmates in the United States, up from 7.4 percent in June 2008, or about 1 in every 13 adults in prison.[36]
    The modern private prison business first emerged and established itself publicly in 1984 when the Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) was awarded a contract to take over a facility in Hamilton County, Tennessee. This marked the first time that any government in the country had contracted out the complete operation of a jail to a private operator.[10] The following year, CCA gained further public attention when it offered to take over the entire state prison system of Tennessee for $200 million. The bid was ultimately defeated due to strong opposition from public employees and the skepticism of the state legislature.[11] Despite that initial defeat, CCA since then has successfully expanded, as have other for-profit prison companies. As of December 2000, there were 153 private correctional facilities (prisons, jails and detention centers) operating in the United States with a capacity of over 119,000.[12]
    I hate this world.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Anybody want to watch me lower prison costs by an absurd amount? I'm guessing I can cut in one third, but I haven't done the math:

Stop jailing people for non-violent drug offenses.

It's like magic!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Anybody want to watch me lower prison costs by an absurd amount? I'm guessing I can cut in one third, but I haven't done the math:

It's like magic!

Now you just need a lobbying organization. Good luck with that.
    CCA and The GEO Group are major contributors to the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), a Washington, D.C. based public policy organization that develops model legislation that advances tough-on-crime legislation and free-market principles such as privatization.

Under their Criminal Justice Task Force, ALEC has developed and helped to successfully implement in many states “tough on crime” initiatives including “Truth in Sentencing” and “Three Strikes” laws. Corporations provide most of the funding for ALEC’s operating budget and influence its political agenda through participation in policy task forces. ALEC’s corporate funders include CCA and The GEO Group. In 1999, CCA made the President’s List for contributions to ALEC’s States and National Policy Summit; Wackenhut also sponsored the conference. Past cochairs of the Criminal Justice Task Force have included Brad Wiggins, then Director of Business Development at CCA and now a Senior Director of Site Acquisition, and John Rees, a former CCA vice president.

By funding and participating in ALEC’s Criminal Justice Task Forces, critics argue, private prison companies directly influence legislation for tougher, longer sentences.[26] The legal system may also be manipulated more directly: in one case (Mid-Atlantic Youth Services Corp) a private prison company was found guilty of paying two judges[27] $2.6m to send 2000 children to their prisons.[28][29]

Couscous on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

It's like magic!

Someone isn't thinking of the children!

Henroid on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

It's like magic!

Someone isn't thinking of the [tiny]massive profit that we can make off of the[/tiny] children!

Phyphor on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey: I can incarcerate two people in my apartment for the low, low price of $1,000 per head per month. That includes food, security, medical, and housing. It's like house arrest, but they don't get the peace and comfort of living in their own house.

Oh hey my wife won't let me allow them in the actual house so I'm going to have to tie them to the railing on my front porch.

State Governments: please contact me for details via PM. Special preference given to non-documented immigrants awaiting deportation because I loves me some enchiladas but who has the time to cook them?

SammyF on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    A prisons corporation?

What the fuck.

Personally I find the whole "for profit prisons are terrible" subject more interesting than the lobbyist angle being discussed here. If you're ever looking for an excellent example why, here ya go.

I don't want to delve too deep into the topic here, since it's clearly tangential, but felt it worth mention.

EDIT: The headline of that linked story, if you're on the fence about clicking it, is "Judges Plead Guilty in Scheme to Jail Youths for Profit." Yes, really.

The fact that we elect most judges (aside from Federal, obviously) is another horrible, horrible thing. Our whole criminal justice system is pretty screwed up. No small part of that problem is the structural issues of State and Local government to varying degrees. It's kind of maddening really, until you realize that things somehow used to be even worse.

moniker on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A prisons corporation?

What the fuck.

we've had prison corporations for decades now. Wackenhut is a big one in California and elsewhere, i believe. There is a bizarre/terrible/funny saga of a 6,000 bed private prison going unused near San Diego that the private prison company is just trying to get filled with somebody, anybody. Illegals are the new craze, they used to be sent directly back to Mexico (almost regardless of where they were actually from) but now they sit around in prison for a while.
    SammyF wrote: »
    Hey: I can incarcerate two people in my apartment for the low, low price of $1,000 per head per month. That includes food, security, medical, and housing. It's like house arrest, but they don't get the peace and comfort of living in their own house.

Oh hey my wife won't let me allow them in the actual house so I'm going to have to tie them to the railing on my front porch.

State Governments: please contact me for details via PM. Special preference given to non-documented immigrants awaiting deportation because I loves me some enchiladas but who has the time to cook them?

Springfield Elementary school turned to this solution to meet their budget woes.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The fact that we elect most judges (aside from Federal, obviously) is another horrible, horrible thing. Our whole criminal justice system is pretty screwed up. No small part of that problem is the structural issues of State and Local government to varying degrees. It's kind of maddening really, until you realize that things somehow used to be even worse.
    The Supreme Court is working on making it worse than it was.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You'd almost think that prisons, police officers, and correctional officers had some sort of financial incentive to push for laws that are terrible for the country.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned this before now, though?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    You'd almost think that prisons, police officers, and correctional officers had some sort of financial incentive to push for laws that are terrible for the country.

<3

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited October 2010

In South Georgia, officials fucked people over for years before being called out on it.
    http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/05/doing-time-on-their-own-dime-more-states-charging-inmates-for-stays-in-jail-prison.html
    In some cases, jails in the South have charged people room and board fees even before inmates were convicted of any crime. For more than 15 years the Clinch County Jail in Homerville, Ga. charged those in its custody a daily room and board fee. Since many people were too poor to pay the fees upon their release, the county sheriff would require them to sign notes promising to pay the fees in installments, or return to jail. Following a lawsuit by the SCHR in 2006, the county was forced to repay money to several inmates who had been made to pay a $18 per-day fee for their time in custody before their conviction. One of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit - Willie Williams Jr. - had been charged a $4,608 "room and board" bill for his time behind bars even though he had not yet been convicted.

In 2006, the SCHR also filed a petition on behalf of Georgia resident Ora Lee Hurley. A court had ordered Hurley incarcerated until she paid a $705 fine for a 15-year-old drug conviction. But Hurley couldn't pay the fine because she had to pay the Georgia Department of Corrections $600 a month for room and board. Hurley spent nearly a year in prison - from a 120-day sentence -- due to her inability to pay the fine before the SCHR was able to get her released.
    The convicted continue to be fucked over throughout Georgia.
    Charging inmates for their own incarceration - also known as "pay-to-stay" fees - is a trend that began about 20 years ago in Alabama, and soared in popularity around the country under the "tough-on-crime" policies of the Reagan and Clinton eras. By 2004 about one-third of the county jails in the United States had policies charging inmates for their own incarceration. During that same time period more than 50% of state correctional systems also had pay-to-stay fees. Some of these fees were collected through the inmate's bank account during incarceration and others through civil litigation aimed at a prisoner's estate or properties once they were released.

The trend, while not new, is quickly gaining popularity again around the country as the recession deepens. Some counties want to charge inmates the actual cost of care per day - as much as $45 - $60 in some places. That means a year behind bars could cost an inmate more than $16,000. Besides charging inmates for room, board, clothing and other related costs, some prisons - including ones in North Carolina, Virginia, and Florida - charge inmates every time they get written up for breaking the rules. Several states in the South also charge probationers monthly fees for seeing a probation officer.
    In a more controversial policy, several states also charge inmates for their medical and dental needs. In Georgia last month, Gov. Sonny Perdue signed a measure into law giving state prisons more power to charge inmates for their medical costs while behind bars. This is a fee that state and county corrections officials can deduct from inmates' accounts. While several prisons around the country charge co-pays for medical procedures, prison rights advocates have argued that this is a dangerous trend. They point out that these policies not only create a system where only privileged inmates have access to care, but it also runs the risk of allowing the spread of illnesses like Hepatitis C among inmates because they are discouraged from seeking treatment.
    Fucking assholes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm convinced more and more that any time the government charges a fine, they should legally be required to take the money and burn it. Let it trickle back in after the treasury prints more.

No way in fuck should we be giving people economic incentives to oppress others.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wowzers.

This is fucked.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Not too surprising, given the near-incestuous shady backroom dealings that have almost every dysfunctional faction in every other dysfunctional faction's financial pants in this country - to the detriment of the people.

Just another fine example of it to be set up with the others in a nice line like ducks in a row. Ugh.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    America, how the hell did your country get so fucked up?!

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »

Derp derp, tough on crime, derp derp, prisons are too nice, derp derp.

Couscous on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    to be fair, making laws for the benefit of corporations and the profit of business is as american as apple pie selling indian land dirt cheap to land speculators.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »

Step 1: Find some middle-class people.
    Step 2: Tell them that if they work hard, they can get rich.
    Step 3: Wait until they don't get rich. Tell them that the reason they're not getting rich is because taxes are too high.
    Step 4: When they ask where taxes are going, show them pictures of people on welfare and inmates with televisions.
    Step 5: Profit!

Feral on

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's very hard to make people care about inmates or pretty much anything in the prison/corrections programs.
    Prison is where bad people go and Good Folk(tm) don't need to worry about it. Ever. So, just forget it it exists and let the State figure it out.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    zeeny wrote: »
    It's very hard to make people care about inmates or pretty much anything in the prison/corrections programs.
    Prison is where bad people go and Good Folk(tm) don't need to worry about it. Ever. So, just forget it it exists and let the State figure it out.

Some people still have the idea that making prison more uncomfortable increases its power as a deterrent.

The effect of punishment severity on deterrence is weak at best.

Feral on

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

In South Georgia, officials fucked people over for years before being called out on it.
    http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/05/doing-time-on-their-own-dime-more-states-charging-inmates-for-stays-in-jail-prison.html
    In some cases, jails in the South have charged people room and board fees even before inmates were convicted of any crime. For more than 15 years the Clinch County Jail in Homerville, Ga. charged those in its custody a daily room and board fee. Since many people were too poor to pay the fees upon their release, the county sheriff would require them to sign notes promising to pay the fees in installments, or return to jail. Following a lawsuit by the SCHR in 2006, the county was forced to repay money to several inmates who had been made to pay a $18 per-day fee for their time in custody before their conviction. One of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit - Willie Williams Jr. - had been charged a $4,608 "room and board" bill for his time behind bars even though he had not yet been convicted.

In 2006, the SCHR also filed a petition on behalf of Georgia resident Ora Lee Hurley. A court had ordered Hurley incarcerated until she paid a $705 fine for a 15-year-old drug conviction. But Hurley couldn't pay the fine because she had to pay the Georgia Department of Corrections $600 a month for room and board. Hurley spent nearly a year in prison - from a 120-day sentence -- due to her inability to pay the fine before the SCHR was able to get her released.
    The convicted continue to be fucked over throughout Georgia.
    Charging inmates for their own incarceration - also known as "pay-to-stay" fees - is a trend that began about 20 years ago in Alabama, and soared in popularity around the country under the "tough-on-crime" policies of the Reagan and Clinton eras. By 2004 about one-third of the county jails in the United States had policies charging inmates for their own incarceration. During that same time period more than 50% of state correctional systems also had pay-to-stay fees. Some of these fees were collected through the inmate's bank account during incarceration and others through civil litigation aimed at a prisoner's estate or properties once they were released.

The trend, while not new, is quickly gaining popularity again around the country as the recession deepens. Some counties want to charge inmates the actual cost of care per day - as much as $45 - $60 in some places. That means a year behind bars could cost an inmate more than $16,000. Besides charging inmates for room, board, clothing and other related costs, some prisons - including ones in North Carolina, Virginia, and Florida - charge inmates every time they get written up for breaking the rules. Several states in the South also charge probationers monthly fees for seeing a probation officer.
    In a more controversial policy, several states also charge inmates for their medical and dental needs. In Georgia last month, Gov. Sonny Perdue signed a measure into law giving state prisons more power to charge inmates for their medical costs while behind bars. This is a fee that state and county corrections officials can deduct from inmates' accounts. While several prisons around the country charge co-pays for medical procedures, prison rights advocates have argued that this is a dangerous trend. They point out that these policies not only create a system where only privileged inmates have access to care, but it also runs the risk of allowing the spread of illnesses like Hepatitis C among inmates because they are discouraged from seeking treatment.
    Fucking assholes.

face palming so hard right now.

This could financially destroy someone for the rest of their life if they were in long enough

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    This could financially destroy someone for the rest of their life if they were in long enough

That almost sounds like a workable plan there!

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Feral wrote: »

Some people still have the idea that making prison more uncomfortable increases its power as a deterrent.

Just look how much crime there is in Norway compared to the USA with their whole 75 out of 100,000 in prison compared to our glorious 750 out of 100,000 in prison.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

Just look how much crime there is in Norway compared to the USA with their whole 75 out of 100,000 in prison compared to our glorious 750 out of 100,000 in prison.

Too cold to do crime.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The NPR article seemed to tie a strong link to CCA pushing for the bill, but no real evidence that the initiative actually originated from them.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So how is it again that a corporation, which seeks only to expand and maximize profits, is legally allowed to run an operation whose only purpose is to detain people for lengths of time?

Doesn't this give you a sense of being, like, fundamentally wrong and counter to the very idea of prison rehabilitation?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    But invoking the market lets you hand wave those problems away. It's a magic rhetorical device.

enlightenedbum on