As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Losing bandwidth because of router

cctex823cctex823 Registered User regular
Upgraded to charters 25Mbps internet service. I have a linksys WRT54G V4 with latest DD-WRT firmware. I got a modem with docsis 3.0. When I connect to the modem directly, I get the full 25 Mbps download 3Mbps upload (using a mid-2010 Macbook Pro). When I connect using wireless g or directly connected to the router, i get around 12-16 Mbps but still the full 3Mbps upload.

I upgraded the firmware, tried a windows pc, knocking off all other dhcp leases, rebooting everything. I guess i'm just short of buying a new router. Maybe I'll reset my router to factory defaults (DD-WRT and Linksys firmware). Not sure what to try next.

edit: And if I do end up getting a new router, which one?

datnguyensig1.jpg
cctex823 on

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wireless G has a maximum data transfer ability. You're probably brushing up on it. We have 30 mbps with our Fiber around here, and our G router only lets me pull down ~1.2 Meg a second. Though I have a wireless N receiver on my computer. Upgrading to an N router would likely fix your issue there.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The throughput on g is around 19Mb per sec and will degrade if you have any Wireless B units accessing it. I remember reading that it would default to wireless B which I think was around 11Mb throughput if any B devices were connected to the router.

I havent used WRT so I am not sure if it has the same issues. I bit the bullet and upgraded to a N router and I see much better Mbs with it.

Jubal77 on