As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need some help, Speakers have suddenly reversed channels

ApostateApostate PrinceSpaceRegistered User regular
I have a Logitech 5.1 X-540 speaker set. Up until today everything worked fine. But a little while ago when I started up Civ V I noticed the audio sounded goofy. I quit out of the game and now my audio channels seem to be permanently reversed. The rear sound coming out of my front 3 speakers and the front sound coming out of the two rear speakers. Sub seems to work as normal.

I thought it might be my sound card (X-fi extreme gamer) so I updated the drivers. No luck. I tried the onboard sound and it did the same thing. Tried rebooting as wells as unplugging and replugging in all the speakers and powercables on the speakers. Sound is still coming out wrong.

I have to believe it's something with the computer itself since both the onboard and the x-fi are both doing it. I guess it could be the speakers but it seems strange that it would just start doing it out of the blue.

Can't seem to find out anything relevant on the internet. So if somebody has any ideas on how to fix this please don't be shy.

Edit: On further review they may not be reversed. It seems the front 3 speakers are just very quiet while the rears and sub are loud as hell. So I really don't know what is going on.

Apostate on

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've got the same speaker/card combo, and it does the same thing with me from time to time. Things that have worked for me in the past are switching which holes I plug the various speakers into, so that they match the new random output arrangement, or using the control panel to switch the output to a headset and back. Those both help for a while, but I'll be fucked if I can find a way to make them play nice permanently. If you find something out I'd love to hear it.

PolloDiablo on
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've got the same speaker/card combo, and it does the same thing with me from time to time. Things that have worked for me in the past are switching which holes I plug the various speakers into, so that they match the new random output arrangement, or using the control panel to switch the output to a headset and back. Those both help for a while, but I'll be fucked if I can find a way to make them play nice permanently. If you find something out I'd love to hear it.

Well it turns out the channels were not reversed. The front speakers were not even working. What I had assumed to be them but quiet was actually the sub unit itself. ON the sub unit it has a low-midrange ambient speaker in it. That's actually what I was hearing. After doing a lot of cable shuffling and calling support it turns out the front speaker ports aren't working. As mine is still in warranty, I'm sending it back to them on their dime and they are going to be sending a new one as replacement. Since the X-540 is no longer made by them they are sending me the latest equivalent model. So I might make out well after all.

So if you're still having issues and it's in warranty, that might be something to think about.

Apostate on