As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

POST error

agoajagoaj Top TierOne FearRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Getting a POST failed error on my asus m2n sli motherboard. I'm able to boot anyways, but I've been ignoring this for a year and I think it's why I'm bsoding from hardware issues now. Is there anyway to see why the POST failed, or do I have to just start swapping things out and go by process of elimination?

I have run memtest so at least I don't think it's the memory.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
agoaj on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Did it give you beeps? How many? Were they long or short?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Do you have a PCI-e video card? Could be the culprit - that board has issues with PCI-e 2.0 compatibility

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Did it give you beeps? How many? Were they long or short?

I neglected to install the speaker.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, I would install the speaker, or see if the BIOS has an option to output to the soundcard (if it's builtin sometimes this will work).

Could also be the thing Spudge mentioned.

Go into the BIOS and turn off "quick boot mode" or whatever the equivalent is. Should give you enough time to see what the error message is as well.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Well, I would install the speaker, or see if the BIOS has an option to output to the soundcard (if it's builtin sometimes this will work).

Could also be the thing Spudge mentioned.

Go into the BIOS and turn off "quick boot mode" or whatever the equivalent is. Should give you enough time to see what the error message is as well.

I have no problem seeing the error, it requires me to press f1 to continue.
    ****Warning: System BOOT Fail****
    Your system lsat boot fail or POST interrupted. Please enter setup to load default and reboot again.

I've tried setting the defaults and clearing the cmos.

I wonder if I can scavenge a speaker from an old laptop.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah the beep codes are going to be the most helpful. Though, it appears to be dead.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah the beep codes are going to be the most helpful. Though, it appears to be dead.

I got the speaker installed, it makes one beep, which is universal for everything is ok right?

I mean, it could be a driver issue, but that doesn't explain why the POST fails, with no error codes.

It's using Award BIOS 6.00PG.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So when you hit F1 you can boot right? If so, boot to safe mode and invoke a full HDD check
    Start
    Run
    cmd
    chkdsk /r

It'll say it can't unmount the drive, would you like to do a full scan at next start up. Say yes then reboot the system. Let the chkdsk do its work and reboot again

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot