As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Am I Being Selfish?

13»

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Getting a space heater will probably be a good idea, but I would wait for things to settle down and then bring it up as its own separate issue. If you just go out and buy one now that could come off as you not listening to her or trying to buy her off, depending on how you guys split money.

I'm not saying to buy a space heater so you can use that to say "Hey, you HAVE AN OFFICE, GO THERE!", i'm saying buy a spaceheater so the office wont be cold period. Make sure she knows that you did it because you ARE listening to her needs and you do care about her.

She plans on going into the other room when he gets home so I don't see why buying a space heater for it would cause any issues. OP doesn't have to buy her one, it'd be a pretty big 'thinking of you' gift that not everyone can afford.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    Djeet wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Heres what I dont get...typing isnt loud.

Ahem. And I'd have probably brought mine out to type on if I was treated like the OP, but that's probably not the most mature way to handle the situation.

I have one of these from the 80's or so that my husband dumpster-dived for outside the back of a police station in the bad part of town about 10 years ago. It is one of my favorite things ever, but if your keyboard even approaches being that loud, I could see how someone who was trying to work might take badly to it.

edit: I have just been corrected. Apparently he took it out of the evidence locker. o_O

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Getting a space heater will probably be a good idea, but I would wait for things to settle down and then bring it up as its own separate issue. If you just go out and buy one now that could come off as you not listening to her or trying to buy her off, depending on how you guys split money.

I'm not saying to buy a space heater so you can use that to say "Hey, you HAVE AN OFFICE, GO THERE!", i'm saying buy a spaceheater so the office wont be cold period. Make sure she knows that you did it because you ARE listening to her needs and you do care about her.

She plans on going into the other room when he gets home so I don't see why buying a space heater for it would cause any issues. OP doesn't have to buy her one, it'd be a pretty big 'thinking of you' gift that not everyone can afford.

For what it's worth, you can get a great spaceheater for around 20 bucks.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Some of you are really overreacting to the compromise. It's a reasonable compromise. And people should really stop asserting that she shouldn't be bothered by typing simply because it doesn't bother them. The brain's a funny little machine. Our ears don't filter out all the background noise around us, our brain filters that out after the signals are transmitted from the auditory nerves. Your hearing center in your brain filters out noise that seems unimportant and focuses on noise (such as speech) that seems important and relevant. This doesn't work perfectly though and varies from person to person, and some people (I suspect this is true of me to some extent) aren't able to just filter out some noises, unavoidably and frustratingly finding themselves paying attention to them. So stop asserting that she shouldn't be bothered by the keystrokes.

The simple fact is, she overreacted at first but they found a compromise that's reasonable. Unless she freaks the fuck out again, this is over.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    joraxjorax Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I only read the first page, but my girlfriend gets really annoyed by certain sounds. For example, she hates when I chew gum despite the fact that I am a quiet chewer, don't pop it, and have never received complaints from anyone else in my 30+ years on this planet. She also doesn't like my typing because "it sounds like you are just mashing keys" as I type pretty fast (on a rather quiet keyboard I might add).

These complaints are not about "something else," there is no other issue, she is just really incredibly annoyed by small sounds sometimes. But only by me. We can be in the presence of other people who are making annoying smacking sounds while chewing or even talking while eating (which even bugs me) and she won't say a word or even notice when I ask her later. She just has incredibly unrealistic expectations that I won't ever do something (even unintentionally) that annoys her. So uh... good luck. We still struggle with this stupid thing and usually she leaves the room and is annoyed for several hours if I slip up. I did stop chewing gum for her though, and got a quieter keyboard to try and compromise, but it still comes up sometimes.

jorax on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ceres wrote: »
    Djeet wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Heres what I dont get...typing isnt loud.

Ahem. And I'd have probably brought mine out to type on if I was treated like the OP, but that's probably not the most mature way to handle the situation.

I have one of these from the 80's or so that my husband dumpster-dived for outside the back of a police station in the bad part of town about 10 years ago. It is one of my favorite things ever, but if your keyboard even approaches being that loud, I could see how someone who was trying to work might take badly to it.

edit: I have just been corrected. Apparently he took it out of the evidence locker. o_O

Didn't you know? Space heaters are the weapon of choice for thugs and hoodlums.

Anyway. Good to see that you reached a compromise with your girlfriend, OP. I think we've all been in a scenario like this at some point or another.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    Rikushix wrote: »

What. That post is about a keyboard.

Anyway, lay off the compromise, people. If each person gives a little and gets something, and is okay with what they gave and got in the end, the compromise is reasonable. In fact, this is particular compromise pretty much meets the very definition of "compromise". I have a feeling some of you think it means "one party completely caves because I think they're unreasonable". Rest assured, it does not.

So yeah. No one is being unreasonable here. Drop it.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    OP here with an update. I got her a heater today and everything is going good =)

Thanks for all the fine advice everyone, it is much appreciated. You are a fine bunch of ladies and gentlemen.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ceres wrote: »
    Rikushix wrote: »

What. That post is about a keyboard.

Oops. No idea what I was reading there.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That's awesome CasedOut, happy to hear it.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.