As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Card games to play

KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in PAX Archive
Hi there!

So my husband and I have been trying to get more into card games. I know there are a ton out there, and I find it really confusing trying to decide based off the information on the back of a box. I know some people on here were talking about starting up games with random people in line, so I figured I'd take some suggestions.

So far we have tried Fluxx, which we both really like. I believe we tried Munchkin Cthulu, as well.

So what are your favorite card games and why? Please provide a small description of the game as well! :)

Ln5yLL7.png
Krissta on

• Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think my current favorite card games are Dominion, and Race for the Galaxy.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Krissta wrote: »
    Hi there!

So my husband and I have been trying to get more into card games. I know there are a ton out there, and I find it really confusing trying to decide based off the information on the back of a box. I know some people on here were talking about starting up games with random people in line, so I figured I'd take some suggestions.

So far we have tried Fluxx, which we both really like. I believe we tried Munchkin Cthulu, as well.

So what are your favorite card games and why? Please provide a small description of the game as well! :)

In addition to those already mentioned, I like Set (multiplayer pattern matching). There's also San Juan, which is a simpler version of Race for the Galaxy, and Bohnanza, which is a trading game with adorable bean art.

Please come join us in the Board Games thread! I'm sure the folks there will have some more ideas for you.

antherem on
  • Options
    LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you are looking for games similar to Fluxx the different versions are always fun (Monty Pyhon Fluxx is my favorite.) If you are looking for something to do outside of waiting in line there is always Chrononauts if you are into history at all. There are also variations on that as well like Back to the Future versions.

I preferred Fluxx myself.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • Options
    klzklz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    For waiting in line games, you'll want to have shorter games and I should mention the Evil Genius people do an amazing job of entertaining you anyway, so that can slow down game playing.

Several good and short card games I enjoy (and are also friendly to new players):

Coloretto - you are trying to collect cards in certain colors to earn points, but too many colors will hurt you! Interestingly enough, it is also one of the most colorblind friendly games despite the name and gameplay.

No Thanks! - Cards are worth their face value in points and points are bad. You can pay a chip to pass on taking the card, or take the card plus all of the chips on it. You will run low on chips if you do not take cards, but if you can get a series of consecutive valued cards, you only score the lowest valued card. Leftover chips at the end of the game are subtracted from the points you've scored. Lowest score at the end of the game wins.

Poison - 3 cauldrons to play the three colors of potions in. The cauldrons can hold 13 units of liquid and if it overflows, you must take the cards that were previously left in the cauldrons. These are worth points and points are bad, but if you have the most of a given color, you do not score them. Poison counts as points no matter what, however. The person with the lowest score after several rounds wins.

klz on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Limond wrote: »
    If you are looking for games similar to Fluxx the different versions are always fun (Monty Pyhon Fluxx is my favorite.) If you are looking for something to do outside of waiting in line there is always Chrononauts if you are into history at all. There are also variations on that as well like Back to the Future versions.

I preferred Fluxx myself.

I really wanted to get the Monty Python Fluxx, so I'm glad you said it's good! :)

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    antherem wrote: »
    Krissta wrote: »
    Hi there!

In addition to those already mentioned, I like Set (multiplayer pattern matching). There's also San Juan, which is a simpler version of Race for the Galaxy, and Bohnanza, which is a trading game with adorable bean art.

Please come join us in the Board Games thread! I'm sure the folks there will have some more ideas for you.

Oh, awesome! Thanks so much! I don't really travel these boards like I should. ;)

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Find "We Didn't Playtest This at All". It's very fun, and plays quickly.

Munchkin was fun at PAX last year, but you really need a hotel lobby, and a big table, some strangers, and some alcohol. (well, those were the rules when they taught me to play)

macrogeek on
  • Options
    ThreeveThreeve Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Killer Bunnies has become a weekly game for my group. You can get all the add ons and it gets pretty crazy keeping track of all the different stuff going on. They also have a remix version which takes pieces from the add ons and plays a bit faster.

Threeve on
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dominion is fantastic, and easy to learn.
    It's also good practice to learn how to build decks for the true king of card games, Magic: the Gathering

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    At Prime I was introduced to Ascension and loved it! It's not a line-friendly game, but it is tons of fun. It's generally listed as a board game, but I think of it as a card game. It's really all about the cards and the board is just sort of a place holder (deck goes here, dead cards go here, etc.)
    Threeve: While on my search to buy Ascension (it was seriously hard to find in a store), I saw that Killer Bunnies game. Wanted to try it based on name alone, but I don't have a game group here and didn't want to buy a game I never played which might turn out to suck.
    Krissta: It looks like you live near me (Manchester is about 30 minutes form me). Maybe we can set up some game nights together? (PM if you want to discuss more)

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    ThreeveThreeve Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Punzie, I got to try Killer Bunnies at PAX East last year, it was in the tabletop freeplay library. I had a lot of fun playing and I'm lucky that my local game shop has games for rent so I could let my group try it before buying it.

Threeve on
  • Options
    atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Could always play Yu Gi Oh with those duelist arm thingees that hold your cards XD

atiari on
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you think Munchkin isn't the king of card games than you haven't played it with all the decks mixed. Alas, at Pax, I can't run that version of the game as it needs a dedicated start time and guaranteed table space (and a lot of it).

If you do mix the decks, though (well, not actually mix. That would be very messy and would take all day to separate after you finished. I use a dice system to determine which deck you get cards from) the weirdest things can happen. I ran a game where someone rose 12 levels in one turn, but the combo of cards that allow that to happen can only happen if you mix all the decks.

Magic is a good game (I played it a long time ago) and it's a better game to play in line than Munchkin is (uses less space and is faster to play).
    I'm also very fond of Gloom.
    If you've got enough people and can sit in a circle, I'd suggest Bang. It'll hold up to 8 players and the more the merrier, as they say.
    Cow Poker, from SJ Games, is a short game that will hold 4 people.

And why limit things just to card games? Zombie dice is perfect for lines.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm trying to get a PAX themed version of Pit put together. I have a few commodities figured out, but I really would like help finishing it.
    100 - Omeganauts
    85 - Enforcers
    80 - Rockers (???)
    75 - Exhibitors
    65 - Panelists
    60 - Cosplayers
    55 - Forumers
    50 - Attendees

Bull - Wil Wheaton??
    Bear - Evil Wil Wheaton??

The numbers are still fairly arbitrary, but they are the current games point system. As for Bear and Bull, I was thinking of doing Merch and Fleshreaper, but A) copyright issues are things I just want to avoid, and B) they aren't really PAX related so much as they are Penny Arcade related.

EDIT: I came up with the rest of the card assignments, but I actually do want to know what you all think. Can you let me know?

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    macrogeek wrote: »

What he said. This game is funny, fast and there are barely any rules. Most cards will make someone win or loose in a silly fashion. For example one person may play a card that asks everyone to do rock paper sicsors in three, two, one... At which point the person who drew the card declares that anyone who played "paper" looses. Of course, there are many variants of the same card, so you just never know.

The trick to play this game well is to have more than three players, else the games last almost as many hands. The more people play with you the funnier the results.

Other games that I liked but are probably not line friendly are Chez Geek and Illuminati. Both are by Steve Jackson. The later one is where I have found some of the best game related memories, but I fear it will be taken out of context seeing that most of the cards where related to events and personalities of the time.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    what's the general feeling at pax about teaching games to new folks? I really want to get into more card and board games, and while i'll certainly check some out between now and then, pax seems like a great opportunity to discover some new things. based on these forums, people seem pretty cool about it, but I know others don't like new players slowing their gameplay.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've always found people to be totally open to teaching me (and others) new games. Specifically, during the the unofficial boardgame nights, I'd ask to just sit and socialize with people I didn't know, and they would offer to restart their game to include me and teach me the game. Especially towards the end of the con when people have picked up new games that they've maybe only played once or twice themselves.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Illuminati could be a line game but you'd have to be in line a long time. It's usually not a short game. Also, the fact the cards relate to real-life events or things makes it all the sweeter to play (not so much for the kids, but for us old-timers it's a trip down memory lane, although the newer decks aren't that far back, and the latest expantion came out last month).

Please, as I have said in other threads, do not be shy about asking a GM or a group if you can play a game. If you pass a booth with games set up in it, stop and say hi. They live to show you how to play the game. if you see someone sitting at a table with a game set up in front of him or a bunch of games sitting on the table in front of him, stop and say hi. They're a GM and they live to show you how to play a game.
    If you hang around THQ you'll find groups of people coming in to borrow a game. Ask them if you can join them. The worst they can say is that they are full, meaning they already have enough players to fill the game.
    Take advantage of it if you attend. As a GM, I don't want to sit there twitilling my thumbs all day waiting for players, I want to show people how to play games. Take advantage of the fact that the GMs are there and all you have to do to learn how to play a game, old or new, is to ask.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Some great, portable card games that I'm probably going to bring:

Citadels -- This is a good one. It's both strategic and social, and scales well for a varying number of players.

Coloretto -- Mentioned previously. Another fun game

These 3 are a bit "thinkier" and quieter, but great if you're into strategy stuff:
    Lost Cities
    Battle Line
    San Juan

DeliciousTacos on
  • Options
    Electric PiElectric Pi Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    My all time favorite card game is Cthulhu 500. H.P. Lovecraft + auto racing FTW!

I also like Kung Fu Samurai on Giant Robot Island. I've only played Falling a few times, but I like it. Set is good.

Electric Pi on
    Rally = Real cars, on real roads, going real fast.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Frugus wrote: »
    macrogeek wrote: »

What he said. This game is funny, fast and there are barely any rules. Most cards will make someone win or loose in a silly fashion. For example one person may play a card that asks everyone to do rock paper sicsors in three, two, one... At which point the person who drew the card declares that anyone who played "paper" looses. Of course, there are many variants of the same card, so you just never know.

The trick to play this game well is to have more than three players, else the games last almost as many hands. The more people play with you the funnier the results.

Other games that I liked but are probably not line friendly are Chez Geek and Illuminati. Both are by Steve Jackson. The later one is where I have found some of the best game related memories, but I fear it will be taken out of context seeing that most of the cards where related to events and personalities of the time.

That sounds perfect! I put it on my Christmas list. :mrgreen:

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png