As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Super Mutants and Deathclaws and Geckos OH MY

• Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know, I started this playthrough tagging melee, science, and speech. I did guns/lockpick/repair my first time through, so what the hell, try something new.

By the time I reached Primm, I started to really miss my guns. So now I'm doing...guns/lockpick/speech (with repair about equal with those skills at this point). One of my "problems" with these wide-open RPGs (Oblivion, FO3) is that once I find a build I like, that's about it for me. I can replay the game 4 times, and play the same build every time.

I still have a lot of fun every time, but I am terrible at getting used to something new.

Graviija on
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have turned my courier and all the companions into special forces. everyone has black combat armour (except lily - dont think she can wear it., and veronica who is in t51-b power armour. Everyone is wearing a beret or a combat helmet. and everyone has a role (determinded by weapons. Cass is explosives, boone is the sniper, Arcade is the tech guy (with a laser RCW) Raul is the mechanic, lily has a mingun for fire support, and veronica hits people in the face. Rex is the mascot and Ed-e is our pack mule for carrying things. this leaves the courier as the leader/all rounder.
    now i want a squad based game with all these people... damm you fallout and your one companion bullcrap!

GaryO on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    GaryO wrote: »
    I have turned my courier and all the companions into special forces. everyone has black combat armour (except lily - dont think she can wear it., and veronica who is in t51-b power armour. Everyone is wearing a beret or a combat helmet. and everyone has a role (determinded by weapons. Cass is explosives, boone is the sniper, Arcade is the tech guy (with a laser RCW) Raul is the mechanic, lily has a mingun for fire support, and veronica hits people in the face. Rex is the mascot and Ed-e is our pack mule for carrying things. this leaves the courier as the leader/all rounder.
    now i want a squad based game with all these people... damm you fallout and your one companion bullcrap!

I dont think gamebryo likes the scripting at all with multiple companions, i think i killed one of my save games by having cass arcada raul veronica ede and boone (no rexy or lily) i think all the trigger events were happening at the same time which was causing characters to glitch and stop following

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I forgot to mention better criticals, with that and hand loader the sniper is doing 217 every hit, with the AM doing 126 3/4 of the time and 259 every 1/4 hits. The AM is also only that good if your crit is an impressive 25%.

I haven't tested this but can't the sniper rifle also fire faster?

Cabezone on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »
    If you're at 20% crit chance and using hand load rounds the regualr sniper rifle is significatly better than the AM.

The AM is for unskilled thugs.

How is the weather in badopinonsylvania, Wrongissipi, USA.

Anti-Materiel Rifle is a surgical tool used to excise the cancer that plagues the mojave

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Cabezone wrote: »
    If you're at 20% crit chance and using hand load rounds the regualr sniper rifle is significatly better than the AM.

The AM is for unskilled thugs.

How is the weather in badopinonsylvania, Wrongissipi, USA.

Anti-Materiel Rifle is a surgical tool used to excise the cancer that plagues the mojave

In the same amount of time you've managed to send backflipping, a single person, with that gorrilla rifle I've exploded 3 heads.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's also really goddamn heavy

Jintor on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    GaryO wrote: »

I dont think gamebryo likes the scripting at all with multiple companions, i think i killed one of my save games by having cass arcada raul veronica ede and boone (no rexy or lily) i think all the trigger events were happening at the same time which was causing characters to glitch and stop following

I've only had it mess up a few times with all companions. Namely when going to see House. Otherwise it works pretty well. Right now though, I leave the companions with the finished quests in the penthouse to wander around and eat.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Honestly?

Light Machine Gun is the answer to everything.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gauss Rifle is better than all that guff.

I need to find the unique version.

captaink on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Meh, Gauss kinda' feels cheesy as fuck, not to mention it seems like half the shots clip through dudes for some reason or another.

Besides, Tesla Cannon's clearly superior once you drop the retarded ammo consumption to something reasonable.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    It's also really goddamn heavy

And requires ST 8 to handle properly.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like the Gauss Rifle just because I think it looks cool.

Also, it's fuck awesome.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It also makes that annoying GONG sound whenever you shoot someone with it, though. That starts to get old reeeeeal fast.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Alright, so I beat the game with my Sneaky, Smart, Gun-totin' character the other day and immediately started my Hardcore run with a stupid, Melee focused character....whew! I'm level 3 or so and I am already far too rich for my own good!

I pick up pretty much all the ammo I come across (just like non-HC) but I just sell it off at the first opportunity.
    I think HC mode might really be where it's at. I really like having to monitor my hunger, thirst, and sleep deprevation levels, and focusing on anything that's not a gun means that the Wasteland is pretty much made of money, as long as I have enough Strength to carry it all (which I do).

I seem to level up much more slowly though and having a low Sneak skill completely changes the way the game works. (I ALWAYS play a sneaky char. in games like this. I just can't help myself. It's taking all my willpower to dump points into Repair and "punching" instead of boosting my pathetic sneak skill which is at like 12, or something)

HC mode is making me think about finally picking up Metro 2033. It's fairly cheap now and I just got paid today so.....we'll see, I guess. :P
    My wallet is saying "nooooo" but the rest of me is all "shut up, wallet, you have too much power already!" Clearly, I am conflicted.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ...I like that Gong sound actually.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ExpiredHeroExpiredHero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Have just completed New Vegas and the ending seemed a little rushed and lacking...

Endgame spoilers
    Sided with the NCR and the Legion attacked the dam. Me and Boone head to the Legate's camp and kick some legion ass.
    All good so far, head back to report in and bam the game ends. I didn't understand why the NCR were all “we destroyed the
    Legion“, Ceaser still lived, and we never attacked the Fort - there must have been a pretty big force still left there which was
    some level of threat.

Also, was there an ingame reason for you not being able to freeroam Vegas after the endgame?

ExpiredHero on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Have just completed New Vegas and the ending seemed a little rushed and lacking...

Endgame spoilers
    Sided with the NCR and the Legion attacked the dam. Me and Boone head to the Legate's camp and kick some legion ass.
    All good so far, head back to report in and bam the game ends. I didn't understand why the NCR were all “we destroyed the
    Legion“, Ceaser still lived, and we never attacked the Fort - there must have been a pretty big force still left there which was
    some level of threat.

Also, was there an ingame reason for you not being able to freeroam Vegas after the endgame?
    Supposedly
    the Courier goes a'wanderin' once again pretty soon after the battle, soon enough that he missed a good chance to get laid depending on what you did during that game.
    I also found it rather lame that
    You couldn't go to the Legate's camp on your own initiative and just raise hell right then and there. They could've just written the last battle off as the last dregs of the Legion throwing themselves at the Dam for one final bout of glory, but noooo, gotta' have the showdown right at the end.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Howlin' Mad MurphyHowlin' Mad Murphy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does anyone know if simple mods are compatible between Fallout 3 and New Vegas? I want to try adding a custom weapon mod for FO3 in to New Vegas (so basically just a copy and paste of the mod and its resources).

Also, I am lazy and don't feel like fudging with the GECK right now.

Edit: Boo, just realized that it wouldn't have iron sights.

Howlin' Mad Murphy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Probably not, I'm betting. There's only a wee bit of difference in how the NV GECK handles from the one for 3, but that's probably all it takes to screw things up.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Would have been nice to get to view the credits for the game I sank 60 hours in to.
    It just keeps crashing over and over. :(
    Spoilers for the end down below.
    I went for a vegas with no NCR or Legion. Just me, and a shit load of robots, and thew the general off the dam.
    Did anyone else cheer when they saw the Boomers fly over the dam in their spiffy new bomber? That was awesome.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I finally got the jury rigging perk earlier today. Definitely makes life easier. I also got a ballistic fist. Me and Veronica went deathclaw punchin'. Still almost died, of course.

SteevL on
  • Options
    OdjnOdjn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    When you're an unarmed based Courier, fights last as long as it takes you to run up to your target.

Also, OP needs to mention Fallout Wanderers Edition for Fallout 3. It's been out forever and is like hardcore mode except A) better B) adjustable and C) has a shit ton of awesome things besides water food and sleep.

Odjn on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Unique Gauss Rifle is far better than the Unique Tesla Cannon. Especially since the tesla rips through ammo.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Would have been nice to get to view the credits for the game I sank 60 hours in to.
    It just keeps crashing over and over. :(

Iirc, the credits are just a video file sitting in the data directory. You'll note that they're different if you took Wild Wasteland, too. If trying to play the file from the OS crashes, though - as it's likely to do, since it crashed when it tried it in-game - you're still out of luck, but at least you'll know what problem to troubleshoot (incorrectly installed or missing codec).

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Spoiler request, be vague please I don't want to be TOO spoiled.

Where is Festus?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010

Endgame spoilers
    some level of threat.

Yeah, it was awkward just like Fallout 3's ending was. I'm sure DLC will help, but as with any game like this, it's in the journey not the destination.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Draper wrote: »

Endgame spoilers
    some level of threat.

Yeah, it was awkward just like Fallout 3's ending was. I'm sure DLC will help, but as with any game like this, it's in the journey not the destination.
    Just like fallout 3's ending?

Are you insane.

At least the ending in this one makes sense. He did his job, now he's gone to wander. It was a great ending.

Its nothing like Fallout 3's non-broken steel hamfisted shoe horning of retardation.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    New bug for you'll know when it happens.
    The president has come and gone in his vertibird. The "For the Republic" quest tells me to talk to Ranger Grant. He won't enter dialogue with me, he just says something like "The president is safe, thanks for your help." When I talk to Moore the only thing she'll say is "is the president safe?" The quest objective wants me to talk to Grant, but I can't.

I can't find any solutions to this online, and the "completequest" console command doesn't work.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Endgame spoilers
    some level of threat.

Are you insane.

At least the ending in this one makes sense. He did his job, now he's gone to wander. It was a great ending.

Its nothing like Fallout 3's non-broken steel hamfisted shoe horning of retardation.
    I meant like the sudden-ness of it. The actual ending itself, the closing cinematic, was a lot better.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Starting a melee weapons run.
    Sneak, Melee, Lockpick. I just hit a guy so hard in the chest with a lead pipe, his head popped off.
    :lol:

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    so apparently whenever I noclip, after getting stuck, i move out of the area, come out of noclip.

and promply fall to my death.

Even if I am only 4 inches above the ground.

even if I'm a high END character with full health.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Endgame spoilers
    some level of threat.

Are you insane.

I meant like the sudden-ness of it. The actual ending itself, the closing cinematic, was a lot better.

Well, to me it makes sense. You were enver able to free roam in the older Fallout games after beating them, so the complete total ending makes sense to me.
    As for why it happens where it does, the you spend the whole game preparing and building up to the big final battle at the Dam, and once you kill everyone there, you get to go help set up the new New Vegas, or whatever else you're doing at the time

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You literally had at least 3 potential party members who were completely immune to radiation, and you were forced by horrible writing to make the choice yourself. I said before if they would have just made your companions stay back to help liberty prime, so you didnt have to DEAL with the horrible Destiny excuses it would have been a much better ending.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Honestly?

This is a really strange way to spell Ballistic Fist

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Honestly?

The way you spell Anti-Materiel Rifle in your moon language is weird and cause for concern

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Honestly?

The way you spell Anti-Materiel Rifle in your moon language is weird and cause for concern

You guys sure manage to get Riot Shotgun wrong pretty often.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gonna go with Riot Shotgun as my favorite weapon, at least at close range.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Honestly?

You guys sure manage to get Riot Shotgun wrong pretty often.

Huntera on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is anyone else modding?

I have a very messed up question: I have NPC's that keep vanishing. Only in certain cells, but they keep just...vanishing.

I see them in the GECK, but in game, nothing in the interior cell will appear. I can even see NPC's pathing in and out of the building, but when I go...it's empty.

Anon the Felon on