As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Intermittent Mac Problem

GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My mother-in-law has an iMac and has been running into some problems. I'm not very familiar with Macs and can't even see the computer in person, but hopefully I can describe the problems.

Intermittently, she will go into her mail (through Yahoo) and one of the messages will not work. Instead of showing the message contents when clicking on it, a white screen will be displayed in the browser instead. She can then go back, view other messages fine, but viewing that message still won't work. This behavior also happens on certain message boards, where some topics end up with a white screen, while others appear correctly.

She also said Yahoo Messenger has been cutting out, which makes me think it's a connectivity problem, but then why would only certain messages not load?

Restarting the computer seems to help but doesn't always fix it. She is running the latest version of Firefox although I'm not sure what addons are installed.

Ganluan on

• Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's connectivity, not the Mac. Yahoo! Mail is a very heavy-weight piece of Ajax; if I'm torrenting something, and eating up bandwidth, the missus will be unable to load her mail.

Messages Yahoo! Mail has already cached will be visible, but it seems to not go out and try again if one is screwed up in the cache.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ah, that makes sense. I don't know why I forgot the possibility of previously read messages being cached.

Ganluan on