As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LA Noire - Why didn't you buttlords tell me about this game?

KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Social Entropy++
This is the kind of stuff I rely on you dudes for! You've all let me down! And it hurts my heart. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2apXFdtO9o

Anyhow, this game looks pretty sweet. If you have lived under a rock, or are a dumb-dumb, and don't recognize the main character of this whole dark, dank, gritty shin-dig, it's this guy:

cosgrove.jpg

From a little known show on AMC, that this thread is totally not about.

Anyhow, I thought this thread would be up you dudes' collective alley. I know I'm looking forward to learning more about it.

mrsatansig.png
KrunkMcGrunk on

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I like the writing so far.

sarukun on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    holy shit this game fuck yes

Rent on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    saw the super early trailer for this a few months ago

some folks said it'd been canceled.

good to see it wasn't.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The title of this game makes me shake my head
    Next they will make a survival horror game called Scary Game

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    NY Kill Guys With Guns

Langly on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, the game looks cool. I hope it's more adventure-game style investigating things, with some light shooting, and not haveabulletforfree.jpg

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    The title of this game makes me shake my head
    Next they will make a survival horror game called Scary Game

Well, thanks for blowing the lid off my unannounced horror game.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I pretty much jerked it to this trailer, no lie.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, if this game is anything less than adventure-style detective-gamery with gun-shootings, I'm going to be disappointed.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm excited for this game but it got delayed.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i'd watch mad men if it had zombies

or if i could start from the beginning

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They've been making this game for like 8 years.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TankHammer wrote: »

LA Duke Nukem?

Hunter on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »

LA Duke Nukem?

I still can't believe that might come out soon.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    I was reading about the technology involved in the making of this game. They used some kind of special camera shit that can capture faces and motion without motion sensors or some shit. It sounded cool when I was reading it but it was awhile ago and I don't remember all of it and this sentence just keeps running and running.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This game has been around forever and seems to never die

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sorry, I was busy.

Being a buttlord is a full time job. The butts. Lording over them. All of it. Lot of shit to do.

Goose! on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This looks very good but I also hope it is primarily an adventure game with some light action elements.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Goose! wrote: »
    Sorry, I was busy.

Being a buttlord is a full time job. The butts. Lording over them. All of it. Lot of shit to do.

It's cool. I understand.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    God I already had to post about this in G&T and now I have to post here?

Anyways yeah I'm excited for LA Confidential the adventure game with light cover shooting elements. Or at least that's the game I'm imagining after seeing this trailer. Don't disappoint Rockstar! Or whatever studio is doing this. Either way I'll blame you Rockstar so don't fuck this up. :x

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Holy shit
    Our first look at L.A. Noire in action included some pretty amazing graphics. Strike that, it included some pretty amazing facial animation.

The graphics are about what we've come to expect from Rockstar Games, but those facial tics, the worry lines, the creases, those were an impressive display of taking a bit of an actor's portrayal and porting it straight into a game.

Rockstar tells us that Australia's Team Bondie managed to do that with something they call performance scanning technology. The tech, called MotionScan and created by Team Bondi's sister company Depth Analysis, is meant to capture the actual performance of an actor, rather than just the motions an actor goes through. The difference may sound subtle, but those subtleties are the sorts of things that real detectives, real police use to suss out the truth in an investigation.

OK, so we know that they can capture an actor's performance, but how does that apply to the game we'll be playing, not the bits we'll be watching?

That trailer was stunning, but it could have been all cutscenes, sure cutscenes created within the game, but still not playable.

Not so, Rockstar tells Kotaku.

The trailer includes a blend of playable footage and cutscenes. Rockstar tells us that because of the tech behind the game there is no difference between the gameplay and cutscenes. Of course we can't say whether we agree until we see the game in action ourselves.

Keep in mind, though, the premise behind this game: You are a detective. It sounds like this isn't meant to be a shooter, it's meant to be an interactive whodunit. Because of that, the game, we're told, is full of interactive moments that are driven by dialogue; like interrogating suspects. That's where a healthy chunk of the trailer comes from.

If true, that means there won't be an aesthetic shift when the game drifts between the interactive and the passive bits of the game. And that's a pretty big deal.

When I play a game, even games I love like Call of Duty: Black Ops, I tend to put the controller down during cutscenes. That moment, the second the controller drops from my hand and onto the couch, I transform from a gamer to a viewer.

What was an immersive experience suddenly becomes a non-interactive bit of entertainment. The game, in other words, becomes a movie.

If you can remove those moments, you can increase the feeling of being part of the fiction you're playing, and that's always a good thing.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Let's see if they can deliver on this stuff.

Meanwhile will all be playing Duke Nukem Forever wondering what the wait was for

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That looks sweet. It also looks very linear, and I worry about how much control the player will actually have.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    nice i had been ignoring this game because i thought it was ps3 only

satansfingers on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I could've sworn there was an LA Noire thread before and the title was almost an exact copy of this one.

i think I'm going nuts.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I thought the faces and graphics looked a little wonky.

But that could just be the whole uncanny valley thing

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like that they recreate that pack-a-day leathery face thing those movie stars had going on for a while

all wrinkles and tough skin and it must be so much easier to emulate

making dudes look all mean.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If this is more of an interactive whodunit, I'd love to see how they pull it off, because that's what I'm working on too.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This looks awesome.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I do enjoy Rockstar

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I bet this is going to be another GTA style open world game from Rockstar. You're going to be playing stupid little mini-games and spending half the time driving from A to B.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh man. I sure would be pissed if they made another great game like their other open-world games.

That would just.. ruin my day

Artreus on
  • Options
    ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SoaL wrote: »
    I like that they recreate that pack-a-day leathery face thing those movie stars had going on for a while

all wrinkles and tough skin and it must be so much easier to emulate

making dudes look all mean.

I think its because they are using that new face-scanning animation stuff that just outputs an animated mesh rather than the bone-driven systems that have been ubiquitous until now.

ThreadbareSock on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    fuck Rockstar for making highly enjoyable and massively successful games. I wish they'd stop it.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I had a hard time getting into GTAIV. It's still sitting on my shelf unfinished.

I thought Mafia II was a far superior game.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This will be a most enjoyable game about black LA detectives.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This will be a most enjoyable game about black LA detectives.

Actually, they are white guys in black face.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It would be better if it were a couple of black detectives in white face.
    white_chicks.jpg

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I had a hard time getting into GTAIV. It's still sitting on my shelf unfinished.

how far did you make it in gta4

because the middle of the game really bogs down pretty badly but it's worth it to play to the end

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

how far did you make it in gta4

because the middle of the game really bogs down pretty badly but it's worth it to play to the end

The fucking bank heist. Fucking BANK HEIST!

Raijin Quickfoot on