As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cell Phone Number Transfer

tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
When I was in college my parents kept me on the family cell plan, and now that and I'm out of school and more importantly the contract is up I am going to get my own phone plan. I am wondering if it is possible for me to keep the same number(I've been using it for over a decade at this point). I know I could transfer the number between carriers, but my current number is actually 'owned' by my parents, is there some way to arrange for the transfer of the number to me?

Additionally any suggestions on the actual phone would be welcome.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
tinwhiskers on

• Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The best way to have this question answered is simply to call your provider. I know that sometimes with numbers in a family plan, they might prefer not to, but that may depend on a number of different factors.

As for phone suggestions, knowing your carrier and needs would help narrow things down.

Murphy on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It would help if you noted your Service Provider. If you were on Rogers, all you need is for the person with authority on the account (your mom or dad) to call Rogers and tell customer service to release control of the number to you. They'll get some basic info, and then they'll contact you regarding setting up an account, plan, extras, and so forth. If you want to switch providers, probably your best bet is to go to a store or kiosk for whatever new provider you want to use, and drag along the parent who manages the existing plan. There will probably be some back and forth between you, the new provider, and the old provider, and your parent, but they should be able to facilitate the transfer.

If your parent can't be in attendance, try and at least organize a time when they can be available by telephone.

And never rely on your old provider to tell you what can or can't be done with a number. It's in their best interest to make your departure inconvenient, but it's in the New Provider's best interest to make it as pain-free as possible.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    Call your carrier. What they will probably ask you to do is have whoever pays your parents' bill with you and available to confirm. My husband and I just did this, and I got my number from my parents' plan, so I know it's plenty possible.

edit: I would also advise against the Motorola Backflip. My husband's works fine, but I've had nothing but problems with mine.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Most carriers call this a "Transfer of Liability". It's a common situation and a call to your carrier's Customer Service line will help more than any of us can :P

a5ehren on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    You'll be looking to get the current service provider to supply you with a PAC number, assuming they do it the same way in the US.

You sign up for a new contract first (which will come with a new contact number) and then give the PAC number to the new provider which will initiate the transfer of your old number over to the SIM that came with your new phone. I've only ever done this with solo contracts and the process automatically cancels the old contract once the number is transferred to the new contract. Not sure how that works with a family contract but I imagine it just removes the individual number in that instance.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    I just had my number switch over from ATT to Sprint. They asked for billing address that the number was currently under, whose name was it in. After I called my mom a few times asking for the information it was a done deal and I have the same number.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    When I was in college my parents kept me on the family cell plan, and now that and I'm out of school and more importantly the contract is up I am going to get my own phone plan. I am wondering if it is possible for me to keep the same number(I've been using it for over a decade at this point). I know I could transfer the number between carriers, but my current number is actually 'owned' by my parents, is there some way to arrange for the transfer of the number to me?

Additionally any suggestions on the actual phone would be welcome.

Yes, absolutely.

If the contract is in your parents name, the number belongs to them. Which isn't a big deal, but means that when you want to transfer it from their name to yours, you'll have to get them to come down and sign something saying that they release the number; this is principally to prevent random assholes from hijacking your phone number. This is easier when you stay within one carrier, but it should be straightforward regardless.

Once the number has been released into the pool, however, it will be difficult or impossible to get back.

jamesra on
    "Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),