As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MISFITS] Like Heroes when it was good but Britishy

EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Just came across this show a couple of weeks ago, and haven't seen any threads about it here. Really excellent, sometimes super funny and other times a bit grimmer. Some great lines, especially from Nathan.

A couple of links to articles about it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8304160.stm
http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=124051

Anyone else seen it?

Evermourn on

• Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I quite enjoy Misfits, but can't help but feel that Robert Sheehan(Nathan) is carrying the show.

Certainly worth at least testing the water with this one. It's reminiscent of a much lower-budget, though better done Heroes. Check it out.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was just about to make this thread.

I enjoyed the first series and this second one is shaping up to be even better, seems to have a more concrete, continuous plot in any case.

Some slick writing and nice black humour in there too. And the acting isn't unreasonable, but Nathan and Simon are pulling off nice portrayals I think.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It pleases me that this thread exists, second series is off to a good start and a third is as good as confirmed.

spoiler theorizing following tonight's show
    I'm guessing someone out there is already freeze framing through the time travel scene to analyse what came up in Curtis's eyes when he went to the future.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    first thing I thought of when I read the title was this:

misfits%20of%20science.jpg

vaguely similar... yet not. I may check this Misfits out.

krush on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Watched all of Series 1 when it aired, just discovered S2 started last week, so gotten right on that.

Yeah, Nathan and Simon both steal the show in terms of acting their characters. I quite like that Kelly is probably the nicest one there. And there are some classic moments, like nasty snatch gunk and Nathan's love life.
    Am I alone in thinking that Nathan talking to the psych girl in the police interview room... well, because she was him at the time, if the recorder were on, it would sound like a 'schizophrenic' talking to himself about murdering the probation officer?

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The first series was great, up until the throw-away last episode and its deus ex machina stupidity. Had a nice ending, though. But the rest of it was bad in a way that made a second series seem like a terrible idea.

Still, now that it's started, I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Picked it!
    Mystery ninja was Simon. Not sure of the details since can't watch the second half until later. Amazing how different the actor makes him look when playing the different version.

Evermourn on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I watch the first half of the first series of this. It was quite good, but had that slightly apologetic feel that a lot of British drama ends up with.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DROP THE NUTS

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    The first series was great, up until the throw-away last episode and its deus ex machina stupidity. Had a nice ending, though. But the rest of it was bad in a way that made a second series seem like a terrible idea.

Still, now that it's started, I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

It was foreshadowed, though.
    In the alternate timeline, Nathan manages to survive the attack by the first probation officer, and he can't explain why.

If you were trying to figure out what his power would be, that was an obvious clue.

Anyway, I like how the show has resisted entering the realm of megalomaniacs and climactic battles between good and evil. Even after getting powers, the kids are still an unambitious pack of wankers.

Heroes was at its best in the beginning, when it was about mundane people who were suddenly given extraordinary abilities. Then they got involved in crazy conspiracies and battled super-villains, and it turned into a second-rate superhero story.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm not referring to his power, I'm talking about the pointless inclusion of a mysterious masked man that comes out of nowhere to save Nathan, then disappears again. All for no other reason than it adds a mystery and gets the characters out of a jam that they could have gotten out of themselves, probably in a more interesting way.

The masked kid is the one part of the show that really annoys me. Because his reveal will be dumb and not live up to the hype, and until that dumb reveal he's just a plot device that gets the characters out of trouble for free.

Anyway, I've watched the first 2 episodes of the new series. Not bad. A little up and down, really, with the good bits being about the main characters (getting Nathan back was perfect), and the bad bits being the way the masked man and their powers are often shoehorned into scenes where they don't need to be.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Super-Hoodie's identity is revealed in the most recent episode, and I thought it was a rather satisfying moment.

Also, I'd hardly call his rescuing of Nathan a "deus ex machina" moment. That phrase is reserved for when writers create inescapable situations, and being surrounded by Jesus freaks hardly qualifies. Furthermore, the larger problem of the episode is resolved by Nathan, not the new character.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That's my point exactly.

They wrote Nathan into an interesting problem where it was actually within his means to get out, then just throw this kid on a bike into it to add a mystery for no reason -- excepting possibly a weak attempt to add continuity problems that needed to be resolved in a new series.

Without that one element the first series ended perfectly and didn't need to go on. It could have gone on, and it did go on, but it was just annoying to have that there.

If he gets revealed in episode 3 I guess I'll have to decide how I like it myself. I'm relieved that they weren't going to drag it out across the whole series at least.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It was revealed and I also called it. I actually had 3 possible masked my men but that was my first pick.
    Future simon

I am really lovin this show but yes, Nathan does carry it at times.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Masked feller:
    The most obvious first assumption would be Curtis somehow stuck back in time and trying to fix the timelines somehow. But the masked kid is too short, and time travel stuff is too dumb. I'd be happy with about anything else.

Will watch episode 3 this weekend and all will be revealed.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Louie wrote: »
    I am really lovin this show but yes, Nathan does carry it at times.

No arguments about Nathan having all the best lines, but the actor who does Simon is great to watch too, more subtle. and Kelly - sometimes I rewind just to hear her dialogue again, with that amazing accent. Super funny.

Evermourn on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, Simon would be my favourite because he's just so good (he's the misfit amongst misfits) but Nathan is just hilarious. Couldn't stop laughing during
    the Nathon-Kelly almost sex scene which was so ridiculous after the 'lovey' one Future Simon and ....other girl.... had. I do wish Curtis and other girl were in any way interesting though.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Most recent ep:

Ollie getting killed so quickly was pretty funny.

But the new probation officer is awesome.

Kelly needs more screentime and focus. And to 'overhear' Alicia thinking about future Simon.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Guh. This show has completely the opposite problem that Heroes had.

Here we get interesting, well-acted characters and non-ridiculous drama being constantly interrupted by stupid and annoying bad-guy-of-the-week antics. I mean, it's nice that the "villains" get beaten and the characters can move on, but every antagonist in the second series has been worse than the last. I thought the tattoo guy confrontation would be the lowest they could get, but video game guy was fucking terrible. Nothing he did couldn't have been done better by some random street punks or something else that didn't require the inclusion of a power just because.

At least the masked man thing worked out quickly, even if it was a little dumb.

Otherwise, show is great.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Apart from his robotic gait, the character did act like a generic thug, not a GTA character operating in the real world. That's a shame, as a bit of humor would have redeemed him. Instead, he felt like a plot device to take a couple plot elements off the table and set things up for the final episodes of the series.
    Was kind of bummed about the new guy getting killed. He was a bit charming and smarmy, and his social consciousness could've created some fun chemistry with Nathan. Still, he wasn't around long enough for me to get too attached.

Killing future Simon really brought me down, though. It was a bit of an anticlimactic way to end his arc after so much buildup.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Enjoyed the recent ep, didn't see the twist coming with the boyfriend. Nice work. Nathan had a scene stealer, he needs a best of Nathan clip show by now.

And "lactokinesis", that wins a prize for best power name ever.
    Cool to finally see why Curtis was wearing a super suit when he jumped forward.

Evermourn on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Shows great. Need more...... NEED MOAR!

Shade on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I have to admit, controlling milk IS the best power ever. I'd love to see a character like that become a regular villain.

Have to wonder what the father's power was supposed to be. Other than getting really pissed and looking freaky. Unless he has no control over it and is, essentially, insane.

Kind of weird the way almost any tapered object in the Misfits universe is somehow razor sharp when someone bumps into it.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have to admit, controlling milk IS the best power ever. I'd love to see a character like that become a regular villain.

Have to wonder what the father's power was supposed to be. Other than getting really pissed and looking freaky. Unless he has no control over it and is, essentially, insane.

Kind of weird the way almost any tapered object in the Misfits universe is somehow razor sharp when someone bumps into it.

It was definitely great to have an actual super villian.

Shade on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Interesting tagline for the Christmas episode:

Sex power girl whose name I can never remember: Where you going?
    Simon: I'm going to kill Jesus.

Regarding Monsieur Grand Fromage
    Do you think they killed him at the end or just warned him not to go public? I'd go with killed.

Evermourn on
  • Options
    AsiriyaAsiriya Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I love the dialogue but I'm not too keen on the situations each week. I thought the ep with Nathan's brother was good for the character development, and enjoy the other times we seem them out together, or just hanging around the youth centre, there wasn't enough of that this season I thought.
    Instead we got a lot of power of the week episodes; some were good, some weren't. My main issue is the overall arc isn't really strong enough. Feels like the writers were surprised to get asked, fumbled around and couldn't really make enough plot to fill all 7.
    I love the series, just feel that this second has been stop and start and not really flowed, a conflict between its episodic and meta stories.

Asiriya on
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

It is all dairy products! Not just milk!

Evermourn wrote: »
    Regarding Monsieur Grand Fromage
    Do you think they killed him at the end or just warned him not to go public? I'd go with killed.
    Considering their usual problem solving techniques, I think they murdered the shit out of him.

As for masked man, I thought it was the worst part of the season, but I still enjoyed the second series overall.

Ultarune on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Best part was, "I fucked a mun-kay."

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Best part was, "I fucked a mun-kay."

And thank you Nathan for saying what I was thinking "Technically it was a gorilla..."

Evermourn on
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Why does no-one ever listen to Barry?

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Didn't much care for the christmas special.
    The murdering of the afterbirth saved the episode though. Also, the cliffhanger ending does set up a series 3 nicely.

Ultarune on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's already renewed for a 3rd series, right?

Still odd that the most compelling and realistically played antagonist the series has ever had was a guy who choked people to death with yogurt. I really hope they either drop the monster-of-the-week format for the next series, or at least take a good long while to come up with some interesting one-off characters.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Still odd that the most compelling and realistically played antagonist the series has ever had was a guy who choked people to death with yogurt. I really hope they either drop the monster-of-the-week format for the next series, or at least take a good long while to come up with some interesting one-off characters.

I'll support your point by disagreeing with you - I'd say the best antagonist was the probation worker's fiance, but that was because she was part of a seasonal arc. And whatever happened to that detective? Don't recall him being in it much in season 2, but you'd think he'd be even more interested now.

Evermourn on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Actually, yes; she was alright. But she was there while the monster-of-the-week stuff kept going. Don't know if she could have maintained more screen time.

But yeah, at least bringing back a character like that would be nice. The new probation worker is great, but he doesn't get to do a whole lot.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, I just watched the first episode of this show and I was immensely entertained.

The final scene was pretty much the best ending to a pilot.

"Superheroes. I love this guy. You prick"

This line alone fills me with joyful anticipation.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just discovered this show and watched the whole thing so far. Everything about the Mr. Milk episode was fantastic, as was the
    attack on the afterbirth.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2010
    I thought the Christmas episode was shit, but the show as a whole is good.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, the Christmas episode was just Lucas levels of awful. Something went badly wrong, maybe not enough time to polish it? It even messed up basic continuity from the last episode, not to mention the massive changes to the established story and characters with little to no buildup at all.

Evermourn on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Reported a few days ago, but it looks like Robert Sheehan won't be coming back:

http://www.digitalspy.com/british-tv/s145/misfits/news/a313767/robert-sheehan-not-returning-to-misfits.html

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I was totally thinking the old 80s Misfits. I liked it.

Yar on