As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If THQ is supporting the Wii, where are the..

obijkenobiobijkenobi Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
WWE games? Seriously? I mean I don't really watch wrassling anymore, but i use to love playing the various wrestling games with friends on the N64, Gamecube, and PS2. We'd make versions of ourselves and either fight each other or fight "real" wrestlers. DId I miss something or has THQ said nothing about bringing this genre to the Wii.

Also, more importantly, how do you guys think the Wii remote will work with a wrestling game. When people first learned about its abilities, I figured what everyone else thought would be the sure bets such as FPS and lightsaber games. Madden Wii showed me that the controller is good for that sports game but I can't wrap my head around how to use it effectively for wrestling games. Maybe that's why THQ hasn't said anything at all yet? Anyway, if any of you guys have good ideas/comments/flames for me making this topic, post away.

obijkenobi on

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As long as if they don't make me jab the remote to jab my opponent, I, too, wish for a wrestling game on the Wii. Maybe copy the No Mercy/Day of Reckoning scheme, except instead of hitting a button during a grapple, you tilt the remote in a specific direction to do different moves.

Also! Since this is a good a place as any to ask, what's the best wrestling game on the PS2? I've never played any of them, and would like to. A great replayable single player story mode is a huge plus.

Lux on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Alas the greatest games wrestling games of the Dreamcast/PS2/etc. era never made it to the US. Fire Pro and Giant Gram series (technically there were two GBA Fire Pro games released in the US but they're an empty shell of the franchise's true grandeur).

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No Mercy had the best wrestling controls ever. Why every game that followed didn't steal that scheme I have no idea.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The newest Smackdown vs Raw (2007) is actually very good. I recommend it.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited January 2007
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance has some grappling that could be used in a wrestling game. You tilt the nunchuk to grab, then do any of several things. For example you waggle your wiimote to pull a weapon away from an opponent.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    thunderclumpthunderclump Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Actually, THQ were only ever supporting the Revolution. Documents abound.

thunderclump on
    421629-1.png
  • Options
    HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lux wrote:
    As long as if they don't make me jab the remote to jab my opponent, I, too, wish for a wrestling game on the Wii. Maybe copy the No Mercy/Day of Reckoning scheme, except instead of hitting a button during a grapple, you tilt the remote in a specific direction to do different moves.

God, no. Presumably trying to come up with a control scheme that doesn't suck is taking up Yukes/some guys time so they haven't announced anything yet. Isn't the TNA game from Midway coming to the Wii?

I'd prefer if they just went for a No Mercy type control scheme and use the classic controller, or something. Suppose the remote could be used for certain moves, like a chop... Wiiii! I mean... Wooo!

Hazz on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man what? Punching with the Wiimote would be awesome! I could be all Rock punching and stuff. One, two, three - pause/pose - Bam!

Yeah, The Rock would have to be in in. He doesn't still wrestle does he? I haven't watched it in years.

Any option in a Wii wrestling game that would make me act like a freak is okay in my book.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The best wrestling games I've played since No Mercy are the Def Jam fighting games. On the surface, rappers beating on each other seems lame, but damn if those games weren't fucking awesome. They used the No Mercy controls exactly, with over the top impossible moves that looked like they hurt sooooo bad. Every fan of any wrestling game needs to check these games out. Especially Fight for NY. A kick-ass story mode, too, with great character customization.

One of the few reasons I want a 360 or a PS3 is for the new one that's coming out soon.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Man what? Punching with the Wiimote would be awesome! I could be all Rock punching and stuff. One, two, three - pause/pose - Bam!

I'm sure that would be lots of fun for about ten minutes. But having 'Waggle remote Left +B' instead of 'Press Left +B' just isn't a very good use of the remote, is it? Is waggling/whatever other motion somehow more realistic than just pressing a button? Crappy use of the remote for the sake of using it just seems a little pointless and tiring to me. I suppose it could be used for various positions in the game. When your opponent is whipped into the corner you could chop or punch them using the remote, but I can't think of any other decent ways of using it.

Hazz on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hazz wrote:

I'm sure that would be lots of fun for about ten minutes. But having 'Waggle remote Left +B' instead of 'Press Left +B' just isn't a very good use of the remote, is it? Is waggling/whatever other motion somehow more realistic than just pressing a button? Crappy use of the remote for the sake of using it just seems a little pointless and tiring to me. I suppose it could be used for various positions in the game. When your opponent is whipped into the corner you could chop or punch them using the remote, but I can't think of any other decent ways of using it.

So many moves would easily transfer over into waves of the wiimote. Irish whips, pokes to the eyes, Stone Cold Stunners!

If there was an option... screw it, I'll be doing the motions anyway :P

[spoiler:493ebe528f]No, I have not thought this through. I was distracted by all the awesome[/spoiler:493ebe528f]

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd go for a good WWE game No Mercy-style, but I'd prefer to use the controller instead of a Wiimote. It needs to get some usage, and Nintendo IMO will be better off if they work both sides--make some games work with the Wiimote if they would be FUN to play with it--and make the others work with the controller, if its more feasible.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would guess there are no WWE games for Wii because THQ figures the kind of meat heads that watch WWE are more likely to own a PS3 or 360.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The best wrestling games I've played since No Mercy are the Def Jam fighting games. On the surface, rappers beating on each other seems lame, but damn if those games weren't fucking awesome. They used the No Mercy controls exactly, with over the top impossible moves that looked like they hurt sooooo bad. Every fan of any wrestling game needs to check these games out. Especially Fight for NY. A kick-ass story mode, too, with great character customization.

One of the few reasons I want a 360 or a PS3 is for the new one that's coming out soon.

Fight for NY was pretty good

Too bad they give you next to no control over what moves your guy has

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    Captain CharismaCaptain Charisma __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    They wanted to put SVR '07 on Wii, but the developers didn't feel they could do the Wiimote justice in the limited time they had. 08 is likely though.

And Def Jam: Fight for NY was fucking awesome.

Captain Charisma on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I thought THQ lost the WWE licence?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I thought THQ lost the WWE licence?

I think they are still in court over it.

Accualt on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I thought THQ and the WWE were no longer talking to each other.

Edit: Beaten like Bobby loves Whitney (allegedly).

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    Captain CharismaCaptain Charisma __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    They still have the license til 2009 I think.

Captain Charisma on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I never thought I'd say this but... I hope EA gets it after. (EA still work with AKI, right?)

Hazz on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hazz wrote:
    I never thought I'd say this but... I hope EA gets it after. (EA still work with AKI, right?)

no, no, no, no!

ea-wcw-backstage-assault-psx.jpg

It didn't even have a ring in it!

Accualt on
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    Hazz wrote:

no, no, no, no!

ea-wcw-backstage-assault-psx.jpg

It didn't even have a ring in it!

EA Also made uhh... WCW Mayhem I believe, which DID have a ring in it. Trust me, they could've had 500 rings in it. They still would have made a shitty game. I'm talking "Go to do a bodyslam, now you're 10 feet in the air above the middle of the ring, and your opponent is being bodyslammed outside the ring by some invisible ghost" Levels of shitty.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ah yes, Backstage Assault. At least the title describes how you'll feel while playing the game.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Ah yes, Backstage Assault. At least the title describes how you'll feel while playing the game.

:^:

Accualt on
  • Options
    WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Stigma wrote:
    The newest Smackdown vs Raw (2007) is actually very awful. I recommend jamming pins through your eyes before playing it.

I have played almost every wrestling game since WWF Steel Cage waaaaaaay back in the day on my NES (including a few Japanese imports)and I swear that this might be one of the worst. Compared to the previous incarnations on the PS2, the controls are clunky and the commentating might be some of the worst that I have ever heard.

Look into WCW/nWo Revenge ... I think either that or No Mercy would easily be best for here in the States

edit: top of page ... wahoo!

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No Mercy is still the king after all these years.

Not only is it a good game, it's a good WRESTLING game, not tarnished by stupid gimmicks and flash. The movesets were great, the balance was impeccable, and most importantly it played out like a wrestling match: none of this "huge super move 2 minutes into the match" crap.

I was hoping to God that EA would pick up the license solely because they had AKI working with them on the Def Jam series and could easily transition them, but from what I hear the next def jam has nothing to do with Aki at all. Right now it looks like No Mercy/VPW will be the undisputed king for a looooong time.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    obijkenobiobijkenobi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I always thought No Mercy was the best wrestling game ever, only limited by the tech of the n64. Customization of wrestlers is better now, but the games arne't as much fun.

As for the "waggle" controls, I've thought abit about it. Picture a grappling system similar to no mercy. To do a weak grapple you push the remote towards the tv and then if you connect pressing a direction on the d pad to do a weak grapple move. To do a strong grapple you pull towards yourself then you push towards the tv. From here you can do a strong grapple move or an irish whip by moving the remote in the direction that you want to throw the wrestler too. From a strong grapple you can also do strong strikes with the A or B button which would both be strike buttons.

As for other controls in the set up. Z and C would be used for running and blocking. Pulling back on the remote would be how you avoid grapples.

I'm not sure how to incorporate specials or taunts atm.

obijkenobi on
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I want a wrestling game where I can make my own federations, wrestlers, , feuds, storylines, moves and stuff.

Caswynben on