As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic Thread for Monday, November 22, 2010

2»

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    eh, it still implies that there's something wrong with a b&w comic
    like they're slacking or something and they could have done better, thus implying color comics are necessarily superior to b&w comics
    it's great as is, that's all it has to be
    I don't see that any explanation is called for

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It doesn't imply that there's anything wrong with a black and white comic

It's just that 99% of their comics are in color, so when one is in black and white it's natural to ask why

That is all

Also it's a fantastic comic.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    FTVFTV Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    OnLive is a perfect example of disruptive technology. It starts with performance that for the most part isn't good enough, but since we're not likely to all start getting slower internet connections, eventually their video compression tech will own the world. I for one look forward to my computer and games getting better and better all the time without me doing anything.

FTV on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I was going to say, in theory this thing is pretty neat

Never having to worry about your computer specs

Possibly not ever having to upgrade consoles, or at least cheaper upgrades if you do (looks like the Onlive console thing is $99)

I don't think it will replace the current system anytime soon, but it is a neat idea and I'm very curious to see where this goes

Nocturne on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It won't replace the current system because they still have to run the games on their computers. It isn't run on magic or anything. So bigger and better video cards and whatnot are still going to be made

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    so is every comic thread still full of retards barfing out their ignorance of the comic's subject?

apparently the multitude of google search implementations into the modern online experience still isnt enough to absolve the extremely lazy of their will to be complete tools

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    It won't replace the current system because they still have to run the games on their computers. It isn't run on magic or anything. So bigger and better video cards and whatnot are still going to be made

Yeah, they would need to keep pretty close to the bleeding edge if they want to consistently provide great graphics at a good enough frame rate for the game to be playable over an internet connection. This is gonna be costly as fuck, and hard to do without enough subscribers.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I dunno, it's a lot less costly for a dedicated company to build and maintain a server farm than it is for a bunch of individuals to run their own desktops (or consoles or whatever). Above and beyond the simple economy of scale, don't forget that they can flip that hardware capacity over to another customer as soon as you stop playing. Whenever you're not playing games now, your machine at home is sitting idle.

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Onlive works better than you'd think!

But it still doesn't work perfectly

Still, though. If you have a shitty PC but want to play PC games, it might be a way to go? Especially for games like Splinter Cell which have that shitty Ubisoft requirement of "be online all the time or you don't get to play at all"

Though if you have a 360 you could just play the game on that so

I don't know

I think Onlive is cool and serves a purpose, but I just don't know what that purpose really is

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gyral wrote: »
    Now that I get this comic, it's pretty funny.

I wonder why it's not colored though.

Cuz they want us to break out the Crayola Crayons and color them in ourselves.

Oh oh I tried look look.

colorcomicgud.jpg

Had to use those big ol' shitty crayons.

Henroid on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Henroid doesn't color between the lines.

No sir, he colors all over them.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Coloring between the lines just strips away my freedums.

Henroid on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    darktalon.jpg

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is a pretty great birthday comic, I gotta say.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Onlive might be fairly good for tactically paused or turn-based games; I mean, in the sense that any input delays won't be nearly as crippling as they would have been with a twitch shooter

Still sounds like a bit of a pipe dream to me though

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just finished reading an article in Game Developer magazine that talked about the latency caused by the game itself being just as much if not more a detriment for games being done over the cloud. One of the many things they talked about was that when running over a cloud service a game's fps is basically halved, so if the game is running at 30 fps on the cloud then the user's only getting 15 fps of control which helps exacerbate that laggy control feeling. There was other stuff like how multithreading in the game engine can cause a frame or two of latency with controls which can then be magnified over the cloud. Pretty interesting stuff.

Opty on
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    well, all things considered, it IS the Harbinger of Menoth.
    Artreus wrote: »
    He was too busy painting this

scaled.php?tn=0&server=269&filename=jewyd.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Iskander on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

Still, though. If you have a shitty PC but want to play PC games, it might be a way to go? Especially for games like Splinter Cell which have that shitty Ubisoft requirement of "be online all the time or you don't get to play at all"

I don't know

I think Onlive is cool and serves a purpose, but I just don't know what that purpose really is

Don't you have to be online to use OnLive?

Unless you're just saying you don't want to give Ubi 40 dollars out of principle, which I get.

Anyway, I love that they left it uncolored. Getting a real children's fantasy novel vibe from the comic. Takes me back to reading those novels that had mice and cats as the main characters, before furries became a thing.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

I don't know

Don't you have to be online to use OnLive?

Unless you're just saying you don't want to give Ubi 40 dollars out of principle, which I get.

Anyway, I love that they left it uncolored. Getting a real children's fantasy novel vibe from the comic. Takes me back to reading those novels that had mice and cats as the main characters, before furries became a thing.

You do have to be online for OnLive, but that's the nature of the service you are using. The thing itself is online.

He was casting aspersions on the Ubisoft DRM that made you need to be online to play a video game. Which I agree with. It is a terrible system. Not everybody has access to the internet all the time like that, and having the internet cut out on you should not kick you out of the game and make you lose your progress if the game is based on your computer.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This kinda reminds me of Bone

Ivar on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know, depending on the price, and the latency which may or may not be a problem, this could be a pretty sweet deal if you don't have to pay for games.

The only problem I see is that if you do it seems like it would become expensive superfast.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Blake T wrote: »
    You know, depending on the price, and the latency which may or may not be a problem, this could be a pretty sweet deal if you don't have to pay for games.

The only problem I see is that if you do it seems like it would become expensive superfast.

You do have to pay for games. Just go to their website and look at their library. For most games they have options for 1, 3, or 5 day passes and then a full unlimited pass that's pretty much the same cost as buying the game through other channels.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Most criminals in our prison system today colored outside the lines as a kid.

jwalk on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    they're planning a netflix-type monthly fee for access to the whole library

that's where this shit becomes mad appealing to me

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    they're planning a netflix-type monthly fee for access to the whole library

that's where this shit becomes mad appealing to me

see, that I would be interested in depending on the sub fee

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    Now that I get this comic, it's pretty funny.

I wonder why it's not colored though.

Cuz they want us to break out the Crayola Crayons and color them in ourselves.

Oh oh I tried look look.

colorcomicgud.jpg

Had to use those big ol' shitty crayons.

Well not to be outdone, here's my attempt. Had to break out the Prismacolor markers. Came to the realization that I drink too much coffee when I could not get my hand to stop shaking.

penny.jpg

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    that's actually pretty dang good

I'd email it to g&t if I were you

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    G&T need to do a children's illustrated storybook with Gyral as colorist.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gyral does a lot better job of coloring in between the lines than Henroid did.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Doesn't help I drink a pot of coffee a day. Though the contact buzz from the markers was mellowing me out towards the end.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gyral is a Prismagician.

Oddfish on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    oh wow that's awesome-looking

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That is pretty fly indeed.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well thanks for all the positive feedback. Next time around I'll probably print it off on better paper (probably double scale) and actually sit down and try not to be as messy in certain spots. Or break out the blender and some masking tools for some cleaner edges. Still, I prefer hand coloring to digital (I'm old fashioned that way).

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    that's actually pretty dang good

I'd email it to g&t if I were you

You should do this, that's great work!

e: I'd really like to give OnLive a try, signed up for an account but apparently my pipes aren't fat enough to get past the log on screen so

101 on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like it but that mouse looks mad pink

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I say he looks happy pink

KalTorak on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited November 2010
    did anyone notice they accidentally uploaded tomorrow's for a bit, early this afternoon?

it was a joke about gabriel's home for wayward youths, and frank shows up for some reason

Whippy on
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    did anyone notice they accidentally uploaded tomorrow's for a bit, early this afternoon?

it was a joke about gabriel's home for wayward youths, and frank shows up for some reason

Yeah I saw this as well a few hours ago. I was gonna post a thread for it, but figured I should probably wait till when it was suppose to actually go up. I was happy to see frank again, if only for a brief moment.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I admit I had to go look in the archive to remember who Frank is. For a second I thought he was Gabe and Tycho's late, third roommate.
    That was Jim.

Gaslight on
This discussion has been closed.