As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: The Gathering- Cards flippin and floppin all over

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    it's really putting out that "2 mana artifact" vibe to me

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Eyether Vial

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Whenever a blue spell is cast, you may gain 200 life.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Elbasunu wrote: »

You lose the game at the beginning of your next end step.

"Try to break this" the arch council declared.

Edit: I'm aware it'd be easy to break the shit out of gaining 200 life.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Forar wrote:
    Elbasunu wrote: »

You lose the game at the beginning of your next end step.

"Try to break this" the arch council declared.

Edit: I'm aware it'd be easy to break the shit out of gaining 200 life.

I was mostly just making a joke that maybe it is a jar full of Kraken Eyes.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Just had my first draft yesterday. I thought it was pretty neat. My friend somehow got Liliana of the Veil and Garruk Relentless for his Black/Green deck.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Just had my first draft yesterday. I thought it was pretty neat. My friend somehow got Liliana of the Veil and Garruk Relentless for his Black/Green deck.

He should buy a lottery ticket. Maybe just a scratch off, he'll win something nice.

• Options
    He was quite dissapointed that he didn't get a Snapcaster Mage as well.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Tell him he can go suck it.

I've drafted like twenty times and attended sealed tournaments multiple times and I still haven't opened a Snapcaster, Garruk or Liliana! All the while people left and right of me are getting them and start bragging about it! The Magic Gods are mocking me.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    sirboxalotsirboxalot Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Chen wrote:
    I've drafted like twenty times and attended sealed tournaments multiple times and I still haven't opened a Snapcaster, Garruk or Liliana! All the while people left and right of me are getting them and start bragging about it! The Magic Gods are mocking me.

Me too. Only opened them in prize packs or (the worst kind of pack) a purchased pack.

The best rare in my sealed pool at GP San Diego was Divine Reckoning. :(

sirboxalot on
    Everyday I'm shufflin' shufflin'
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Yeah I was happy about Birds of Paradise until my friend opened his Planeswalkers.

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I got a box over Christmas.

Liliana was in the very last pack I opened.

I felt like she was trolling me.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:

Lies. Liliana isn't available in packs. Nor are Garruk (Relentless & Primal Hunter), Jace (TMS &r MA), or Tezzeret AOB. Heck, you can only find Gideon and Elspeth Tirel if there's some sort of collating error.

Oh, wait. That's just packs that I open. :P

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Incidentally, I opened Gideon and Elspeth Tirel at their respective prereleases and none of the PWs above. Brofist.

I think my worst memory of opening packs was opening Ajani Vengeant and Nicol Bolas, PW at GP Rotterdam and immediately had to ship it once I registered the cards. The dude who got my pool went on to top 8 that event.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Yeah I was happy about Birds of Paradise until my friend opened his Planeswalkers.

Hey, Planeswalkers will always cycle out, but Birds are forever.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    edited January 2012
    WuShock wrote:

Hey, Planeswalkers will always cycle out, but Birds are forever.

Plus or minus 9th Edition. Yes, they were immediately put into Ravnica, but there was a ~4 month window where they weren't legal.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Feral wrote:

Lies. Liliana isn't available in packs. Nor are Garruk (Relentless & Primal Hunter), Jace (TMS &r MA), or Tezzeret AOB. Heck, you can only find Gideon and Elspeth Tirel if there's some sort of collating error.

Oh, wait. That's just packs that I open. :P

The only other decent walker I've opened was a Tezz Agent, foil, on the Besieged prerelease. Sold it on eBay to a French guy for $70.

I opened a Sorin Markov at the Zen prerelease but meh. Immediately traded him in for $20 store credit.

I'm probably going to sell this Liliana. I've noticed that with the exception of JMS, walkers always depreciate, and Liliana is already on a slow decline.

• Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Finally the LGS which opened a few months ago got 8 players for a draft (prev was 6 weeks ago) and they did a rare redraft

And I won! got to pick lili :^:

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Well, tomorrow is the annual Chaos Draft + Rotisserie Draft (with the final being Solomon Draft). This year being Innistrad edition. What kind of strategy should I go for? I'm open to anything non-green.

Devil's Play, Liliana, Olivia, Grimgrin, Skirsdag High Priest, Sever the Bloodline, Angelic Overseer, Slayer of the Wicked, Brimstone Volley all seem like reasonable first picks. B/R has the most removal which I like, but U/W isn't terrible either if you can get Angelic Overseer + Invisible Stalker. I may force Burning Vengeance depending on if I can get Devil's Play, Brimstone Volley and/or Snapcaster. Blue doesn't really have broken cards unfortunately, except maybe Cackling Counterpart considering it's a bomb-filled environment. Works well with Burning Vengeance too. If worst comes to worst I'll go for a five colour special.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    why do people like garruk relentless?
    he's pretty bad. i've traded away almost a playset of him.

birds of paradise, on the other hand, is totally OP and the most compelling reason to play green ever.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Lucedes wrote:
    why do people like garruk relentless?
    he's pretty bad. i've traded away almost a playset of him.

birds of paradise, on the other hand, is totally OP and the most compelling reason to play green ever.

He's still better than Phyrexian Obliterator. I think people like Garruk Relentless because he's novel, and he's a psuedo-green removal spell.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    More like because the card is just good. It's the new Master of the Wild Hunt that doesn't die to Doom Blade.

• Options
    My haul of this evening:
    20120109000008.jpg

20120109000156.jpg

Dark Confidant and Chain Lightning were from the chaos draft and the rest were from prizes.

I'll never complain about opening nothing of monetary value ever again. :P

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    chen, you don't have no luck.

you were saving it up for that goyf.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    You probably can't see it from that poor lighting, but it's foil. A foil Italian goyf... Yeah I don't believe it either. It's like a lucid dream.

I also won a random Alliances pack at the raffle but didn't get a FoW unfortunately. :P

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    So wait... why didn't that FTV:L have Progenitus or Mikaeus?

• Options
    Chen wrote:
    You probably can't see it from that poor lighting, but it's foil. A foil Italian goyf... Yeah I don't believe it either. It's like a lucid dream.

i saw the shining pretty clearly.

• Options
    Yeah but do you have a foil Hollowhenge Scavenger?

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    my friend bought a pack of whatever and got that gyof or whatever. store buys it for $60, he's probably gonna do it. good idea/bad idea?

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    $60 is on the lower side of the spectrum, but I think it's within reason. I've seen Tamogoyfs that go for $90 though.

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I hope they actually have some good Zombie Creatures to compliment the good Zombie Enchants and Sorceries that have come out with Innistrad and Dark Ascension.

• Options
    Gravecrawer looks good, possibly worth playing some zombies for. we'll need to see the other zombies, of course.
    also, Strangleroot Geist is definitely making green a better color already. what a beast in limited!

ravenous demon is like lord of the pit on crack!
    ray of revelation looks neat, a beautiful take on ancient grudge, but has maybe no application outside of Enchantress-hate.

i already love fateful hour as a mechanic, since it's been so well-executed in other games. CRITICAL MODE ENGAGED.

• Options
    My favorite card previewed so far is still Faithless Looting.

However, Strangleroot Geist and Gravecrawler are interesting.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    My main concern about Fateful Hour is that it puts you at risk of Brimstone Volley, and I suspect that red burn is going to become a lot stronger with Faithless Looting.

Feral on

• Options
    Feral wrote:
    My main concern about Fateful Hour is that it puts you at risk of Brimstone Volley, and I suspect that red burn is going to become a lot stronger with Faithless Looting.

i had that thought. then i thought "but what if red decks now have to be careful of triggering fateful hour?" i think it mostly balances out.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Lucedes wrote:
    Feral wrote:

i had that thought. then i thought "but what if red decks now have to be careful of triggering fateful hour?" i think it mostly balances out.

I think it'll depend a lot on what Fateful Hour cards are available. I'm not really impressed by Gather the Townsfolk's Fateful Hour ability. (It's still a 2-for-1 token generator, which is decent in limited.) Something along the lines of Second Chance, though, would be very good.

Feral on

• Options
    A reprint of Worship would make a lot of sense thematically and would be really funny.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    They've already got Witchbane Orb, which could be quite handy in preventing death by Brimstone Volley.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote:
    So wait... why didn't that FTV:L have Progenitus or Mikaeus?

I gave the Progenitus to a friend and Mikaeus was lost somewhere in a box. Oops.

Sweet preview cards. Zombies could potentially be very annoying and I hate zombies. I hope red gets some love. Is flashback confirmed to be in DA? Because that would be extra awesome with Faithless Looting. I guess it's still awesome with Chandra's Phoenix and Desperate Ravings, so can't complain too much.

V0Gug2h.png