As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMO's on the 360

FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I know that there are a few coming out “relatively” soon – Age of Conan and the Marvel MMO… (please add more if you know of them!)

My question is whether you think that this will be a big trend? With the move towards multiple platforms (360 – Vista), more MMO’s adopting VOIP over the usual text chat mechanisms… Perhaps there will be more and more coming?

I guess there will be issues, regarding servers and monthly fee’s independent of live, considering that a fully fledged MMO would be more server-intensive than a “lobby” style service.

And how do you think this would affect the games? Having to cater for both control mechanisms, will the 360 enable the keyboard for gaming?

I’m interested in throwing out the topic and seeing what people think… concerns? Benefits? Let me know!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fallingman on

• Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The PS2 had a few MMOs, right? How did those work out, anyway?

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I know we're talking years in the future but one day Nintendo will release an MMO game and roughly a month later my dehydrated body will be found decomposing in my house, controller still in hand.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I know we're talking years in the future but one day Nintendo will release an MMO game and roughly a month later my dehydrated body will be found decomposing in my house, controller still in hand.
    It'll be great entering 63 individual friend codes just to get enough people together to raid some high end dungeon.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    How do you actually communicate? If it's voice only I'm utterly uninterested. Not only do I want to hear the random squeals of Typical Internet People, but I don't want to talk back to them either.

Echo on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Chromehounds
    Final Fantasy XI
    Phantasy Star Universe

Two of these also support the keyboard, but everyone uses voice chat anyway.

Samphis on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I know that the Marvel MMO is coming to the PSP and something else. Good thing there's that headset.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Wait, you CAN use a keyboard? I thought it was a blanket "Not available for ingame useage"

??

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    just out of interest, how does the voice chat work on a console mmo?
    chat channels?
    cant imagine having a huge amount of voices sounding off all over whenever you enter a town/city.

S-Starwind on
    XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Battlestar Galactica Online..

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The money thing puts me off a little. I have gotten used to paying for MMOG's on the PC, basically it's a 2-step process. You pay your ISP for your net connection and then you pay to play the game. MMOG's on the 360 adds another layer (admittedly small), as I have to pay for a gold account as well. It's a small nit I'm picking here and I will give in eventually, but for now it bothers me.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    EQOA (ps2 EQ mmo) supported keyboards for chat but IMO it wasn't a very good game. Its had an expansion too but I think the playerbase is somewhere below 50k atleast last time I actually played it (several years).

Think of Everquest Online Adventures as EQ-Lite.

powersurge on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Isn't FF11 already on the 360?

core tactic on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yep

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Voranth wrote:

I like this guy.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fallingman wrote:

Wait, you CAN use a keyboard? I thought it was a blanket "Not available for ingame useage"

??

Nah, just about any USB keyboard works really well with a 360. My wireless one was sweet for Final Fantasy Online.

I'm really looking forward to the Conan game. I'm hoping that will be the one to pull in my non-MMO friends.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I guess my hope here is that in the attempt to create games for the 360 - that they dont end up dumbing them down too much. I would rather have a game with some good immersive complexity, even if it mean t a slightly clumsy interface with the controller.

Or that they dont make the games too "arcady".

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fallingman wrote:

??

Ypu can use one but only for communication. It cant be used for gameplay, im pretty sure thats the way it goes at least.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Roshin wrote:
    MMOG's on the 360 adds another layer (admittedly small), as I have to pay for a gold account as well. It's a small nit I'm picking here and I will give in eventually, but for now it bothers me.

I thought the pay for subscription games on the 360 they were just going to require the Silver (free) membership?

djklay on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    djklay wrote:
    Roshin wrote:
    MMOG's on the 360 adds another layer (admittedly small), as I have to pay for a gold account as well. It's a small nit I'm picking here and I will give in eventually, but for now it bothers me.

I thought the pay for subscription games on the 360 they were just going to require the Silver (free) membership?

Yes, that's all.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Personally I can't wait for MMOs on the 360. I'm tired of typing, I want to just yell shit at people. Better yet I want to RP as the illegitimate black son of Spider-Man in full vocal glory.
    Seriously, though, fuck typing.
    I know that the Marvel MMO is coming to the PSP and something else. Good thing there's that headset.

PC and 360 only. I doubt Microsoft, the publisher of it, would be too keen on releasing a PSP version.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well I know there's some Superhero MMO coming to the PSP.

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The NGage had an MMO so the PSP might as well get one too.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Where's my .Hack MMO for the love of god?

core tactic on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Nalouto wrote:
    Voranth wrote:

I like this guy.

From what I hear, FFXI is shaping up nicely with all of the expansions, but some of the new areas and modes are a little too much for the PS2, chunking up and whatnot. It also requires the HDD, which is nice for stuff like expansions and patching, but sucks if you have the redesign. It's been confirmed that it either is or very shortly will be compatb with the PS3, though (which brings me hope that Front Mission Online will eventually see some type of limited release outside of Japan since the hardware to play it will be more widespread). I played it for a while, but couldn't get into it (too much work, and not enough reward for my pitiful level fifteen hume warrior). There is a decent amount of PAers that play it, though, but mainly on the PC and 360.

Phantasy Star Universe isn't exactly an MMO, it's the Diablo style multiplayer where the world only lasts as long as there is a character in it.

EQOA is supposed to be a lot of fun if you are a hardcore EQ fan, but they raised the monthly price to current game standards, so the playerbase is slowly dwindling, leaving only the hardcore fans. That, and the fact that the game patches take up a decent chunk of space on your memory card sort of sucks.

Einhander on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    First we need a 9yr kid to release a virus that takes down the internet for a while. Then get all online games banned.

THEN we can release the .hack MMO.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm more interested in the two MMOFPS games for 360.
    Citizen Zero and Huxley.

Though I wish they would bring back True Fantasy Live Online

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm curious as to how an MMO would be feasible on a machine with 13GB of usable HDD space. Final Fantasy XI clocks in at around ~8-9GB (without expansions) with PlayOnline installed as well on the PS2.

How much space does it take up on the 360?

Einhander on
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Einhander wrote:
    I'm curious as to how an MMO would be feasible on a machine with 13GB of usable HDD space. Final Fantasy XI clocks in at around ~8-9GB (without expansions) with PlayOnline installed as well on the PS2.

I recall it being close to 8-10 gigs with the expansions.

Also, I'm pretty certain that Warhammer Online is coming to the 360. Oh and there's APB that MMO GTA style game by Real Time Worlds and Crimecraft (which is arguably the same game but by a no name) coming as well.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • Options
    JetBlackCenterJetBlackCenter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GimpyBoy wrote:
    Einhander wrote:

Also, I'm pretty certain that Warhammer Online is coming to the 360. Oh and there's APB that MMO GTA style game by Real Time Worlds and Crimecraft (which is arguably the same game but by a no name) coming as well.

That would mean I won't need to buy a new PC, and that would be a good thing...

JetBlackCenter on
    schoolrumble4wh6zd.gif341.gif
    BRAWL CODE: 3866-7685-8500
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GimpyBoy wrote:
    Einhander wrote:

I have close to 6 GB left with Final Fantasy on my 360 hard drive.

As far as Warhammer, it's considered a rumor at this point, but at last year's E3 they actually had people playing the game on 360s in a back showroom who were also interacting with people out on the floor playing it on the PC (1up and Gamespot both have reports on it if you do a search). So while they say they are currently looking into the possibility, they already have the game running on the 360 at the very least. You can do the one on one chat with other 360 users with the game, but otherwise the game doesn't support the voice chat system.

Age of Conan was also announced fairly recently for the 360 as well.

And yeah, with MMOs, if you have absolutely no interest in Live, you can still play any MMO released with a free silver account.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So if you've only got 6GB left on your HDD, where are you going to put all of those high def movies and TV shows and other content that MS wants you to buy off of Live Marketplace? Hard disc space shouldn't be a commodity, and I think that it will be a detriment to MS's sales of extra downloadable content (like movies, TV shows, and games) not so much because consumers don't want it, but because it simply won't fit.

I think that a much bigger HDD is a requirement before MMOs and other games like it are able to be played feasibly on the 360. If you play Final Fantasy XI right now, and you also want to play Warhammer or Conan, you'll probably have to uninstall something, right? How much would that suck?

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm sure larger HDDs will be here by Christmas.

Personally I'm hoping for a 100gb HDD with the Marvel MMO pre-installed but the game isn't slated until 2008 at the earliest.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    I'm sure larger HDDs will be here by Christmas.

Personally I'm hoping for a 100gb HDD with the Marvel MMO pre-installed but the game isn't slated until 2008 at the earliest.

If they charge you $100 for a 20GB, hgow much will they charge for a 100GB? M$ M$ LOL the 100gb drive will retail for five hundred and ninety nine US dollars!!!11

I wonder what kind of conversations are going on over at Blizzard right now about World of Warcraft and the 360/PS3? As if their stranglehold on the PC MMO market wasn't enough, I could only imagine how much money they would make if they had income from console gamers as well.

That said, I'm looking forward to hearing more abut Warhammer.

Einhander on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    Personally I can't wait for MMOs on the 360. I'm tired of typing, I want to just yell shit at people. Better yet I want to RP as the illegitimate black son of Spider-Man in full vocal glory.

PC and 360 only. I doubt Microsoft, the publisher of it, would be too keen on releasing a PSP version.

I hate voice chat myself. I'm in the group of people who really don't want to hear what a bunch of internet twelve year old nerds sound like. Plus, from the times I have listened in on voice chat, I honestly have absolutely no idea who's talking. Put a dozen guys on mikes and they all sound pretty identical.

I'm not getting a 360 either way, but with the Marvel game being a crossover PC game it could be a big negative for me if I have to use voice chat to play on teams.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Scooter wrote:
    Accualt wrote:

I hate voice chat myself. I'm in the group of people who really don't want to hear what a bunch of internet twelve year old nerds sound like. Plus, from the times I have listened in on voice chat, I honestly have absolutely no idea who's talking. Put a dozen guys on mikes and they all sound pretty identical.

I'm not getting a 360 either way, but with the Marvel game being a crossover PC game it could be a big negative for me if I have to use voice chat to play on teams.
    It worked very, very well for DDO, for all that's worth.

But it also puts a damper on the plans of many a mangina player.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    MrDeadManMrDeadMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

http://www.rpgamer.com/features/tgs2005/hackfragmenttgsimpression.html

Apparantly, it's coming.

MrDeadMan on
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MrDeadMan wrote:

http://www.rpgamer.com/features/tgs2005/hackfragmenttgsimpression.html

Apparantly, it's coming.

Must be an old article. Fragment has been out in Japan for months now, and Bandai has stated that it was never getting a US release.

Aoi on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What about APB (All Points Bulletin) coming to 360 and PC? I remember it was announced before 360 even came out with a couple concept shots, but we haven't heard anything about it since.

It's a cops and robbers MMORPG where you play as either a cop or a gang member. It's being developed by Real Time Worlds (Crackdown, led by creator of GTA) and published by Webzen. Runs on the Unreal Engine 3.

Official site - http://www.apb.com/

There isn't much info about it, and we probably wont see it for a while, but it's kind of a neat idea for an MMO and I know Crackdown has lots of fans here.

bruin on